Our partner

What Good is a Forum When Members Don't Communicate?

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What Good is a Forum When Members Don't Communicate?

Postby teacherman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:18 am

I was very excited to find this forum almost 2 months ago, but I'm curious why people don't respond? Obviously, there are people viewing according to the view counter. Not only did I post a few things myself, but I also responded to a few of the topics already there.

Since February 8th not one response to any posts....
Why? :?:
teacherman
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What Good is a Forum When Members Don't Communicate?

Postby seabreezeblue » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:49 am

I can't answer for others but i rarely step into the dyslexia forum because dyslexia does not define my life..
Dyslexia causes me specific issues at specific times (exams or remembering dates etc) but dyslexia for me is not a day to day issue.

I have many stategies in place to overcome my difficulties.. these include (but are not limited to) - using a voice to text programme, using a text to speech programme.. the ability to download pdf files and listen to them rather than learning from reading alone (i'm better at taking material in from hearing it than reading it).

For exams I use many methods.. I wear certain items of clothing so that they act as a visible cue for recalling information.
eg.. wearing a green top acts as a cue for recalling information about a theory from the Biologist George Grinker..

If i was still a child struggling through school then i'd find this forum invaluable but sadly i was left undiagnosed and thought to be thick at school. Just like so many other dyslexics - it was a huge hurdle.. insurmountable at times but as an adult = not so much.

Now the aspergers = i'm more likely to post about because it affects my daily life with NTs.

Ps.. i watched some of the video you put up about the dyslexic school but didn't comment because the only thought in my mind when i pressed to exit the video was one of intense sympathy for the little girl who was being made to read outloud.. brought back some awful memories of hating that at school.. I suppose that she won't mind as much if she knows that everyone else in the classroom has the same struggles as she does but did you see her body language through-out..? that was not the posture of a confident child.

Her head was down, she was covering her face with her hair and her body was all scrunched up in a protective/hiding manner.

(I have to add..as an aspie.. damn that classroom was chaotic - i got the urge to go and tidy it into some sort of order)
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby teacherman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks Sceptic, for your response.
You are right "on the mark" when you say that reading out loud is hard for dyslexics. Really, the only way they can get better is to practice it in a caring and nurturing environment. That's what New Hope provides.....

Alexandrina actually reads quite well when she's holding the book the best way for her - upside-down. Here she is reading from the old Dick and Jane reading series: *mod edit*
teacherman
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby seabreezeblue » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:12 pm

hmnn.. she's still definitely struggling there but looks a little bit more confident..

How old is she..?

As a side note; I recall reading upside down as a child and being told off and called stupid by my teachers for this.. they used to come and turn my book back the other way.
I could read perfectly both ways but the upside down method just felt like less of a strain on my brain somehow.
I have often wondered if many dyslexics have an issue with their brain converting the images to the right way up.. does make sense.

I'm quite unusual for a dyslexic as i don't have any issues with reading or spelling whatsoever.. my dyslexia causes the most issues with taking in information from the written word.

I also have a dyslexic computer - it types my words back to front :roll:

Ps.. from my experience.. have you considered that the whole reading upside down experience would be easier on the child if they could read the words from left to right instead of having to read them from right to left..?

eg; ( turn this upside down to see)
instead of ''the fox jumped over the dog''
- it should be ''dog the over jumped fox the''
Shine me a light up
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby teacherman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:20 am

She was in K last year when I shot that - either 5 or 6....

I've heard quite a few kids and adults say that teachers wouldn't allow them to read that way, even though it was clearly easier for them.

Were you able to write upside down, too? This boy is taking his first on-level spelling test with permission to do it inverted: *mod edit*

Steve

PS The right-to-left part of PI may be why it's easier. Just like we have left-handers and right-handers, there may be people whose eyes move better from right-to-left rather than left-to-right. If you investigate how the eye functions during reading, you'll find it's quite an involved process.
Last edited by teacherman on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
teacherman
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby teacherman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:41 am

lI'm sorry to hear that they stopped you from reading inverted, Scept. I would bet that is where your problems with dyslexia began.

This 74-year-old retired reading teacher "confesses" that she could read fluently and write in cursive before she went into 1st grade, and that teachers wouldn't allow it. As a result,she spent most of her educational career in Special Ed. :cry:
*mod edit*

When caught early enough, PI readers can learn to read and write as well as their peers and will eventually "turn-it-over" and do both conventionally. Take a look at my website, *mod edit*

Steve
teacherman
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby seabreezeblue » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear that they stopped you from reading inverted, Scept. I would bet that is where your problems with dyslexia began.

^ thanks.. my dyslexia (and dyspraxia) are actually acquired rather than having been there all along.. it's more correct to call them Alexia and Apraxia but people usually have no idea what they are so i just use the widely known terms to summarise my diagnoses.

I recall reading perfectly before* and then wanting to read upside down for a fair while.. I could still read the 'right' way up but it made me feel slightly nauseous (much like trying on someones glasses when they have a different prescription strength)..

I don't recall trying to write upside down but writing always flowed nicely for me (until they forced me to stop writing in cursive anyway).
I had a lovely, slightly right tilting and cursive style when i wrote.. the words flowed easily and i was absorbed into it.

The problem was that no-one else (teachers) could read it so instead of asking me to neaten it up they banned me from cursive and made me write the words in a straight style.

I became ten times slower and my creativity went downhill - i just couldn't make my pen keep up with the rhythmn of my thoughts..

*before the cause of acquisition.
Shine me a light up
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dyslexia Forum