Our partner

Is therapy necessary?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Is therapy necessary?

Postby Doily » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:36 am

So if one is aware of all or most one's parts, is there a reason to go to therapy "just" because one has multiple identities, and what would the reason(s) be? Hope I'm making sense..
Doily
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is therapy necessary?

Postby ViTheta » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi Dolly and welcome to the forum.

I suspect that this is a tricky question. We're in therapy, but to help mitigate the symptoms of our autism. Our current therapist (who has talked to three of us and not caught on, btw), is a couple decades behind on the research regarding DID. She's aware that we have other alters and have DID, but we don't discuss it. Plus, she knows of three within our system. Our system has seventeen.

What we've been doing is focusing on therapy as a means to help the traumas that caused the lack of fusion in childhood and further splits over the years without actually pursuing fusion the way our therapist wants.

Simply put, it can probably be easier to do this with a professional and up-to-date therapist, but it isn't absolutely necessary from what I've seen.

Vi
Autistic, DID, trans feminine.
System of eighteen. Umbrella/System name Theta
Host: Violette. Alters active on forum: Pippa, Beth, Angel
Introductory thread https://www.psychforums.com/dissociative-identity/topic221125.html
Journey thread https://www.psychforums.com/dissociative-identity/topic221263.html
ViTheta
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:43 am

Postby ArbreMonde » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:40 pm

It really depends on how you are doing on an everyday basis. It is not the "multiple identities" the core of the problem. The core of the problem is, what caused you to dissociate and develop multiple identities.

Myself I am in therapy mostly because of the trauma related comorbidities: depression, anxiety, traumatic flashbacks, attachment issues, difficulties managing emotions, dissociative symptoms, stereotyped trauma-related reactions, difficulties managing social interactions in a non-triggered manner... Atop of that, therapy also helped me better manage a ton of tiny everyday things that I did not realize could be made better, because I was used to (mal)function this way. (Also, I am autistic and have ADHD too, so my T also gives me tips to manage those and it helps.)

If you have multiple identities, this hides at the very least, some attachment issues and dissociative symptoms. This might be worth going in therapy for. Gaining the ability to stay anchored here and now when needed, gaining the ability to form secure attachments, is really life-changing. Or at least, it is for me.

You are the only one who can know what you need therapy for at the moment - and if you are ready to go into therapy. But, if this answers your question, it is not "multiple identities" the problem I go to therapy for. It is everything hidden behind this funky facade.

(If you prefer to, first, have a look at what DID therapy looks like, you will find ressources about it in the ressources threads I linked into my signature.)
Autistic | ADHD | DID (host: Morwan) | transmasc (they/them & he/him)

Journey thread | DID ressources thread

This too shall pass. It shall pass like a kidney stone, but it shall pass.
__
What is great about broken things is: they can be repaired.
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:43 am

Postby birdsong87 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:23 pm

do you have any goals you need help with? Anything you would like to change or improve but you can't figure it out alone? That is usually when people go to therapy for help. A diagnosis is no reason for therapy. The suffering it creates usually is.
Dx: DID cPTSD
host ; Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Doily » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:24 am

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Yeah I (depending on the part/identity, they have different symptoms of course) definitely have depression and anxiety and dissociation and severe attachment issues and pretty severe paranoia and other psychotic symptoms sometimes as well. I have been to therapy years ago due to these but it didn',t last long enough and nowadays I don't have money to get treatment. So I just craze away and try to pretend to be a normal person as much as I can. Which is not a lot.
Doily
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ViTheta » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:15 pm

Well, Dolly, I've found that talking here and with a few other systems has helped greatly. Plus, I have some really good singleton (non-system) friends who are knowledgeable and have helped me joke about all the issues I face. They've even taken actions to protect certain alters from specific triggers.

So, yeah, as I/we (I'm not entirely sure, I remember what we wrote, but the last couple days have been a muddle) wrote earlier...we've been going to therapy to deal with the surrounding trauma and issues but we've been doing a lot of system work here.

Vi.
Autistic, DID, trans feminine.
System of eighteen. Umbrella/System name Theta
Host: Violette. Alters active on forum: Pippa, Beth, Angel
Introductory thread https://www.psychforums.com/dissociative-identity/topic221125.html
Journey thread https://www.psychforums.com/dissociative-identity/topic221263.html
ViTheta
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby TheTriForce » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:51 pm

We have never received any specifically for DID. I think we got a little (few weeks) counselling many years ago after having a meltdown at university.This was put down to stress and our hosts (at the time) increasing awareness that they may have autism.

One host has been in an autism unit (9 months!) and still no-one ever suspected anything else and we were completely unaware of the existence of DID at the time.

By the time so many started re-emerging that it couldn't possibly be 'just an invisible friend' or 'just our imagination' the (then) host was mid 40's. When several alters were emerging to replace one host some of us started to put things together.

I don't think it would help us, I think too many would find it too stressful or too invasive and a stranger wouldn't get anywhere in discovering anything. Alot of our personal trauma is' medical related' and distrust in those who were supposed to be helping us,other than physical therapy to access resources we couldn't otherwise to recover independence our system would not allow any kind of therapies that would reveal 'our secret'.

We have learned the most about us all from this board and being able to talk anonymously directly to others with systems.
Body - F 50+ yrs disabled/autistic

Primary Host: Yuna-Lee
Secondary Host: Jay
Gatekeeper: Kit
Guardian (for Front): SG
'Littles': Susie, Bobby & Phoenix (currently between 4-6 yrs old)
Caretakers (of littles): Jody, Sioux
TheTriForce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ArbreMonde » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:07 pm

Doily wrote:Yeah I (depending on the part/identity, they have different symptoms of course) definitely have depression and anxiety and dissociation and severe attachment issues and pretty severe paranoia and other psychotic symptoms sometimes as well.

There are self-help tips and exercises in the book "Coping with trauma related dissociation" that are a good start especially if you cannot afford therapy at the moment. :wink:
Autistic | ADHD | DID (host: Morwan) | transmasc (they/them & he/him)

Journey thread | DID ressources thread

This too shall pass. It shall pass like a kidney stone, but it shall pass.
__
What is great about broken things is: they can be repaired.
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TheTriForce » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:47 am

Doily wrote:Hi and thanks for the replies.

Yeah I (depending on the part/identity, they have different symptoms of course) definitely have depression and anxiety and dissociation and severe attachment issues and pretty severe paranoia and other psychotic symptoms sometimes as well. .

Wow..you've just basically described me (Kit) in a nutshell!..had to double check to make sure it wasn't me that wrote it! :shock:

I have a 'social front' alter who people seem to prefer more, she does have better social skills than me even though we both know much of the same stuff, thought I have skills she doesn't have too. Either one of us can manage a very basic day at home. We both have different 'other alters' who we feel most comfortable with and choose to relax with...though we can work together if needed, we very rarely choose to as we're like chalk and cheese!

We do respect each other's differences and views now though and it often helps if we have a simple shared goal to work on..like currently doing physiotherapy.

Do you have any alters with more social skill that can help you 'pass as normal' when you have to interact with the world? If you feel that's enough for you then you maybe happy as you are...if not you might want to see if you can communicate with your 'others' and find out what they all want and could do that might help?

If the vast majority of your system don't want to go to talk to some therapist and tells you they won't 'appear on cue' or something for some stranger to diagnose you then you're not going to get far and it will have have been a waste of money even if you could afford it?

Keeping a private journal may help (on your own PC or on here) for others to come out and join in when they feel safer Helps you spot 'new ones' when you read stuff back and think 'hang on I didn't write that!' ..particularly if you don't all have your own names cos every one just answers to the bodies name when they appear.

Kit
Body - F 50+ yrs disabled/autistic

Primary Host: Yuna-Lee
Secondary Host: Jay
Gatekeeper: Kit
Guardian (for Front): SG
'Littles': Susie, Bobby & Phoenix (currently between 4-6 yrs old)
Caretakers (of littles): Jody, Sioux
TheTriForce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ganjakites » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:10 pm

For us, you wanna find out the wrong and the rights in your life and who all might have contributed to it. It can be defined through therapy and communication to unlock the barriers to one another. Discovery can be lovely.
ganjakites
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post