Our partner

[Q]How can I live with Dysthymia?

Dysthymia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

[Q]How can I live with Dysthymia?

Postby rocknok2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:20 am

Hello everyone,

Usually I'd introduce myself with my name, but for now, I'm rocknok. I'm 21 years old male, Lebanese, and Living in Canada. I was diagnosed with Dysthymia when shortly before I turned 18 (I was Diagnosed with Social Anxiety as well, but I no longer suffer from it).

Dysthymia, for me, alongside SAD, I think either caused or compounded my academic troubles - that being avoiding going to school, and staying at home instead- which caused me to lose 3 years of highschool, which I'm about to finish.

I've never talked about this issue with anyone but the Phsychologist who diagnosed me - and shortly after I received medication, I stopped going to my therapy sessions (Which I wouldn't go to on a regular basis, despite scheduling for regular sessions). For as long as I remember, my attendance in everything I do would be extremely erratic. I'd be excellent for about 2-4 weeks, and then I start attending on & off, missing sessions or classes. Primarily due to moments (days) of not caring. - later on I'd have a major depressive episode that would last a couple of weeks as well every couple weeks, or months (usually triggered by stress, or bumps on the road).

A couple days ago, I found myself standing on the edge of my window (I live in an apartment). I've calmed down since, and have had support from my family. I've decided that I'm going to move back to Lebanon as soon as I've graduated highschool, in an attempt to escape dysthymia. But I doubt it would have a real impact.

I have ambitions in politics, and law - and i really want to make a change in the world, but I don't know how to reach my goals with this mental illness constantly making my life miserable.

Other issues include a terrible appetite - being underweight, insomnia, and lack of motivation. I feel like I'm existing - and I feel that I have no control over my life. I know there's no permanent treatment to get rid of Dysthymia -- I don't want to commit to CBT or medication for the rest of my life, either.

Are there any coping strategies to help me stay on track with my goals during the onset of a depressive episode?

Please don't feel limited with your suggestions, thank you in advance.
rocknok2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: [Q]How can I live with Dysthymia?

Postby Cyberfang » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Are you still on medication now? I was diagnosed with Dysthymia when I was just 13 years old and have learned to push myself no matter what, I've never been on medication for it, only my BPD. it's important not to let your disorder hinder and control you, though easier said than done.
there's no such thing as true good or true evil, its all relative to the observer.
Cyberfang
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Postby rocknok2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:16 am

Cyberfang wrote:Are you still on medication now? I was diagnosed with Dysthymia when I was just 13 years old and have learned to push myself no matter what, I've never been on medication for it, only my BPD. it's important not to let your disorder hinder and control you, though easier said than done.

No, I only took medication thrice - once to work myself out of SAD, and twice for major depressive episodes when I had important work to do. I've been trying to shave everyday, but again it's hard to care about doing anything. Is there anything you do when you're in the dumps?

PS: "Always look on the bright side of life" is quite helpful for some reason.
rocknok2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Cyberfang » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:50 am

Depressive episodes, I tend to wait out. Distracting yourself with something you take interest in may help, but personally it never offered much for me as I have concentration difficulty.
there's no such thing as true good or true evil, its all relative to the observer.
Cyberfang
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Postby rocknok2 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:46 pm

I see - well thanks for your help!
rocknok2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Auxiliary11 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:50 pm

rocknok2 wrote:For as long as I remember, my attendance in everything I do would be extremely erratic. I'd be excellent for about 2-4 weeks, and then I start attending on & off, missing sessions or classes. Primarily due to moments (days) of not caring.

Ain't that the truth.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:44 pm

Postby meganmarkey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi RockNok,
I went through the same thing for 10 years. Last year in January 2015 I was on 4 different types of medication for all functions - lexapro, adderall, wellbutrin and lunesta. I saw all the harvard trained doctors. I finally figured out how to cure my depression through colonics. I spent years on this site trying to figure out what was wrong with me - this has really helped me. I'm no longer on any meds. Message me if you want to know more, but 95% of serotonin is produced in your gut! No classically trained doctors will tell you this. It's definitely worth trying any type of gut cleanse and then removing inflammatory foods like gluten. This is what worked for me!
meganmarkey
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Dysthymia

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post