Our partner

Tough questions from my 15yo son -- getting deep!

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

Tough questions from my 15yo son -- getting deep!

Postby HeartMomtoDID » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:50 pm

I am adopted-in-the-heart mother to, and close friend of, the many people that live in one adult body.

My 15 year old son "M" has been asking me tough questions about what it means to be a multiple.
"Mom am I a real person?"
"Do I even exist?"
"If Baby (body's legal name) had never gotten hurt, would I never exist?"

It makes me think hard about what I believe to be true about these people I love so dearly.

I tell him "Honey of course you're real! How can we be having this conversation if you aren't real? How can we love each other so deeply if you aren't real?"

I explain to him that, if the body had never been hurt, the energy and spirit and persona of who he is, and everyone in his system or "family", would still exist but in the form of one unified person.

I believe that, at birth, the body contained one soul. But as the body was hurt, God sent additional souls to the body to help carry the burden of the trauma so the body and everyone in it could continue living.

I explain to him that his multiples family system is exactly the same as a family of singletons -- it's just a question of whether each person has their own body or is one body shared by many.

Sorry to get so existential and deep LOL. My "M" is an intelligent boy, a deep thinker, and prone to melancholy. I'm a mom doing her best to explain life when there are far more questions than answers.
HeartMomtoDID
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Tough questions from my 15yo son -- getting deep!

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:07 pm

HeartMomtoDID wrote:I explain to him that, if the body had never been hurt, the energy and spirit and persona of who he is, and everyone in his system or "family", would still exist but in the form of one unified person.

I think this is a great answer!
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:28 pm

Postby ArbreMonde » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Same opinion here!
Multiple system Dx autistic, depression, c-PTSD...

They/them: --Zami--
He/him: -X- or -David- | oOo van H. oOo | //Ulysses// | °Isaïa° | ((Wolf)) | {Envy} | #Uriel# | .....
She/her: ~Theia~ | oOo Mrs. H. oOo | *Reyna* | ♥Lust♥ | .....

Journey thread
ArbreMonde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:28 pm

Postby Pocketwatch » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 am

Hey, I also agree!

My therapist told me that in essence, everyone has multiple versions of themselves. In singletons they just work together as one being so they are integrated, but with us they are all their own person.
This makes for more of a team effort but it can pay off really well.

I hope M feels a bit better if he reads these comments, it's hard when you question your place in the world.

-Pocketwatch
Pocketwatch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 pm

Postby lartiste » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Hey,

I‘ve also thought about the souls part before. When I found out about being multiple I struggled with those deep existential questions aswell. I am not telling you you are wrong as I don‘t think my answer is correct (I am agnostic I don‘t know what the truth about the universe is haha). But so far I‘ve thought of myself as having one soul, one body that we all share. But your post got me thinking, why wouldn‘t we have multiple souls? Maybe we do. Wow sorry this isn‘t any help at all

Julia
Body is 19, System of 5 (so far):
-Julia/Jules, 19, Host
-Lucy, 8-11
-Sunny, 5-8
-Annie, 4
-grey thing?
lartiste
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 pm