Our partner

Where to learn more?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Johnny-Jack

Where to learn more?

Postby LifeBeyondDID » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:21 am

What resources do you use or have you used to learn more about DID? Many books I want to read are so expensive. I have found a couple of good internet sites but not many.
LifeBeyondDID
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Where to learn more?

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:19 am

This is a link to a PDF of The Haunted Self. It's written for clinicians, but very informative for both theory and treatment: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... matization

traumadissociation.com is a fairly reliable site.

one of the longtime posters on here has a very informative blog, with a lot of really helpful information: https://www.dis-sos.com/

Also, I spent a long time reading previous posts on this forum. It was reassuring to read about other peoples' experiences, and some people have journey threads, so you can get a sense of how things can progress over time.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 am

Postby birdsong87 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:41 am

If I had to pick, I would say read the ISSTD treatment guidelines https://www.isst-d.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/GUIDELINES_REVISED2011.pdf

The haunted self, it is difficult but eventually worth it,
and Coping with trauma-related dissociation, for a more practical approach.

we are currently reading The Trauma Trinity, which has 3 parts and the first 2 are mind-numbing theory but the third part is supposed to be practical and if it is anywhere near the quality of the first 2 parts it has to be very good, but it will take us til next year to say for sure.

We have not come across anything more helpful in our reading so far. Most other books don't go as deep or they have conceptual mistakes or they are from the 90s and treatment has developed in a different direction.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
Our blog on resources https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Postby Nondescript » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:38 am

Good resources!

If you want academic stuff and don't have access, sometimes google scholar will yield good research articles.

I never thought I'd recommend this resourced, but I would recommend The Rings System videos on YouTube.They have OSDD-b1 (a system with defined alters but no amnesia), but their information is applicable for any system. They don't post a lot of the silly or sensationalized content that other YouTubers do. They are in college studying to become a psychologist and present both basic and more advanced self-education and self-help topics. DID is "interesting," but I think to successful self-managedment could be accomplished with the information presented in the videos.

For trauma resources, I'd recommend the resources birdsong recommended. I learned a lot also from listening to academic lectures by Bessel Van Der Kolk. Ruth Lanius is another good source.
Nondescript
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Jessica6 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:19 am

Nondescript wrote:I never thought I'd recommend this resourced, but I would recommend The Rings System videos on YouTube.They have OSDD-b1 (a system with defined alters but no amnesia), but their information is applicable for any system. They don't post a lot of the silly or sensationalized content that other YouTubers do. They are in college studying to become a psychologist and present both basic and more advanced self-education and self-help topics.

LOL I was scrolling down and was going to post about watching some YT channels, most especially The Rings System- we really like them! Since we might be OSDD1b we really glommed onto that channel, and enjoy their videos. We sometimes peek on other channels but The Rings System is our mainstay on YouTube.
OSDD-1b (perhaps):
Steph (m,50s)
Samantha (f,31)
Stefanie (f,16)
Sabrina (f,12)
Albert (m,14)
Allison (f, 20)
Charlie (m,5)
Aurora (f,70s?)
Nameless One (m,?)

The world needs more unicorns.
Jessica6
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby birdsong87 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:54 am

I forgot something... when you like youtube, the head of the CTAD clinic Mike Lloyd is making educational videos. he just started recently, but the information is solid. He is a very experienced DID therapist collaborating with first person plural in the UK. the channel can be found under the name of the clinic.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
Our blog on resources https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Seconding this--the videos by Mike Lloyd are excellent!
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 am

Postby ArbreMonde » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:50 am

oOo We enjoy this website https://did-research.org/ because it is very-well documented. This one https://support.pods-online.org.uk/ is oriented towards trauma.

oOo We also skim through others who have a mix of good and bad advices, but they include commercial links and paying features so, be warned. They are "kinhost" and "discussing dissociation" (though the latest is heavily oriented towards SRA; it also contains a few interesting reflexions and journalling questions, but, be warned of its orientation and the heavy commercial links within it).

__
van Hohenheim.
Multiple system Dx autistic, depression, c-PTSD...

he/him | she/her | they/them

Active system members {this is a sub-system}:
oOo van Hohenheim | oTo Trisha | & Urielle {~ Theia|# Uriel} | - X (also answers to: Solomon, David, Scar) | // Ulysses | ♥ Lust | {Pride|Wrath} | -- {Zami}

Journey thread
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Zor » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:56 pm

We find a lot of content from credible sources like Multiplicity & Me on YouTube is good too- some are just "this is my personal experience", but she has the added credentials of being a licensed therapist AND a four-year degree in Psychology (and I think working towards a master's).

While these (YT) sources will NOT be credentialed and authoritative, seeing your own experiences shared by others is often a HUGE support network boon. We find it amazingly comforting to see others expressing similar thoughts, fears, and experiences- and how they manage has helped us develop some coping strategies or refine our own to better cope with our lives. In that sense, while always considering the source, these can be amazingly helpful.
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor - primary host & main poster
The rest of us: {\Pixie/}, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, Charles, Chloe, Noah, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jessica6 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:46 pm

We we seen a little of that multiplicity we keep meaning to watch more of them.
OSDD-1b (perhaps):
Steph (m,50s)
Samantha (f,31)
Stefanie (f,16)
Sabrina (f,12)
Albert (m,14)
Allison (f, 20)
Charlie (m,5)
Aurora (f,70s?)
Nameless One (m,?)

The world needs more unicorns.
Jessica6