Our partner

Gaming for memory recovery?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby YunaTheSummoner » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:19 am

Hello

I was reading the stroke forum the other night and someone mentioned they had used a game called 'Mine Craft' ..?? to help recover their memory and spatial skills.

Without giving any of their details they basically had initially been unable to find their way back to the start point or read the map but after several months playing their memory significantly improved and they could remember the route between several of their ermm..places, locations? (never seen the game so I'm unsure of exactly what they were describing) ....And their directional ability was better knowing whether they needed to be going left or right and were they were in relation to where they were trying to get to and stuff.

Apparently its a kind of 'build your own world' kind of game? The man briefly mentioned different modes I wasn't interested at first until he mentioned a mode where you could turn off in the game baddies and just focus on creating buildings and stuff. He had made an amazing humpback whale breaching out of the water as it went under a bridge he had built (this was the picture that caught my attention initially).

Anyway.. why is this relevant to DID? Juno wondered if we started building a world ..would it encourage 'insiders' out who might try to influence what we build..so it ended up resembling 'the inner world' - which might in turn help me remember it and be able to reconnect to the others?

As anyone else tried creative means like this for this purpose? We wondered if it would be worth investing in a copy of this game for this purpose?

Yuna
User avatar
YunaTheSummoner
Consumer 2
Consumer 2
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:44 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby Purplesky » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:11 pm

i know that a lot of people use the sims games to build houses and/or make characters that represent alters. it has been used for a similar purpose that you mention.
Purplesky
Consumer 1
Consumer 1
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:36 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby gremandco » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:54 am

we have personal experience with the game minecraft. one of our alters has a special interest in it. it’s a very fun game. before our computer broke, we had actually made significant progress building what our inner world looked like in the game.

to me the mode you’re describing sounds like ‘creative mode’.

normally, the game is a survival game where you get to build things, hunt for resources, grow food and build farms and fight monsters. there’s a mode where you can do all of that but not have to fight the monsters (since they can be extremely difficult to fight), called ‘peaceful’, but you still have to survive and hunt for resources.

‘creative mode’ is where you don’t have to survive or hunt for resources at all, you can just load up the game and build what you want. you can even fly in this version to get to different areas of the planet the game loads for you faster, since every ‘world’ you create in the game of minecraft, you’re given what’s essentially a new, randomly designed planet every time, unless you put in a code (called a ‘seed’) for specific worlds that you want. if you go into the settings for creating a new world, you can also specify what you want the world to look like a little bit.

for example, when building our inner world in minecraft, we went to create a new world, and then went into the advanced settings and chose the ‘superflat’ world type to build in. that world is one that doesn’t have any trees, animals, structures, mountains, villages, nothing. just the perfect, entirely flat space to build your own structures. there are other world types, like one where there’s all water, and a few more. i haven’t played in a while.

minecraft is a very fun game to play, but can be really complicated at first. thankfully, it should give you a tutorial when you load up the game for the first time. if not, you can go to youtube and look up a tutorial on how to play minecraft, or look up various guides online by searching things like ‘minecraft guide’ or ‘how to play minecraft’.

if it worked for that one person that had a stroke, it could very well be a really interesting exercise for you. i know that when we were building our inner world in minecraft, it got very interesting when my alters got to build parts of the inner world that they were familiar with. it could be a really good exercise for cooperation and communication between each other as well as helping to recover from your stroke, that is, if you don’t find it too intimidating.

however, it can be an expensive game, so i would only buy it if you have the money, and a computer that can work it. you can actually also get this game for far cheaper on your phone or ipad as an app, but there are generally less features in my experience. if you’re not worried about having less features and find it easier to play games on a mobile device like a phone or ipad, you can do that too.

hope this could provide some insight. if you have any questions feel free to ask. we love minecraft.

-grem
name: manytown
age: 18
pronouns: he/they
member count: *???* known (10/10/21)
frequent fronters: grem/fragments, teef, D, kat
introduction thread blog journal
User avatar
gremandco
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby YunaTheSummoner » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:12 am

Purplesky wrote:i know that a lot of people use the sims games to build houses and/or make characters that represent alters. it has been used for a similar purpose that you mention.


I have heard of The Sims but I don't think I've ever played it. I will look into that one too. Thanks.
User avatar
YunaTheSummoner
Consumer 2
Consumer 2
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:44 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby YunaTheSummoner » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:29 am

gremandco wrote:we have personal experience with the game minecraft. one of our alters has a special interest in it. it’s a very fun game. before our computer broke, we had actually made significant progress building what our inner world looked like in the game.

to me the mode you’re describing sounds like ‘creative mode’.

normally, the game is a survival game where you get to build things, hunt for resources, grow food and build farms and fight monsters. there’s a mode where you can do all of that but not have to fight the monsters (since they can be extremely difficult to fight), called ‘peaceful’, but you still have to survive and hunt for resources.

‘creative mode’ is where you don’t have to survive or hunt for resources at all, you can just load up the game and build what you want. you can even fly in this version to get to different areas of the planet the game loads for you faster, since every ‘world’ you create in the game of minecraft, you’re given what’s essentially a new, randomly designed planet every time, unless you put in a code (called a ‘seed’) for specific worlds that you want. if you go into the settings for creating a new world, you can also specify what you want the world to look like a little bit.

for example, when building our inner world in minecraft, we went to create a new world, and then went into the advanced settings and chose the ‘superflat’ world type to build in. that world is one that doesn’t have any trees, animals, structures, mountains, villages, nothing. just the perfect, entirely flat space to build your own structures. there are other world types, like one where there’s all water, and a few more. i haven’t played in a while.

minecraft is a very fun game to play, but can be really complicated at first. thankfully, it should give you a tutorial when you load up the game for the first time. if not, you can go to youtube and look up a tutorial on how to play minecraft, or look up various guides online by searching things like ‘minecraft guide’ or ‘how to play minecraft’.

if it worked for that one person that had a stroke, it could very well be a really interesting exercise for you. i know that when we were building our inner world in minecraft, it got very interesting when my alters got to build parts of the inner world that they were familiar with. it could be a really good exercise for cooperation and communication between each other as well as helping to recover from your stroke, that is, if you don’t find it too intimidating.

however, it can be an expensive game, so i would only buy it if you have the money, and a computer that can work it. you can actually also get this game for far cheaper on your phone or ipad as an app, but there are generally less features in my experience. if you’re not worried about having less features and find it easier to play games on a mobile device like a phone or ipad, you can do that too.

hope this could provide some insight. if you have any questions feel free to ask. we love minecraft.

-grem


Juno was intrigued by the ability to fly that you mention! I just really liked the guys 'animal builds' he had done. They looked so realistic! The different modes sound interesting... I mean we could start with a creative game and try and just think of something that might get the 'others attention' if any were close enough to see or send thoughts etc.

If someone does come forward and enjoys it and wants to try another mode or something we could invest further.. is there a free trial version anywhere ..say just of the app? or for computer (though we won't get ours until xmas day).

I was thinking if we could try a free version on ipad now see if it gets anyone's interest then if we get a feeling it could work maybe buy or download the full game once we have the laptop?

Also can I ask..for you...did it encourage any alters to the front that were not coming out normally?

I have found articles about gaming (particularly in 3D worlds) helping people with Parkinson's regain skills or slowing down progression but haven't found anything specifically relating to DID..or stroke...other than the guy in group mentioning it.

Thanks

Yuna
User avatar
YunaTheSummoner
Consumer 2
Consumer 2
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:44 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby spinningtops » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 am

this year when i spent lots of time being really really out of it, i played coloring pixels and hexceed, as they both were very chill and calming. but haven't played mine craft. my son plays it, always in creative mode. that sounds super cool though!
spinningtops
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:47 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby gremandco » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:14 pm

YunaTheSummoner wrote:Juno was intrigued by the ability to fly that you mention! I just really liked the guys 'animal builds' he had done. They looked so realistic! The different modes sound interesting... I mean we could start with a creative game and try and just think of something that might get the 'others attention' if any were close enough to see or send thoughts etc.

If someone does come forward and enjoys it and wants to try another mode or something we could invest further.. is there a free trial version anywhere ..say just of the app? or for computer (though we won't get ours until xmas day).

I was thinking if we could try a free version on ipad now see if it gets anyone's interest then if we get a feeling it could work maybe buy or download the full game once we have the laptop?

Also can I ask..for you...did it encourage any alters to the front that were not coming out normally?

I have found articles about gaming (particularly in 3D worlds) helping people with Parkinson's regain skills or slowing down progression but haven't found anything specifically relating to DID..or stroke...other than the guy in group mentioning it.

Thanks

Yuna


to my knowledge, the only free version of minecraft is a free trial version for the computer. i know they *used* to have a free version you could play on your phone/ipad that i used to have, but that’s no longer the case as i just checked unfortunately. however on the app store (for iphones/ipads only) they have games that are very similar to minecraft, though not the exact same. there’s a game called ‘multicraft’ that seems very similar, but i don’t know how good it is compared to regular minecraft. you can try to play that one on your ipad to get the hang of it, and if you decide you like it, you can buy the minecraft game for your phone for around $5 or $6, or you can get the computer version for around $27.

Also can I ask..for you...did it encourage any alters to the front that were not coming out normally?


actually, it did bring some alters that fronted less closer to the front or ‘forwards’ in other ways to either front completely or passively influence others on what to build in the minecraft world. it’s mostly just a matter of being open to communication and trying to communicate in the inner world that you want to see what they have to offer, or where they like to hang out in the inner world.

hope that helps :D
name: manytown
age: 18
pronouns: he/they
member count: *???* known (10/10/21)
frequent fronters: grem/fragments, teef, D, kat
introduction thread blog journal
User avatar
gremandco
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby YunaTheSummoner » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:58 pm

spinningtops wrote:this year when i spent lots of time being really really out of it, i played coloring pixels and hexceed, as they both were very chill and calming. but haven't played mine craft. my son plays it, always in creative mode. that sounds super cool though!



I've never heard of Pixels or Hexceed. Will have to look them up. Thanks
User avatar
YunaTheSummoner
Consumer 2
Consumer 2
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:44 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby YunaTheSummoner » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:35 pm

gremandco wrote:

to my knowledge, the only free version of minecraft is a free trial version for the computer. i know they *used* to have a free version you could play on your phone/ipad that i used to have, but that’s no longer the case as i just checked unfortunately. however on the app store (for iphones/ipads only) they have games that are very similar to minecraft, though not the exact same. there’s a game called ‘multicraft’ that seems very similar, but i don’t know how good it is compared to regular minecraft. you can try to play that one on your ipad to get the hang of it, and if you decide you like it, you can buy the minecraft game for your phone for around $5 or $6, or you can get the computer version for around $27.

Also can I ask..for you...did it encourage any alters to the front that were not coming out normally?


actually, it did bring some alters that fronted less closer to the front or ‘forwards’ in other ways to either front completely or passively influence others on what to build in the minecraft world. it’s mostly just a matter of being open to communication and trying to communicate in the inner world that you want to see what they have to offer, or where they like to hang out in the inner world.

hope that helps :D


I will look up that app Thanks. I will definitely try the free trial of Minecraft when I get my laptop.

At the moment I'm not sure if they can't get to the front because there's some kind of damage of physical pathway or ...they're just no where near the front as they were hidden deep to protect them (during the stroke) ...or the stroke has also affected their memories?? ....could they be somewhere in an inner world totally unaware of 'the front' with no memory that they ever 'came out'?
it seems the triggers are just no longer there, so that 'path' in the brain that would usually have triggered them out ..is no longer working it seems! ..maybe they've been damaged by the stroke and no longer remember what usually triggered them out??? :cry:

I've not found anything about a person with DID having a stroke (or any kind of brain injury that would cause memory loss/cognitive damage) and the effect this would have on their system or how they would get alters back!
User avatar
YunaTheSummoner
Consumer 2
Consumer 2
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:44 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Gaming for memory recovery?

Postby gremandco » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:00 am

YunaTheSummoner wrote:I will look up that app Thanks. I will definitely try the free trial of Minecraft when I get my laptop.

At the moment I'm not sure if they can't get to the front because there's some kind of damage of physical pathway or ...they're just no where near the front as they were hidden deep to protect them (during the stroke) ...or the stroke has also affected their memories?? ....could they be somewhere in an inner world totally unaware of 'the front' with no memory that they ever 'came out'?
it seems the triggers are just no longer there, so that 'path' in the brain that would usually have triggered them out ..is no longer working it seems! ..maybe they've been damaged by the stroke and no longer remember what usually triggered them out??? :cry:

I've not found anything about a person with DID having a stroke (or any kind of brain injury that would cause memory loss/cognitive damage) and the effect this would have on their system or how they would get alters back!


unfortunately the only brain injury i have experience with is one i had when i was 10, and obviously at that point i didn’t know i had DID, so i couldn’t really tell you how it’d affected my system at that time. i think your best bet would be to work on memory and recovery, try to reach out to them when you can, and be patient. i’m sure they’ll come back at some point. DID doesn’t just go away, even in strokes. :)

-grem
name: manytown
age: 18
pronouns: he/they
member count: *???* known (10/10/21)
frequent fronters: grem/fragments, teef, D, kat
introduction thread blog journal
User avatar
gremandco
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 am
Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests