Our partner

The gift of Dyslexia

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

The gift of Dyslexia

Postby sam_scott10 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has dyslexia and recently read 'the gift of dyslexia'. After reading the book he said "Its like a manual for my brain". I thought this was pretty interesting so i read it.

Even though i'm not dyslexic, WOW, that book just blew me away. The way it talks about controlling your dyslexia and seeing it as a positive thing is baffling. :o

So, for those of you who have read it, what were your thoughts on it? Is it accurate when it talks about the emotional side of things? Did it really help you?

Also, if anyone has a bit of spare time, i wrote a review of the book here if you'd like to check it out.

Link: http://audiblecoupon.com/the-gift-of-dyslexia-review/

P.S - For those interested in reading it, there is a link to download the audio book free at the bottom of the review. Enjoy!
sam_scott10
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The gift of Dyslexia

Postby Dana00 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:24 am

Dyslexia is certainly not a "gift." It is a curse that comes with alot of frustration and extra time wasted. It also comes along with asserting your equality as well. Not a gift, not even close.
Dana00
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Re: The gift of Dyslexia

Postby SneakyTech » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:12 am

Dana00 wrote:Dyslexia is certainly not a "gift." It is a curse that comes with alot of frustration and extra time wasted. It also comes along with asserting your equality as well. Not a gift, not even close.

Dyslexia is frustrating, and it does require some extra effort, but it can be a gift. When I was tested, the counselor opened my results and gasped, "Oh, my! It's amazing you even got into college." I think she had a disorder of her own, but that's not my point. My point is, I have strong indicators, and I still feel like dyslexia is a blessing. I see what others don't. My strength is finding patterns and using those patterns to solve problems or fill in the unknowns.

I can't do things the way other people do. So, I have to find my own way. Turns out, finding new ways to do things is a valuable skill.
SneakyTech
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:03 am

Return to Dyslexia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post