Our partner

What dyslexia is like

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What dyslexia is like

Postby iquin403 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:56 am

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with dyslexia since elementary school (I think since third grade). I have some questions for other people with dyslexia that may read this.

In school I would constantly get asked what it was like being dyslexic and I would never have an answer. I don't really know how to answer the question because I have always been dyslexic so it's all normal to me. I don't have a frame of reference for what it's like not to be dyslexic. Sometimes I don't believe I'm dyslexic at all because I feel normal other times I am convinced and my mom assures me I have been tested and diagnosed.

For me I can read and write though it took me a while to learn to read and I have recently realized that I really do not like handwriting things. It is a mess and I am uncomfortable while I'm doing it and even more so if people are looking over my shoulder while I'm doing it. I read very slow and it drive me crazy but I have started using tools to help me with that (such as having my phone read articles to me). When I read its like I have to focus on each word so I just focus on a paragraph a word at a time. I'm curious what its like for other dyslexics.

I also have some questions about memories. I have read some about dyslexics like scientists believe dyslexics brains are wired differently than people with out it. So I'm wondering if dyslexic people can remember things haha. I can not really remember my life (I have almost no memories before I am 13) that well but can remember almost every episode of scrubs. I'm wondering if this is something personal I have to deal with or if its a dyslexic thing.

I am also curious if dyslexic people can picture images. Lately as I have been going to sleep I've been picturing detailed layouts of houses I have been to even some I haven't seen in almost 10 years and I can remember them perfectly. However I don't picture images if someone tells me to. When I close my eyes images appear but I don't find I have much control of them. Maybe I'm taking this phrase too literally maybe no one really pictures things. These are things I'm unsure of if they're dyslexic things or if its something I should be able to do but cannot.

Lastly I have been very interested in meditation but haven't found much about it with dyslexics. I want to do it but I'm having a hard time with will power and just doing it but I was wondering if any dyslexic people have any first hand experience with it and if it helped them in their daily lives.

Hopefully this post was coherent. I think I got off track. Mostly I just want to find out more about dyslexic people. I haven't met any and want to know if I'm like them at all. I do think I think differently than people without dyslexia but I would like to find out what other dyslexics are like.

Thank you for your time!
iquin403
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What dyslexia is like

Postby teacherman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:21 pm

There is a new forum where dyslexics tell their stories called the 1in5 Initiative. I think it's great because they use a lot of videos of (and by) dyslexics describing their experiences. It is sponsored by LearningAlly - the books-on-tape people.

I would give you the link, but I don't want to take a chance on the moderators booting me as a spammer.

Hope this helps :)
Teacherman
teacherman
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Dyslexia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post