Our partner

What's a normal mood?

Dysthymia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What's a normal mood?

Postby Uhura » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:47 am

I am afraid of saying I am doing well. Telling people that when asked how I am scares me. I don't know why.

I also have Bipolar type two. I have never understood how it is possible to have that and dysthymia but I guess it is possible. The depressive parts of BP are easy to recognize.

But I don't know what the other moods are. If I weren't afraid of admiting when I am doing well, would they be normal moods? Or are they depressed and it is possible to be happier.

If I knew if it was possible to be happier and knew the line between happy and mania, which I don't have even though it is part of BP type two, I would know what disorder is giving me problems. If I knew where the line between normal mood and dysthemia, I would know if the dysthymic disorder is improving.

I have been in therapy enough of my life that I obsess over normal moods, which makes them drop. The few times I forget to label moods and get over my obsessing them, I am doing better than when I am trying to label them.

And if anyone has any advice on overcoming being afraid of saying how I am, please let me know. I manage an 'ok' which is relative. Everyone is ok compared to something. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. My lows of BP fall into self-injury so are closer to clinical depression. I also have Schizoid Personality Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, epilepsy, and a learning -disability NOS. Maybe this should be in the BP forum. Sorry if this is wrong.
Uhura
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What's a normal mood?

Postby Ada » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:40 pm

I have no idea how to define "normal". In some ways, all kinds of moods are normal, because almost everyone feels extremes eventually in their life, no matter what the mood is. And I don't know how I could compare my moods with yours. It's like when Schizoids talk about "friends", we tend to mean something very different to what Muggles (non-schizoids) might mean, but it's still the same word.

Being afraid of saying how you are. Could that be because you aren't sure of the answer, because as you say, it's all so relative? Or because you don't want to be judged, because people can get very stupid about "depressed" people having a "happy" day? Or because you don't want to have to explain to people? I feel like that sometimes, especially if I don't know the person. It feels intrusive even though I know it's a social formality and they only want me to say "fine". Or "mustn't grumble" if I'm feeling specially British.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby Uhura » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:38 pm

I will have to think about the reasons you suggested. I don't know if they are right or not but will think about them. Maybe recognizing why I am afraid of saying how I am will help me to stop being afraid. Being a positive person scares me.
Thank you for the reply.
Uhura
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Ada » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:57 am

You don't have to be positive if you don't want to. Many people go through life "telling it like they see it" and that's just called Cynicism or Realism. It's only if they are negative unnecessarily that I'd find it a problem. Although that's just me, others differ.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (35)

Return to Dysthymia