Our partner

Adult Dyslexia

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Adult Dyslexia

Postby bunnybug » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:41 am

I can't think of a better title, since I've had these symptoms all my life but never diagnosed.

So I have had learning problems all my life, ones exactly like dyslexia. Describing the symptoms would basically be like reading out all the symptoms of dyslexia. As a kid I would write backwards, could barely read, had so many problems that many teachers would take my parents aside or school aids aside telling them upfront that I might have learning disabilities, most likely dyslexia. Thing is my elementary school was pure garbage, treated disabled kids like trash and refusing to help them. They fired my teacher for bringing up the subject that I might need special help. They then did a horrible attempt to find out my learning disabilities, giving me a test where I had redraw images. My only one good skill was drawing, meanwhile my handwriting looked like chicken scratch and I struggled horribly with writing and reading. They found nothing wrong with me(of course!) and declared me as a student without disabilities. I went on to believe that and barely passed any of my subjects up into high school.

Now in my 20s I started to realize that's complete bull. I still have the same exact symptoms since I was a kid. I was able to learn how to read and write very very slowly but still find writing and reading a hassle. Most people I talked with believe I probably do have dyslexia. My friend even confiding to me that all my writing is of someone with dyslexia. The only problem is I was never diagnosed. I tell my parents and they don't believe it, thinking I'm coming up with excuses or just trying to find more labels for myself. I kinda want to find out at least, I think a lot of low self confidence stems from all the problems I have. I always assumed I was an idiot in the past, it was hard to tell people that even as an adult I can barely tell left from right. Would it be waste of time and money to get a diagnosis? And do people even have diagnosis's for adults?
Do not be proud of your disorder, be proud it does not define you and your struggles with it.
bunnybug
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Adult Dyslexia

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:34 pm

Oh absolutely do go for a diagnosis..
There are far too many people out there that feel stupid and that they can't learn anything - only to find out that the real issue is dyslexia.. nothing to do with intelligence.
I have dyslexia and was only diagnosed as an adult - I'd always thought that i was stupid before that - I spent so long being told at school that i was thick and just couldn't be bothered that i really thought this was the case..
They absolutely do diagnose adults.. I can't say it will be cheap (around £400 in the UK) but it's absolutely worthwhile - i have a really good understanding now of how I learn the best and make use of a variety of different methods to help.
(have a google for ''dyslexia assessment'' in your area/location)
A diagnosis will be really useful for work, university, college - everything - especially your self esteem.

Have you tried out any of the dyslexia tests that you can find online at all? they're not to be used as a definitive diagnosis tool but they can give you a fairly decent understanding of whether dyslexia is the issue.

Just a quick question.. are you clumsy at all?
xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby bunnybug » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:16 pm

seabreezeblue wrote:Oh absolutely do go for a diagnosis..
There are far too many people out there that feel stupid and that they can't learn anything - only to find out that the real issue is dyslexia.. nothing to do with intelligence.
I have dyslexia and was only diagnosed as an adult - I'd always thought that i was stupid before that - I spent so long being told at school that i was thick and just couldn't be bothered that i really thought this was the case..
They absolutely do diagnose adults.. I can't say it will be cheap (around £400 in the UK) but it's absolutely worthwhile - i have a really good understanding now of how I learn the best and make use of a variety of different methods to help.
(have a google for ''dyslexia assessment'' in your area/location)
A diagnosis will be really useful for work, university, college - everything - especially your self esteem.

Have you tried out any of the dyslexia tests that you can find online at all? they're not to be used as a definitive diagnosis tool but they can give you a fairly decent understanding of whether dyslexia is the issue.

Just a quick question.. are you clumsy at all?
xx

Might as well try getting a diagnosis. I took a few dyslexia tests and it said I have a moderate to high chance I may have it. Yeah, sometimes I do awkward clumsy things sometimes. Not much though.
Do not be proud of your disorder, be proud it does not define you and your struggles with it.
bunnybug
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby seabreezeblue » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 pm

i'm glad you'll go for a diagnosis - the assessment process is actually pretty cool. (:

Lots of different tests and a few puzzles etc..

I asked about clumsiness due to your writing being like chicken scratch.. while that is one of things they mention as a dyslexia trait, It's more common in people with dyspraxa - and dyspraxia has some very very similar symptoms to dyslexia.
If you struggled to learn to ride a bike, if you tend to bump yourself on doorframes, if you struggled during games like netball etc at school and were one of the last to be picked for a team, then
it might be worth a look through the dyspraxia symptoms a bit - but the assessor should be able to determine whether you have one or both of them anyway.
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby bunnybug » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:41 pm

So here's an update. Kinda been busy but finally was able to find a place to test for this sort of stuff, it's a 4 month wait but hopefully I can find what it is. Also I don't think i've been unusually clumsy, but i'm sure i'll see into that.
bunnybug
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby bunnybug » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Final update!

Well it's been more than whole year but I finally had an official evaluation. The lady running it came to the conclusion that if I had it sooner as a child it would be easier to diagnosis. She said now that i'm an adult I had developed coping mechanisms that succeeded in dealing with my issues I had struggled with. She said diagnosis is going to be hard but what I should focus on is learning how to fix my reading skills. She also said even if I went through even more rigorous diagnosis it would be hard to pinpoint it at the stage i'm at now.

Sooo I guess i'm kinda disappointed but she said I would've been diagnosed with dyslexia if I was younger when the problems were more apparent. At least the diagnosis was cheap at 150 dollars where neurological testing is well over 5,000 or more.
bunnybug
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Dana00 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:23 am

I never had it as a kid. :?
Dana00
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:52 am