Our partner

Real world disasters/emergencies affecting alters

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

Real world disasters/emergencies affecting alters

Postby KitMcDaydream » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:57 am

Hi

Sioux here I just wanted to ask a question I have no idea whether people will consider it a trigger but just in case (we're still trying to understand what may need a trigger warning other than the blindingly obvious)

***Trigger Warning***

We have an alter (Kit) who gets intensely paranoid and panicked about certain real life situations. for example this current 'corona virus' situation. Despite the fact only 7 Brits have been diagnosed (and some aren't even in the country) and they had all been people who had been to or indirect contact with people who have visited China or immediate countries (Singapore in one instance) after reading the UK have created 'isolation pods' for people who get it, she is convinced that if we even cough or sneeze we will get dragged off into quarantine or even order cough medicine/facemasks to suppress a cough they will track us down despite the fact we live very rurally haven't seen anyone in person since xmas and not due to see anyone for another month or so, the odds must be well over a million to one!!

I get that she probably feels should we be put in a situation we had to be observed constantly it would shut the entire system down again, not to mention the intensely unwanted physical contact that would have to be endured (ie treatment by Hazmat suited rubber gloved individuals). but the likelihood of us getting it in the first place is so rare it seems 'a waste of energy' to be getting wound up over it. We are effectively already 'self isolated' due to our lifestyle and Kit's intense dislike of crowds and physical contact.

I think the system is unsure whether to let her run with it and prepare us just in case or try to 'nip it in the bud' as its so unlikely to happen it's going to make us paranoid of everyone for no good reason?

We can't leave the house today anyway due to Storm Ciara (the winds are too dangerous up here, someone has already been killed by a tree going through their car windscreen and someone else trying to walk their dog in it, knocked unconscious from flying debris!).

What do others do if your local or international news programs tend to trigger an alter and send them into a panic?

Sioux
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Real world disasters/emergencies affecting alters

Postby Sarandipity » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:30 pm

Overall we have a duality course. We do everything. So we prepare for the worst, however that works, and then we live our life like nothing will happen. That's how we have got through thus far.

Beth didn't go out for years. She's been out a bit now but she's not in love with going out. So she stays in. If everyone else went along with her overall we'd have more problems.

Same as the other day. It was a rough day. Host wanted to stay in. There was a massive internal argument which drained host. Host wanted to cry in bed. Paul took over, ran an errand, the part who wanted to go swimming got to go but it turned out she doesn't just cause brain fried feeling if she takes over the body completely then the whole body is in severe pain. She was really excited to go swimming. When she's in the water the pain is better which is obviously why she likes the water. We took turns swimming because although the pain is better for her in the water it's not completely gone and none of us like swimming so we all swam a bit. We think regular swimming may help her pain, it seemed to. Then Paul did the psychiatrist appointment but he let "No-one" talk a bit. He found out the best course of action with what's available but he let her speak a little so the doctor knew we're not simply fine. When she said "it's all difficult, I don't know what I'm doing" obviously he didn't realize she has no clue about how to raise children, do our previous job, run a house - everything. But that expression was needed for her to tell someone even though they didn't get it and for him to know it's not all roses. He offered drugs which No-one loved the idea of but we're not taking drugs. Paul conducted it like a negotiation. Then we went home and cried a bit and slept.

So with anything where there's a problem wherever possible we do everything. We try to let everyone have what they need while making sure other outside things are managed. Which is why this disorder is so time consuming and also takes massive amounts of organisation which looks likes chaos and rapid cycling emotions but it's organisation of parts and their needs.

Let your frightened alter prepare, whatever that looks like, but also let other parts carry on as normal or express that it's nonsense. Everyones thoughts and feelings are valid. Nobody is right or wrong. She may, like you say 1 in a million be right, but it doesn't mean other parts have to pander to her, they can live their lives.

That's our opinion.

Blessings.
Currently Fronting System
No-one Paul and The Overlord
Old Fronting System
Rose, Patrick, Karen, Peter, Mandy
(They still pop in now and again)

Terra Magicka: The Twins (Batcho and Fortune)Mandy, Sue the secutary.
(Silent Lake :The Overlord/Mr Brightside who is currently mostly absent from his internal world.)
Sarandipity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby IainEtc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:46 pm

Panic is about lack of trust and teamwork. When we're doing good with teamwork the guys trust me to handle things. Then they feel safer. Anybody going it alone feels like the world is too much for them.

Stay safe. High winds are no joke.

Colin
Iain - 14, Colin - 17, Evan - 7, Cody - 16, Raven, & Host - the adult out front

When they say 'be yourself',
which one do they mean?
IainEtc
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Postby KitMcDaydream » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 am

Hi again

Thank for answering. Sorry for the delay we had power cuts here and water coming in the back door, (back garden flooded due to volume of rain) had to go stay at families house for a couple of days.

I think with Kit her anxiety stems from her autism and it being more severe in her than other fronting alters. Kit started reappearing in the bodies 40's at the time emotions were becoming more severe (In Maddie who was fronting at the time) and it seems we were hitting the peri-menopause period of the bodies life. It seems to be making the autism more intense with regards to anxiety and tolerance (sensitivities to certain sound etc).

We have got more food in and did an extra delivery this week when it wasn't due for another week or so and the dog's extra food arrives today and some presents for a family member later next month (as looking at the news some more cases have been confirmed and govt are saying it will get worse before it gets better). so we can if necessary not go out or have to worry about any delivery people bringing the virus to us as people seem to be able to wander around for weeks without knowing they are carrying it or having symptoms! :shock: (If you've been following UK news you'll know about the super-spreader who unknowingly infected 11 people and their still trying to trace people those 11 may have come in contact with).

I can see why it's worrying but I said we're probably going to get snowed in at some point anyway so hopefully that may offer us some protection if the weather turns bad (as in deep snow/ice) as it will stop anyone who might have been able to easily get so far up North. We only know of one real risk (to us) who has a family member attending a university where cases have already been confirmed, with half term next week and the member returning home before the person visits us next month that would be our most likely risk for coming into contact with it. We've already had a chest infection this winter so don't like our chances that it would be more likely to develop into pneumonia in us due to the bodies current health and mobility issues.

Sioux
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sarandipity » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:40 pm

I just looked it up. They have tested about 2500 people in the UK and there have been 9 cases. Everyone else tested negative. The last case was a woman who had been in China. So I think it's ok.

But if we were inclined to worry about this then we'd be exactly the same. It came on the radio as I drove to the hospital and someone thought "oh good maybe I'll die of the Corona virus" Which then lead to whole internal discussion about how being alive is preferable.

But we did go to a farm and stroke chickens when the bird flu thing was on the news. It was great because nobody else was going near the chickens and we saw it as our best opportunity to get over our chicken hatred. Why don't they fly? - it's so stupid. Chickens are actually quite cute.

So good luck but don't think you'll need it, it'll be ok. :)
Currently Fronting System
No-one Paul and The Overlord
Old Fronting System
Rose, Patrick, Karen, Peter, Mandy
(They still pop in now and again)

Terra Magicka: The Twins (Batcho and Fortune)Mandy, Sue the secutary.
(Silent Lake :The Overlord/Mr Brightside who is currently mostly absent from his internal world.)
Sarandipity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby IainEtc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 am

Hi,

Are you having a hurricane? We get those sometimes and have to stockpile food and water and batteries. Hope you don't get sick.

Good luck,

Iain
Iain - 14, Colin - 17, Evan - 7, Cody - 16, Raven, & Host - the adult out front

When they say 'be yourself',
which one do they mean?
IainEtc
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Postby KitMcDaydream » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:16 am

Sarandipity wrote:I just looked it up. They have tested about 2500 people in the UK and there have been 9 cases. Everyone else tested negative. The last case was a woman who had been in China. So I think it's ok.

But if we were inclined to worry about this then we'd be exactly the same. It came on the radio as I drove to the hospital and someone thought "oh good maybe I'll die of the Corona virus" Which then lead to whole internal discussion about how being alive is preferable.

But we did go to a farm and stroke chickens when the bird flu thing was on the news. It was great because nobody else was going near the chickens and we saw it as our best opportunity to get over our chicken hatred. Why don't they fly? - it's so stupid. Chickens are actually quite cute.

So good luck but don't think you'll need it, it'll be ok. :)

They are testing an 8 month old baby who had direct contact with one of the GP's that had it too.

news says "The tot has since had severe symptoms, including a sweltering temperature, coughing fits, runny nose and extreme fatigue" Mother and baby are isolating in their flat while they wait for test results due tomorrow. The mother has been tested too it seems. Her other daughter (toddler) has also been having coughing fits.

and the London woman has just been revealed had been at a conference with 250 others from all over the country who they are now trying to trace! number of people now being tested is 2,521.

We have another severe storm heading our way this weekend so will be indoors. Kit's feeling a bit better we are more prepared. Playing classical music while doing some water colour painting yesterday seemed to make everyone feel calmer.
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby KitMcDaydream » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:32 am

IainEtc wrote:Hi,

Are you having a hurricane? We get those sometimes and have to stockpile food and water and batteries. Hope you don't get sick.

Good luck,

Iain

Not sure it was an hurricane though winds were up to 90mph and 3 people were killed. Have another (Storm Dennis) hitting us this weekend again heavy flooding, strong winds and 'danger to life' warning from our Met (UK weather) office. It's dry at least today so we'll get the dog out for a good long run over the fields and round the villages in case we can't get out over the weekend.

I have to use a mobility scooter for distance so heavy flooding, or heavy snow and ice makes it too dangerous (and sometimes impossible) to venture out when we're getting 'extreme weather'.

We have plenty of food in anyway so no-one will starve! Still having knee problems so Kit can't exercise either but the littles want to come out to play Zelda and have Taco's and chips this weekend!

Sioux
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Una+ » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Glad to know your disaster/emergency is entirely vicarious. But vicarious trauma is all too real.

To limit vicarious trauma I do not watch TV news nor listen to new on the radio. Those media outlets are all about arousing fear. Newspapers and new magazines have much higher quality information. Latest teaser in my newsfeed has been "Breaking News! Coronavirus confirmed in Texas!!!" Yes, in a person evacuated from China and isolated for the 14 day waiting period.

I follow WHO, the US CDC, etc so I know contacts of persons who might have been infected are already being traced, and thousands of persons are being tested for every case confirmed. I also know coronavirus is, by the numbers, not as lethal as this season's influenza. Influenza kills!

My family uses infectious disease control measures. When we are sick with influenza like illness (ILI) or gastroenteritis we stay home. When a lot of other people are sick with same we limit social contacts. We phone up the doctor or a nurse helpline instead of going to an urgent care clinic for triage. We schedule doctor visits when the doctor's office is not busy. Et cetera.

Be well everyone.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby KitMcDaydream » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:00 am

Una+ wrote:Glad to know your disaster/emergency is entirely vicarious. But vicarious trauma is all too real.

To limit vicarious trauma I do not watch TV news nor listen to new on the radio. Those media outlets are all about arousing fear. Newspapers and new magazines have much higher quality information. Latest teaser in my newsfeed has been "Breaking News! Coronavirus confirmed in Texas!!!" Yes, in a person evacuated from China and isolated for the 14 day waiting period.

I follow WHO, the US CDC, etc so I know contacts of persons who might have been infected are already being traced, and thousands of persons are being tested for every case confirmed. I also know coronavirus is, by the numbers, not as lethal as this season's influenza. Influenza kills!

My family uses infectious disease control measures. When we are sick with influenza like illness (ILI) or gastroenteritis we stay home. When a lot of other people are sick with same we limit social contacts. We phone up the doctor or a nurse helpline instead of going to an urgent care clinic for triage. We schedule doctor visits when the doctor's office is not busy. Et cetera.

Be well everyone.

We had to look up the word 'vicarious' and it seems to indicate you are suggesting our alters are making everything up?

The system will not allow anyone to have to endure outsiders to belittle or bully us so we've been told we have to leave the forum as this post has been flagged as a potential bullying tactic.

B
System protector
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views