Our partner

writing did?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

writing did?

Postby Lyacinth » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:38 pm

So i was watching some youtube vidoes about writing did, it's these ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93o7BxGAaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI2CMSYsM4U

(the second one is the one i'm going ton talk about) and the person says not to write things like making Did the central conflict of the story, but what i wanted to write was just that bc i was going to use the story as a way of exploring how i felt about learning and accepting who i am. for me it was a journey and had some internal fighting that wasnt necessarily pretty and it was hard for me to 'accept' what was going on (and its something I still struggle w/) and seeing this video just made me really upset like.

should i just cancel what iw as going to do even though it was soething i was hoping would be therapeutic to me?? because now i just feel like a bad person for doing the thing that this youtuber said not to do and i'm just feeling really lost and upset now. thoughts? :(

also this is my first time posting here idk how to do anything sorry if this is stupid.
Lyacinth
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: writing did?

Postby Snaga » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:56 am

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Do I understand you correctly, that you have DID and are wanting to write a story about it, as a form of self-therapy?

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:39 am

I glanced at those videos (in general I never watch DID YouTube videos), and I think she's addressing people who don't have DID but want to write about it. People who don't have an understanding from the inside about what it's like to have DID.

She's not talking about people who have DID and want to write about their own experience. No one can tell you not to write about your own life and experience!
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:06 pm

Postby Snaga » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:15 pm

TheGangsAllHere wrote:I glanced at those videos (in general I never watch DID YouTube videos), and I think she's addressing people who don't have DID but want to write about it. People who don't have an understanding from the inside about what it's like to have DID.

She's not talking about people who have DID and want to write about their own experience. No one can tell you not to write about your own life and experience!

That was my impression, as well- and that's what I wanted clarification- that you're writing about DID, because it's a way of helping your own issues with disassociation, yes? You mentioned one other 'part', in the How Are You Feeling? thread.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Lyacinth » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:20 pm

Yeah..... thats why i wanted to write it. Like its really a personal thing for me and not like some kind of book i want to publish publicly or anything although i may share what i make with some close friends. its just for my own sake and exploring my feelings. I do appreciate the clarification about it being more about people without Did. I just wanted a way of expressing myself and not everythings been all rainbows and sunshine like. some of it is chaos but its better for everyone in the system now. it just wasnt always like that?? and idk like those videos made me really anxious and upset and nervous. :( but thanks for the reassurance its really nice thank you.
Lyacinth
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:09 am

I think I can understand why the videos would be troubling- telling you to not do exactly what you'd want to do- since they're produced for Nons, and I would imagine trying to steer them away from stereotypes that pwDID would find insulting or degrading, or at the least, merely inaccurate/annoying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby spinningtops » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:03 am

sorry i did not watch the videos, because i also generally avoid did videos on youtube. i don't know why, just have been slow to get into them.. i was not up to watching at this moment..
but i think you can write about what you are experiencing. it's your life, and you can write about it. i think one possibility they may be talking about is that people who don't have a particular disorder writing about it may get it wrong. anyways, we write what we know. that makes sense to me. sorry i did not watch the videos, as i say i have been finding i have been avoiding youtube did videos- except by psychologists occasionally.
spinningtops
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Postby ArbreMonde » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:09 am

Lyacinth wrote:Like its really a personal thing for me and not like some kind of book i want to publish publicly or anything although i may share what i make with some close friends. its just for my own sake and exploring my feelings.

When you write for yourself you can write anything about everything in any way you want. :) It's only when it's supposed to be given to a large-scale audience that the text needs to be adjusted.

And also, like the others said, there is a difference between writing about your own experiences, and writing about a character who goes through things different than you do.

Just like I love to read books about autism written by autistic people where the focus is autism, including the most stereotypical aspects of it - and hate the guts of stereotypical autistic characters written by non-autistic people. There is a difference of tone and understanding between the two.

Anyway, go ahead and write everything you have in your heart! Enjoy yourself!

--Zami--
Multiple system Dx autistic, depression, c-PTSD...

They/them: --Zami--
He/him: -X- or -David- | oOo van H. oOo | //Ulysses// | °Isaïa° | {Envy} | #Uriel# | {Wrath|Pride} (sub-system) | @ Saul @ .....
She/her: ~Theia~ | oOo Mrs. H. oOo | *Reyna* | ♥Lust♥ | .....

Journey thread
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:06 am

Postby Lyacinth » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:12 pm

thanks everyone for all your repleis and reassurance it really means alot to me!! :D
Lyacinth
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby SystemFlo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Writing is art and self expression. Nobody can come and tell you how to do it right, it's yours, you make it, you own it. They can like it or not, but if you start doing any art or any self expression to please someone else, it's neither of those things anymore. That'd make it meaningless.

Be brave, be you.

opinion of Fourteens written by LUCAS
Fourteen M 14 main trauma holder, persecutor, has DID (ca 20 parts age 3-16):
- Jules M 14
- random M teen
- Leon M 4
Sami M 16 (15-26) system manager, defender
Lucas M 16 balancer, socializer, body care
Flor F
SystemFlo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6