Our partner

What measures could my employer impose

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What measures could my employer impose

Postby fluffycloud » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:20 am

I work for a supermarket as a customer service assistant. Been there for 5 years. Never had an issue with my dyslexia until recently.There was an issue which I don't want to bring up which gave me a written warning. With my old line manager, I didn't have any issues. But personal problems outside work have revealed my dyslexia and dyspraxia to show up more

I am trained on the tills, the self scan, kiosk, do trolleys and put out delivery.

My issues have been:
. Unable to hear conversations over loud noises
. Sometimes talk too loud
. Mind wanders off easily - esp on self scan as on there for 3 hours doing very little.
. Sometimes I am slow doing things.

I am having a meeting with my line manager next week to see if she and the company can do anything to help.

I cannot change my work hours so hence why I am on self scan most days as when I am doing late nights, I am the only colleague trained to do self scans. My line manager cannot force colleagues to change their hours or do self scan. The only reason some colleagues are not trained on self scan are health issues like one colleague cannot stand up for more than 20 mins without feeling giddy (had issue since her childhood).

I get very tired very easily. I am an early bird and being made to work until 8:30pm. My body clock wakes me up at 6:30am. I have tried everything to make me wake up later - herbal sleeping tablets, going to bed later, but I still wake up at 6:30am. I don't think the colleagues that start work at 8:30 wake up at 2:30am.

They did question me on my application form and why I ticked no to the disability question. Reason is I have ticked yes before for applying at other companies but never got an interview, invitation to an assessment day etc. One bank I applied for two jobs - same role and pay, but different branches. One form, I ticked yes and the other no. I got an interview and was the 2nd choice for the job, just in case the first choice had been given a better job. The other one, no interview. The forms were sent to the central HR dept.
fluffycloud
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What measures could my employer impose

Postby seabreezeblue » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Hiya,

i'm aware that your post was made almost 2 months ago so hopefully you'll still find the answer useful and i hope that you've managed to sort out the problem at work.

I don't actually think all your issues are from dyslexia or dyspraxia (i have both myself)

Here's what i think;

1. Unable to hear conversations over loud noises - i think that you have a auditory processing issue here - it's commonly found in pw dyslexia/dyspraxia but is a separate issue.
2. Sometimes talk too loud - I think that you're doing this to compensate for the noise around you.. you're speaking too loudly because you're trying to drown out the other noise.
3. Mind wanders off easily.. yep, that would be either the dyspraxia or dyslexia.. we're often referred to as daydreamers.. alternatively - have you ever wondered if you may have aspergers..?

aspergers could be a fit but there's not enough detail for me to suggest it beyond asking you to consider the possibility.

4. being slow in doing things would fit with any of the aforementioned conditions.. if it happens at times of anxiety/stress/being unsure of how to react etc..

As for not ticking the ''disabled'' box = the job you applied for would probably make me tick the 'no' box as well.. as far as you were concerned.. how would dyslexia or dyspraxia affect your ability to do your job when it doesn't entail a bundle of writing or recalling dates..?
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:21 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

Re: What measures could my employer impose

Postby Dana00 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:28 am

Accommodations include finding other areas in your profession, not changing your profession all together. Accommodations include giving the opportunity to keep positive references and let those positive references assist in moving forward or in another opportunity. In no way should someone that is dyslexic be held back within their reasonable scope of practice or career/job with their ailment as an excuse to do so...either in a negative light nor in a positive light where there is over protectiveness.
Dana00
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Dyslexia Forum