Our partner

dyslexic and worried about telling people

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

dyslexic and worried about telling people

Postby kirsty21 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:51 pm

hi i was wondering if anybody has ever been scared or unsure about others finding out about being dyslexic? ive nown for a while that i have dyslexia but its always been something i have fort against and not wanted to face but im slowly coming to terms with it and im in college where people are starting to find out and im worried because i dont want there opinions to change of me or them to think i am thick like they did in school. has anybody else had this problem or similar?
kirsty21
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: dyslexic and worried about telling people

Postby seabreezeblue » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Be proud of yourself and tell people that you're dyslexic.

You're at college and that is a fantastic achievement for someone with dyslexia.. all too often dyslexics give up and decide that they're thick.

If the people at college knew how much of a struggle it is for you to learn the things that they find easy then they would/should all stand there and applaud you.

I have personally climbed mountains to reach the places that other people have used a helicopter to get to.. so have you xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (26)

Re: dyslexic and worried about telling people

Postby teacherman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:07 am

Absolutely agree with this last post. The more people know about dyslexia, the easier it will be for them to look for solutions. Sometimes its as easy as repositioning the reading material http://www.pireading.com . For others, audio books can make all the difference.

Simply hearing others openly discussing their problems can lead to make you feel better about yourself. Take a look at the website for the 1in5 Initiative. I think you'll enjoy it. http://www.explore1in5.org
teacherman
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Dyslexia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post