Our partner

Do I have a type of dyslexia?

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Do I have a type of dyslexia?

Postby BBill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 pm

My whole life i have had issues with sentence comprehension, i can read words properly and spell them properly but when reading a sentence as a whole, the individual words combined sound like jibberish to me for several reads through, usually i have to reread every few sentences 8-9 times. Is this a type of dyslexia, or some other disorder?
BBill
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do I have a type of dyslexia?

Postby Naimesis » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 am

I've been thinking about that too. Today specially, since I'm trying to study and it's getting on my nerves. I also have issues reading stuff. I can read and comprehend simple sentences just fine, specially if short, individually or only a few together. But when I'm reading complex sentences, or reading a book - be it a story or studying - it feels like I can't make sense of what the sentence, or the many sentences mean. So I read and keep reading and get frustrated that I can't make sense of it. Sometimes I have to end up reading every single word of the sentence slowly, make out its sense individually, and then try to piece it together. This troubles me a lot when studying and reading books. I'm reading some sentence or paragraph, and then realize I haven't "actually read it", and go back to read it again, sometimes repeating this process for quite some times until I'm able (or not) to make full sense of it. Or I'm reading, and then stop and think I didn't really pay attention to what I read a while before, and read again. Speaking of attention, I was diagnosed Attention Deficit, and always thought of this as some kind of attention/focus issue, but I happened to stumble upon dyslexia and it got me thinking. Or maybe I'm just plain dumb, that's another possibility.
No diagnosis or medication. Just a ###$ up dude.
Naimesis
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:55 pm

Postby BBill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:30 am

No one is "just plain dumb" when it comes to mental capacity. Everything that happens within our brains is either by their efficiency or deficiency of ability to comprehend information.

Also: Dumb means "lack of ability to speak", mostly caused by deafness from birth, Or to lower the level of intelligence required to interpret information by changing words, making it easier to understand for someone with a lower IQ. But reading comprehension and interpretation of information are two different things, and this disability has to do with comprehension.
BBill
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Postby Dana00 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:51 am

Dyslexia has to do with comprehension? No, it is not in my case. I can competently comprehend external data, reading, and audible words just fine. It is the output I have the issue with, the writing of letter or rarely of speaking words mixed. This is different from yours, I suppose.

Dyslexia is not a disability. A true disability is congruent to being fully impaired or one that creates barriers to meet and fulfill the basic areas in life. I find a disability as deliberating, which means is causes obstacles in your life that do not meet the equality of society nor the quality in one's own life.

Dyslexia is a limitation. A limitation is a condition that yes, puts "limits" on one's area or areas in life, but can still meet the necessities and requirements of every day. A limitation needs some kind of accommodation, but this accommodation can be easily met without creating adverse changes or eliminating other areas in one's career or other areas in life (family, parenting, relationships, hobbies, etc etc). This also includes meeting society in equality.

As soon as you put in the word disability, you automatically close many doors to potential possibilities and the future. I have seen many physicians in wheelchairs apply proficient practice, and I dont think in any way do they see themselves with a disability.
Dana00
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Return to Dyslexia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post