Our partner

Has anyone experienced phantom pain?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Has anyone experienced phantom pain?

Postby realtree » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:21 am

Im not looking for a diagnosis or medical advice, Im already talking to my therapist and doctor about it. Im wondering if anyone has gone through this, because its excruciating.

About two weeks ago we started experiencing strange throbbing pain in our upper right thigh. Its been going on, on and off since then. I used to have phantom pain in other areas as a child but only when I would go to sleep. This is at random points during the day, and it hurts so much. My therapist and I concluded that it was psychosomatic pain coming up from traumatic experiences but its still there. Theres nothing I can do about it. I try so hard to do system care, to try and ease the pain and burden from the little ones but it feels like theres nothing I can do. I dont know how long this will go on, I dont know when it will happen and Im tired.
realtree
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Has anyone experienced phantom pain?

Postby ArbreMonde » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:08 am

There are a lot of different reasons to experience "phantom pains" the way you describe them.

Non-exhaustive list:

• somatic flashback (you re-experience the pain from a traumatic event because the trauma is not healed yet but you cannot remember the full context)
  • lack of B12 vitamin (it can cause sensations of pain due to nerve damage on the long run)
  • some other genetic issue such like EDS as an example
  • a nerve pinched between two vertebrae (this kind of pain eases up when you build back your back muscles)
  • stress (something to do with the polyvagal theory though it is much more common to have this kind of pain in your intestines rather than someplace else)
  • other stuff I don't know about because I only talk from my own little experience

There is a lot of therapy options for the traumatic flashbacks, some of them focusing on the bodily sensations such as "somatic experiencing". For the physical issues, a physician can give you the check-ups. Sometimes we forgot that the physical issues can coexist with the flashback ones.

Good luck and I hope that sharing my little experience will help you find a way to ease up your own difficulties! Sending moral support!
Autistic | ADHD | DID (host: Morwan) | transmasc (they/them & he/him)

Journey thread | DID ressources thread

This too shall pass. It shall pass like a kidney stone, but it shall pass.
__
What is great about broken things is: they can be repaired.
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:41 am

Postby Eliseahorse » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:00 pm

Oh yeah. Some of our earliest traumatic memories come to us as tactile flashbacks. They can happen at anytime we haven't worked out what triggers them. The ones that concern us most are when we get the broken wrist/foot sensations while we are driving. It collectively takes 4 of us to keep the vehicle under control until we can safely pull over and help the alter in trouble.
The body instinctively reacts as if the break is real and it takes a lot of "no this isn't really happening now" thinking to counteract the reflexes.

Reliving being choked is scarier and not at the same time because we can rationalize that one I don't know if the alter that holds that trauma is older or if it's because we can see there is no-one physically strangling us so vision trumps touch.

I don't know how to help you cause we haven't been able to help ourselves. All I know is painkillers won't help because there is no physical pain to kill.
Body in its 30's system known collectively as Eli
M 30
M24
F17
F31
NB19
2 partially integrated alters
Peter (7)
Shadow (2/3)
Eliseahorse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:41 am

Postby ViTheta » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:47 pm

I had to start being very careful about what triggers flashbacks and episodes. Most of the time the phantom pain has to do with choking or gagging. One of the phantom pains I've experienced hasn't made any sense whatsoever as it appears to involve surgeries I can't find any record of in the hospital and would have occurred in infancy. But there are certain surgeries that aren't recorded by the hospital if done soon after birth, at least back in the 1970's.

We have certain alters who deal with specific things that are potentially dangerous so that the rest of us can switch off. These alters don't have any trauma and when they're out control is pretty much theirs and they focus very heavily on what they're doing.

I don't know if it helps, but at least you know that you aren't isolated in these events.
Take care,
Vi
Autistic, DID, trans feminine.
System of twenty. Umbrella/System name Theta
Host: Violette. Alters active on forum: Pippa, Beth, Angel
Introductory thread https://www.psychforums.com/dissociative-identity/topic221125.html
Journey thread https://www.psychforums.com/dissociative-identity/topic221263.html
ViTheta
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:41 am

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post