Our partner

A few questions

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

A few questions

Postby jbander » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:45 am

I've known my whole life that I had a problem and when I heard the definition of dyslexia ,I knew that was the problem was. I just took a test for dyslexia on the Internet and it suggested I had a major dyslexia problem. I'm 71 and I fell into, maybe by the grace of God, I became a potter and a Volleyball instructor for my whole life. Still work every day with different direction in art. I've been lucky , without this falling in my lap ,I would be living on the street, where my Dad Lived most of his life. He was a very Bright man, he had a great mind that was used in a very non functional way.
Two questions, I do this in speaking and writing, I assume people know much of what I'll say and I start not at the beginning of a thought but halfway through the thought, which through my life have left me with a blank stares from the people I'm talking to. I do that in writing also.
In writing and I've been told in talking also, I will put the end of a comment or sentence in the middle and I'm able in writing to turn around letters on a word totally up to a 7 letter long. I count, I do a lot of writing on a computer keyboard and found out how bad this really is. The faster I type the more drastic are the problems. Never knew it was this bad until I increased my typing speed considerably. Is some of that possibly something else or is this typical of Dyslexia. Any Ideas to improve on these last two issues.
jbander
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: A few questions

Postby MasoCat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:46 am

I do both of these things and I am dyslexic, so from my personal point of view/experience I would say that it's probably a dyslexic thing.

I was "trained out of it" at school in writing though, but it still happens every now and again where I will jump around to random points in my thoughts and blurt them out instead of following the natural progression of the thoughts vocally. So I think I understand what you mean.
PM me for DX information if for some reason you need it.
24 / bisexual / trans man / UK
MasoCat
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A few questions

Postby Iwantfearaway1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:43 am

I am a registered nurse and dyslexic, I get blank stares too. I try and laugh through it. My usual come back will be "I'm not sure if I explained that correctly", laughingly "You probably just should ask me what you didnt understand." That way it isn't so awkward. I'm 52 and it has been very tough through the years. I didn't find out till this year when my grandson was diagnosed.
Iwantfearaway1
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:52 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Dyslexia Forum