Our partner

Co morbid Scizotype disorder?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Johnny-Jack

Co morbid Scizotype disorder?

Postby Vixol » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 am

Hi everyone!

I've been wondering if any of you have DID with Schizotypal and if it's common to have both diagnoses since they both are dissociative disorders?
I figure that schizotype could possibly make someone more likely to develop DID if childhood trauma occurs, would this assumption be correct?

There is some info out there about the difference between DID and schizophrenia but schizotypal is not really the same. Schizotypal people can doubt their delusions and know that what they are feeling/sensing probably isn't true/real.

I'm thinking that it would probably be hard for a schizotypal person to experience switch headaches due to delusions(?)
Are there any other clues that could help me differentiate between the two?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer, this forum helps a lot.
Vixol
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Co morbid Scizotype disorder?

Postby ArbreMonde » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:44 am

//from what I know about schizotype disorder, it is a personnality disorder, not a dissociative one.

//since it is a personality disorder, it develops in adverse conditions during the formation of the personality (childhood and teenhood, mostly). which makes it not surprising to have a dissociative disorder comorbid with personality disorder/s since both types develop in adverse childhood conditions.

//before you decide to label yourself as such, remember that it is common for children and young teens to have odd beliefs. from what I know, it can be labeled as schizotype, only if the odd beliefs keep going in adulthood, together with paranoid beliefs (outside of any psychological crisis: for example, constant anxiety and lack of sleep can make one turn to paranoid thoughts that will disappear when the anxiety disappears).

//schizophrenia on the other hand, is a psychosis. it is a misnommer, just like "autism" is a misnommer. ("autism" means something like "self-centered" while in reality, people diagnosed autistic are overly sensitive to their environment.) schizophrenia has nothing to do with a "dissociated mind".

//all of it being said, it is possible to have DID and schizotype personality and schizophrenia on top of it. they are not mutually exclusive. though only a professional can diagnose you.

//do not hesitate to double-check the informations I gave you, for my memory might be confused. it never hurts to double-check. just, make sure that you use the latest available informations, to avoid confusion.

//withing you the best,
__
Ulysses
Multiple system Dx autistic, depression, c-PTSD...

he/him | she/her | they/them

Active system members {this is a sub-system}:
oOo van Hohenheim | oTo Trisha | & Urielle {~ Theia|# Uriel} | - X (also answers to: Solomon, David, Scar) | // Ulysses | ♥ Lust | {Pride|Wrath} | -- {Zami}

Journey thread
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Vixol » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:50 pm

You're right it is a personality disorder but some of the criteria for it seems to be higher levels of dissociation, strange thoughts and delusions. (If I am not misinformed)

By the way, I'm not a teenager, I haven't been for some time. And I am in the process of being evaluated by a psychologist which leaves me with more questions than answers at the moment.
So I would like to find out some facts and see what other people's experiences has been.

I don't believe I fit the criteria for schizotype but that it may or may not run in my family.
Vixol
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi Vixol,

Remember that you may have parts who are young children and who may have odd beliefs and magical thinking. And traumatized parts can be paranoid If DID can explain all of your symptoms, there isn't the need for an additional diagnosis.

Also, I don't think the treatment would be any different--it would still be long-term psychotherapy according to the ISSTD guidelines.

The most important thing is that you don't think you fit the criteria for Schizotypal, and you are the expert on you.

-the Gang
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:02 am

Postby Vixol » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Thanks for the reassurance! I appreciate it.
Although I don't think I'm necessarily the expert, if that were the case I wouldn't seek the help of experts.

But it's true, I have a very aggressive alter that is very paranoid about being known and having traumas known. I can feel myself wanting to erase this because of them...
Some days I doubt if I really have DID and I think they'd rather tell me that something else is wrong with me, anything to keep me from finding out the truth.

And I feel crazy for acknowledging it.

I'll just press "submit" now before I erase this answer.
Vixol
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 pm

Vixol wrote:I'll just press "submit" now before I erase this answer

Usually the best thing to do.

I have a paranoid part. We just sit on our hands, until the fit passes.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:02 am

Postby Una+ » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:02 pm

In the psychiatric literature there is no association between DID and schizotypal personality disorder.

Most of the symptom classes ("derealization", "psychosis") are nonspecific, so on its face a description of schizotypal personality disorder may be made to fit a patient with DID. But that would reflect diagnostic inexperience and/or uncertainty on the part of the clinician, not an actual dual diagnosis.

There are two diagnostic interview instruments that would likely be helpful in your case: SCID-II and SCID-D.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:02 am

Postby KitMcDaydream » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:31 pm

Hi

We have one that is more anti-social and would fit schizoid personality profile though they've never been upfront when any other person has been around.

We have a dx of autism cos we had some kind of shutdown/breakdown in our 30's and the alter up front was presenting like someone with autism during the assessment I guess, though not all of us have memory of the period that included being assessed and being in a unit for several months.

On the other hand in some situations we have behaved as if we didn't have either and I would guess that was another alter up front?

We do know however from parents telling us about our early childhood that we did originally have symptoms of severe autism by 23 months old. We have always felt different and the difficulties we've always had, are consistent with having autism.

I do believe the body actually has autism but regarding schizoid I think thats a case of just one alter being more anti-social, avoidant or 'more autistic' than the others (they are also the one that trust's no-one and has all the trauma memories of being bullied relentlessly throughout school).

We've also had alters that believed they were deaf and needed a wheelchair when they came out. Though the body does also have neurological issues. We are a complex case! :shock:
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:02 am

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post