Our partner

New to discussing my dysthymia openly

Dysthymia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

New to discussing my dysthymia openly

Postby NitroWarrior » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi so I've suffered with dysthymia since I was around 12 years old not getting diagnosed untill after I had my first child. I've tried a few different SSRI's and I've gone down the councilor route. I was managing my dysthymia pretty well for about a year without medication until I fell pregnant with my second child. He's now 6 months old and I'm finding it really difficult to get my dysthymia under control I really don't want to go back onto SSRI's again and I don't really feel like I'm in the right place to talk to a professional about it yet either. Really I'm just looking for a bit of advice. Any tips or tricks anyone has found helpful. I don't really have anyone I can talk to about it as I'm very worried about what people will think of me if they knew I had dysthymia. My partner tries to help but he doesn't really understand what it's like so he can't offer much help. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
NitroWarrior
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: New to discussing my dysthymia openly

Postby Shattered Mind » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi,
Idk what SSRI(s) you were on in the past, but there are also meds that are not SSRIS that worked on my dysthymia. For me SSRIs worked best, but I had problems with side effects. I go on and off my current antidepressant Mirtazapine depending on how I'm doing. When off the most helpful thing is exercise. I get myself to the gym 3x a week and set aside time to do it because I know my mood can become unstable if I don't. The other big thing is sleep. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Everybody is different but I need 7 to 8 hours a night to stay stable. I sometimes take a sleeping pill if I'm having sleep issues but try not to do it regularly for fear of developing dependence on them. Avoiding alcohol as helps, but I'm less good about that.

In short, if I make it a priority to take care of your body my mood is more stable. I can be a slacker and skip all that and be stable on meds but the side effects aren't fun for me.

-S
Dx: Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Shattered Mind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:42 pm

Postby ostertagpa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 am

Having people to talk to has been really important and helpful to me. Both friends and also a therapist. So I hope you will reconsider seeing a professional again. Someone also turned me on to this book called The Mindful Way through Depression and that offered a new perspective for me. (I tend to ruminate, and think that I should be able to think my way out of my dysthymia, but the book suggests doing the opposite--learning to calm your mind by practicing mindfulness.) It helped some and I'm continuing to read it, but it definitely hasn't been a cure.
ostertagpa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:42 pm

Postby goodmystery » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 am

Hi, I can understand not wanting to get back on the meds. I will say I have been tried on everything the psych doc had to offer. Different combinations, dosages etc. I had also been tried in the past and the only one that worked for me was Wellbutrin. All those SSRIs just did not work on my brain. Fast forward many years and the Wellbutrin is not working anymore. Increased max dose helped but caused side effects I could not handle. Now I am on a med thats not working but if I tried to get off would have side effects I don't feel up to handling. Now thats my story concerning the meds. From reading a bunch of posts on dysthymia as well as articles. Regular exercise helps. I can't seem to muster energy to even start that for some reason. So, if you give that Ia try I hope it works for you. Take care.
goodmystery
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:42 pm

Return to Dysthymia

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post