Our partner

Memory problems, but with timeline, not the content.

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Memory problems, but with timeline, not the content.

Postby BritPlus6 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:45 pm

Yesterday I asked our husband a question. I asked, "How's your hip today?"
The rest of the conversation went like this:

Husband: "I'm not even answering that, because we've discussed it already."
Me; "I have zero recollection of that."
Husband: "Well, we did. It wasn't even just a quick answer, it was a full discussion that lasted several minutes and was detailed."
Me: "And you're sure it was with *ME*?"
Husband: "Yes. It was with *YOU. * "
Me: "Weird."
Husband: "I'll tell you before bed if you still don't remember."

Fast forward to bedtime. Husband tells me the whole conversation, word for word, and tells me what time we talked about it.

Me: "That was this morning?"
Husband: "Yep."
Me: "I remember ALL of that, but I thought that was yesterday."
Husband: "No, I wasn't awake yet when you left yesterday. This was today before you left."
Me: "I know. Remember having the conversation. I remember the time of day. But I seriously thought that was a conversation from yesterday."
Husband: "Nope."
Me: "Weird. This has been happening a lot lately. I don't like it."
Husband: "Me either."

So... what the heck is going on? Anyone else experience this? Like, specifically remembering exact conversations or events, but having the days mixed up like this?

K- Host.
Britt- Older Teen; K-Adult, host, probably the "core"; D-Adult, system manager, gatekeeper, protector, babysitter of the little; V- Adult; H- Adult; L- Little; W- wolf/girl hybrid.
BritPlus6
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Memory problems, but with timeline, not the content.

Postby Dwelt » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Yep, it totally happened to me before.

Dissociation can cause troubles making a coherent timeline with our memories. Something that happened three years ago can feel like yesterday, and something that happened on the morning can feel like a year back.

Being tired, stressed, anxious, triggered, etc. - basically anything that can increase dissociation - usually make it worse. Being co-con and not enough grounded can also make it worse.

I found out that the more my days look alike, the more I tend to confuse and mix them. What helped was to associate a specific activity to a day (monday = drawing, thuesday = reading, etc.).
French person with DID
Dwelt
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:21 am

Postby Amythyst » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:19 pm

we have this alot too
memories loose their metadata & we can't place them in context
memories from today, yesterday, months ago whatever can all have the same weight or whatever
we'll tell our T about something that happened 'recently' & she asked when it happened & we have no idea
or like, talking to a friend & they'rel ike 'how was your weekend' & we're 'dont remember it was a few days ago' & the friend goes "today's monday, weekend was yesterday" & we're surprised

we're usually really good with minutes & seconds & sometimes hours
but days / weeks/ months are meaningless
years dont exist lol
Ciara(10f); Em(22f); Teg(6f); Vanessa(13f); Viola(17f); et multa magis
DID, general anxiety; previously depression, bipolar.(New) Journey Thread
Amythyst
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:21 am

Postby Purplesky » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:28 am

i have that happen too. time seems to go in different directions memory wise. there are things i think happened months ago that was more recent.
Purplesky
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:21 am

Postby BritPlus6 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:59 pm

Dwelt wrote:Yep, it totally happened to me before.

Dissociation can cause troubles making a coherent timeline with our memories. Something that happened three years ago can feel like yesterday, and something that happened on the morning can feel like a year back.

Being tired, stressed, anxious, triggered, etc. - basically anything that can increase dissociation - usually make it worse. Being co-con and not enough grounded can also make it worse.

I found out that the more my days look alike, the more I tend to confuse and mix them. What helped was to associate a specific activity to a day (monday = drawing, thuesday = reading, etc.).

Thanks. Yes, life has definitely been more stressful lately. Finals are around the corner, trying to secure a summer job, one of the outside teenagers is being difficult. The co-con with certain parts is less than is normal.

*sigh*

K

-- Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:01 pm --

Amythyst wrote:we have this alot too
memories loose their metadata & we can't place them in context
memories from today, yesterday, months ago whatever can all have the same weight or whatever
we'll tell our T about something that happened 'recently' & she asked when it happened & we have no idea
or like, talking to a friend & they'rel ike 'how was your weekend' & we're 'dont remember it was a few days ago' & the friend goes "today's monday, weekend was yesterday" & we're surprised

we're usually really good with minutes & seconds & sometimes hours
but days / weeks/ months are meaningless
years dont exist lol

Ugh. Yes. I'll say something like, "It's been a few weeks." And husband is like, "No, that was 3 days ago," or "that was only last week."

It's frustrating.
Britt- Older Teen; K-Adult, host, probably the "core"; D-Adult, system manager, gatekeeper, protector, babysitter of the little; V- Adult; H- Adult; L- Little; W- wolf/girl hybrid.
BritPlus6
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby ArbreMonde » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:09 am

I have had days when my sense of chronology was so messed yp, childhood memories seemed like yesterday and today's breakfast seems like days or weeks ago.

It gets better with anchoring and integration therapy. It takes time and effort, but it gets better.
Autistic | ADHD | DID | transmasc (they/them & he/him)

System host/umbrella identity: Morwan

Journey thread | DID ressources thread

This too shall pass. It shall pass like a kidney stone, but it shall pass.
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:21 am

Postby BritPlus6 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:29 pm

ArbreMonde wrote:I have had days when my sense of chronology was so messed yp, childhood memories seemed like yesterday and today's breakfast seems like days or weeks ago.

It gets better with anchoring and integration therapy. It takes time and effort, but it gets better.

Thanks. It's nice to know it's not just me.
This hasn't been a problem for quite some time. My guess is the stress of school and upcoming finals is messing with things.

K
BritPlus6
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Multiverse » Sat May 07, 2022 10:49 pm

Oh, yes. We thought it was just us. Something has been going on with us a lot lately. All our days seem to be blurring together, and it is causing us issues similar to this.

Sorry to hear you are struggling with this. We hope it improves for all of you soon.
Multiverse
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:21 am

Postby BritPlus6 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:16 pm

Multiverse wrote:Oh, yes. We thought it was just us. Something has been going on with us a lot lately. All our days seem to be blurring together, and it is causing us issues similar to this.

Sorry to hear you are struggling with this. We hope it improves for all of you soon.

Thank you. I actually just saw and responded to your post. We got it sorted out (for the moment), but I'm sure it will happen again.

k
BritPlus6
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post