Our partner

Pre-OD signs?

Drug Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Pre-OD signs?

Postby darkwhisperer » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:22 am

Hi there.

Let's skip the advices against drugs part and just be specifically honest about my inquiry, shall we, please? Thanks.

I'm a cocaine user, so... I'd like to know if any of you know if our bodies send any kind of warning which we can sense before suffering an overdose. It always seems to happen so suddenly (at least when I saw it happen to someone) but I wonder if something inside us sends any signal, even slightly, that we can 'listen' to and then take it easy or just ignore it and get in trouble.

Don't know if this topic makes any sense to anyone here but I always asked myself that and never found a suitable answer, only "just don't do drugs and you'll never have an OD" kind of thing. I know I will do drugs... so it would be nice to be as much knowledgeable as possible on the topic, you know?

Thank y'all. Best.
darkwhisperer
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Pre-OD signs?

Postby Wally58 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:37 pm

The body might send a message that an OD is imminent. Whether you can reverse it is another matter. You may not be aware or be able to take action to stop it. Should you do something if your ears start ringing? How about your lips begin to vibrate? Or you pass out?

When experiencing a high, the last thing you think of is 'to take it easy'. I don't know what message you would listen to or action you would possibly take to save your life.

I've lost a couple of friends to cocaine use. One had a stroke from a ruptured artery in the brain. Had he been monitoring his blood pressure up to the time of the CVA, he might have watched his blood pressure spike before he died. He died alone. :cry:

Another friend became unresponsive at a party. They laid him on a couch and he started turning blue. Some people panicked and left. Nobody called for 911 or help of any kind as there were illicit drugs at the party.
Right? Don't think your other partying friends are going to stop having their good time to try and save you. An ambulance would bring the cops. :shock:
They rolled his body out of a back window. He was probably already gone. His body was discovered the next day. :|
https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/coca ... -overdose/
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:44 pm

Postby darkwhisperer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:41 am

Hi there Wally;

Thank you so much for replying back! By that time I really thought no one would and that I didn't make any sense.

I suspected that the body would send some signals... but yeah, the very effects of this drug in particular leave you totally oblivious to the imminent danger. And sometimes you feel these things you mentioned and nothing happens, we tend to perceive it as part of the high itself. That's really a complex issue since individual's systems functions differently depending on their state of health, phenotype, resistance to the substance etc... I recognize that I throwed here a really difficult subject to ponder about and there's so little info/scientific researches about it...

Really sorry about your friends... I almost lost one because of an OD. He nearly died in my arms at a party. No idea how much doses and how many drugs he took, I just saw him suddenly falling to the ground and at first it almost seemed like a joke because he was looking so pretty fine, talking, laughing, as everyone around us, then suddenly hell broke loose. I tried everything I could, cardio massaging, mouth-to-mouth ventilation... he was convulsing, so I also had to hold his head so he wouldn't injure it and yelled to everyone call 911 but those f**k*rs didn't do a thing, only panic. Miraculously, he survived. He just woke up as if nothing have happened. That happened some years ago but still haunts me, specially for the unexpectedness.

It didn't make me stop using though... and recently I got to the point of using it all day, everytime I have the chance. I've never felt any of those symptoms that you mentioned, at least for now. The link you sent is also very informative, thanks for that as well. I also never felt any of the listed symptoms of imminent OD... and seriously I don't know if that's good or bad, because maybe my friend didn't feel any of them either and it happened to him anyway. I only feel a high of mixed
wave of pleasure (that never lasts too long) and enthusiasm, some slight numbness on my teeth... and of course, the desire for more and more. I'm naturally a very quiet person, not too sociable, really low key... but I guess you got the picture: cocaine reverses this situation considerably. I also have a metal band which I'm the singer... cocaine also helps with that. :\

The worst is that I don't even want to stop. I just want to succeed in keeping myself alive for now and still doing large amounts of cocaine. That's crazy and kinda desperate, I know it, but I wish there was a way to do it without having to be Ozzy Osbourne, heh...
darkwhisperer
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby darkwhisperer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:24 am

Also, maybe I should bring some more to the topic.

I've been taking prescribed meds since I was a kid, for depression and a benzo for anxiety. I don't know if the long term use of these kind of psychiatric drugs somehow influenced on my tolerance for drugs in general. That's something that I always noticed... my friends seem to get much higher than me on most of the drugs. I'm not saying that this makes me OD safe, not at all, actually that can be even more dangerous because I always need a higher amount of drugs to feel a lasting high and it can't be good. I wish I was like most people, that gets a high that lasts for a whole hour or the whole occasion.

First time I tried cocaine I didn't understand what it was all about - I felt nothing, and snorted the same amount as my friends. Only felt it for real when I tried a much larger line of one of a much better quality. LSD, I had to try about 3 times to finally have the most incredible trip of my life (not that I use it nowadays, it is too much for using regularly). Marijuanna, only kicked in after my 5th attempt using it, and I really enjoy it but sometimes it messes my mind up a bit and have been making me sleepy, so, been more interested in cocaine, and since I can't afford having both I had to make a choice...

Thanks and regards.
darkwhisperer
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby darkwhisperer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Also... I've read some articles addressing about drug (specifically cocaine) resistance/tolerance. Most of conclusions points inheritance to be a cause. I don't know if that's the case... I could die any time. But, yeah... my father was an alcoholic (a pretty heavy one) and used to do a lot of crazy stuff, don't know if he used other drugs, though... anyway, that was A LOT of alcohol. He even developed dementia by his 60s and died of it. He was always a heavy drinker and I wonder if somehow I inherited this 'resistance' in part because of it... because the highs of the drugs don't use to last too long on me, so naturally I feel the urge to take more doses than people usually do (at least the ones I know). I just wanted to feel high and enjoy it like the others, not to feel this need to increase the doses to get there (and sometimes not). As I told before, it was always like this, even on my first try.. :\

Don't know what to think about it and how to proceed. Hope my concern is understood...
darkwhisperer
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:52 pm

I think some people are just naturally less affected by substances- I drink more than my partner, yet they have a much higher tolerance for alcohol, than I do. Doesn't take much for me.

I also know one person that can try anything (and has), and just try it once and not get hooked- you hear all these stories about people getting hooked after one or two times, but there's also folks out there who can try it just once. Also I've known people who were able to quit substances cold turkey when it no longer suited them. Including tobacco, which while legal, I understand is hard to just stop. Heck I used to occasionally smoke cigars, and still get a mighty craving for one every so often.

Casually glancing at overdoses, it seems a pitfall to worry about is going off something for a while, then falling off the wagon, and thinking you can take that heavy dose you're used to. And if you naturally seem to not feel effects too easily, then that I think might be a particular danger- might be a drug could blindside you before you're even high.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:44 am

Postby darkwhisperer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:29 pm

Hey there, Snaga... I see it the same way. It seems much more dangerous to have this higher 'tolerance' than having a lower one, because people who get high easily don't feel the same need to abuse the substance as much as those who don't. And I was like that from the very start... not that I instantly became addicted, you know, it took years for me to put marijuana little aside and get into cocaine. Don't know if you remember but I'm also on the Bipolar forum, so, depending on my state of mind I switch from cocaine to marijuana and vice versa. I was really down a few days ago but then suddenly I started to feel better and a little more active/euphoric... then came the craving for cocaine, to enhance and maintain this state. Not cool, I know it.
darkwhisperer
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Drug Addiction