Our partner

Is this dyslexia?

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is this dyslexia?

Postby ZaeTheGlitterpuff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 am

I've had this problem ever since I could read, but I was really ashamed that I couldn't read as well as all the other kids, so I hid it. I'm 14 now, and it's still here and as bad as ever.

When I read, words will switch places, letters will flip themselves around, and words will squish themselves together and letters will overlap- it just makes it impossible to read sometimes, and it makes me so tired whenever I read. I love reading, I love books, stories- everything, it's just so hard to read sometimes.

My handwriting is really bad, too. My spelling sucks when I write, but it's better when I spell out loud. I mouth words when I write- writing is really painful sometimes, though, because I hold the pencil wrong and my hand cramps up. I can't translate my thoughts into words right, either- I'm really bad at taking precise notes in class, summarizing what the teacher says and everything. Sometimes I'll be writing a sentace about topic A and then in the middle I'll reandomly switch to topic C, not on purpose, though!

I didn't know what any of this is called until I read a book, and the main character was dyslexic, and I though "hey, that sounds a bit like me!", so I found this forum and decided to post.
ZaeTheGlitterpuff
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is this dyslexia?

Postby jasmin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi, Zae! It might be good for you to tell your parents and maybe a teacher at school about this and inform your regular doctor. Ask to be tested for dyslexia and maybe then they can get you some kind of help.
You're obviously a smart person, this is something that affects lots of people.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby PFC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:15 pm

First of all, do not panic and don't get discouraged. There are many solutions to this.
First tell your parents and seek professional help to determine what exactly the problems is.
I know there are many soft wares available or programs you can get into. :D
PFC
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:38 pm

Postby teacherman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Zae,
Sorry I didn't see this when you first posted it. Try rotating your book until the words stand still and make sense to you. You may even find that you'll read much better upside-down. Do not let this freak you out. It's much more common than you might think. If it works, GOOGLE "Print Inverted Reading and Writing"

I'd be curious to know if you gave it a try.... :?
Teacherman
teacherman
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Dyslexia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post