Our partner

Can't remember a life without depression?

Dysthymia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can't remember a life without depression?

Postby Roseredpinball » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:33 am

You know those questionnaires that are used to diagnose whether or not a person has depression? I never know how to answer that one question asking "have you lost interest in activities/hobbies that you used to have an interest in?" Like, uh, idk, I've always had depression. How the hell am I supposed to know that? Same thing with those articles talking about "getting back to normal" and recovering from depression, but what is "normal"? I can't remember a time before having dysthymia. I can't remember a time when I was "happy". I mean, don't get me wrong, I have my ups and downs like anyone else, but I can't remember a life without depression. So how am I supposed to "get back to normal" or "reclaim my identity" when dysthymia has always been part of my identity? I do feel like my dysthymia has worsened over the years, but I also feel like I may have always had it. I have anxiety as well, and I'm fairly certain I've always had that too, even when I was a kid. I wasn't diagnosed with anxiety until almost middle school though.

Does anyone else feel this way? It's so frustrating.
Roseredpinball
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can't remember a life without depression?

Postby Snaga » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:32 pm

Well I've heard anxiety and depression often go hand-in-hand; or that anxiety often leads to chronic depression.

I've occasionally wished they'd put Depressive Personality Order back into the DSM. It was removed, several editions ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressiv ... y_disorder

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Re: Can't remember a life without depression?

Postby Alliana » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:50 am

I also cannot for the life of me remember what it was like without depression. I just know before I got into a deep depression, some guy told me that I was hideous with a wooden personality that harmed my heart because I loved him. I turned off my feelings and now can't seem to turn them back on without being overwhelmed by the immense flood of emotions.

But yeah, I have been like this for 10 years now, I wish it would stop and that I can be finally happy.
Alliana
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Return to Dysthymia

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post