Our partner

A life sim for Bobby?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

A life sim for Bobby?

Postby TheTriForce » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Hope it's ok to ask this here, but I find general population gaming boards have a very different idea of what's age appropriate and not-triggering!

Does anyone else's teen or older alters play 'life sim' kind of games?

you know..where you can create your character ..so your alters can create one like them and play the game as if its their life? ..so maybe one's non-verbal or not so expressive can show you what they like? ..or what kind of life would make them happy?

We have Animal Crossing for Little Susie (6) but 'Bobby' feels its 'too young' for them also the villager interactions are very restricted and we also feel that one that has more detail in the 'making & maintaining relationships' may help our most autistic to safely explore this in a way they feel is non-threatening (as long as there's not too many sexual triggers eg female characters very 'sexualised', big boobs, very little clothing, highly suggestive language aimed at your character etc).

A 'style' rather than gender option would be good. But they would accept 'she/female' on games with less detailed visuals .. like the old school 2.5D pix art kind of games.

One with making platonic friendships without the pressure for 'marriage and kids' and where you can still enjoy the game if you choose not to upgrade everything or marry someone!

Was looking at 'One lonely outpost' (though not sure if its on switch yet?) as you don't start with the pressure of a full village/town to get to know and can add other villagers at your own pace.. I think? but I'm not entirely sure how it starts, how much character customisation you get, whether you can have a dog/cat or similar looking animal companion! .. .. whether its gonna be guiding you to adding new people as soon as possible and make you feel you've failed if you don't?

Anyone got the game or can recommend anything else similar for switch?

Thanks

Kit
Body - F 50+ yrs disabled/autistic

Host Yuna-Lee

(includes Kit & SG working as advisors in background)
TheTriForce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: A life sim for Bobby?

Postby ViTheta » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:23 pm

Hi,

I don't know if this will help or work or if you have access to it, but I've been playing Stardew Valley. There's some scary stuff in there where you have to mine, and you do have to upgrade and build things, but there's no pressure to marry or have children. You can be friends with anyone. I just don't know if it's a 'life sim' game, though.

The game is pixilated and the portraits of the other characters are pretty without being sexualized. I've had fun with it, but I don't know if it's the right one for Bobby. It's worth looking at. There's not a lot of social interaction choice, but there are some choices and you have to give gifts to people to become their friends.

- Pippa.
ViTheta
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:22 am

Postby TheTriForce » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:30 am

ViTheta wrote:Hi,

I don't know if this will help or work or if you have access to it, but I've been playing Stardew Valley. There's some scary stuff in there where you have to mine, and you do have to upgrade and build things, but there's no pressure to marry or have children. You can be friends with anyone. I just don't know if it's a 'life sim' game, though.

The game is pixilated and the portraits of the other characters are pretty without being sexualized. I've had fun with it, but I don't know if it's the right one for Bobby. It's worth looking at. There's not a lot of social interaction choice, but there are some choices and you have to give gifts to people to become their friends.

- Pippa.

Hi Pippa,

Thanks for answering. I'll add that one to the list to look into. I'm trying to create a shortlist as they get overwhelmed with too much information, then we can watch YT clips of the shortlisted games to see which one they prefer. Is there any dogs in that one?

Kit

Host Yuna-Lee

TheTriForce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ViTheta » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:35 am

Yes. When you create a character, you can choose your favorite animal. I think it's limited to like cat or dog. You can then get that animal later. You water it and interact a little bit with it too. I always choose cat, though.

I'm glad this could help.

Pippa.
ViTheta
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby TheTriForce » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:21 pm

We downloaded this to try..starting it this weekend - L :D

Host Yuna-Lee

TheTriForce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ViTheta » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:13 pm

I hope it goes well. I know Pippa enjoys it a lot. - Vi.
ViTheta
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Re: A life sim for Lee & Kit?

Postby TheTriForce » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:52 am

We're really enjoying Stardew Valley!

Nearly at end of first year on Beach Farm and got:
first coop with 2 chickens
first barn with 2 cows
the horse and stable
3 tools upgraded to iron ore
1 community room done and bridge to quarry fixed
Quarry cleared
just about to reach lv 50 in first mines.

didn't get gold crops for first 2 seasons though so can't complete greenhouse bundle before end of year 1, so will focus entirely on parsnips for spring 2 to get 5 gold then we can get the greenhouse fixed and move it to where we want.

Still struggling a bit with timing of mini fishing game for the harder fish (can get easy ones where bobber stays near bottom) so bought some fish from woman in caravan for some bundles!

Have crab pots so thinking of just going that route planting loads around coastline of farm.
Haven't worked out how to get the gifts that are sometimes in the middle of the bobber bar?

It's gonna be a smallholding with animals selling artisan products rather than a big industrial farm.
Only planting enough crops for cooking for when we upgrade house and get the kitchen (no house upgrades yet)

Not sure about marrying but will eventually befriend each person to see all their heart cutscenes, started with Emily, Linus and the Wizard. :lol:

Great Recommendation! Thanks

Lee & Kit

Host Yuna-Lee

TheTriForce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ViTheta » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:46 pm

I'm so glad you are enjoying it. The whole thing is a wonderful and low stress game. Yeah, we have a hard time with the fishing minigame as well, so don't stress about that. I have to rely upon the wiki for who likes which gifts, though. Leah can be hard to befriend, but I love so many of the characters too.

Take care
Pippa :)
ViTheta
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post