Our partner

Putting stuff on the back burner

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

Putting stuff on the back burner

Postby Rive » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:57 am

My T said today that maybe we should just not focus so much on whether I am DID or not. Maybe do some IFS work. She said it's much more concrete. Still check in like say hey I'm feeling xyz 3 or 4 times a day and ask what they are feeling. Write it down if it's significant. She said maybe my "bad" alter Thorne could be part of a theory called object relation theory. Where things get messed up by how we perceive things from our parents and that's what Thorne is about. Then later in session I asked her about something and she said that could be an alter or anxiety. I asked her about when I had one dollar to get an orange juice but I was entertaining the thought that I would also get a pop tart even though I couldn't. She said could be an alter could be anxiety. We also talked about right after I eat sometimes I forget for a split second that I've eaten. She said thats probably anxiety. What do you guys think about her approach?
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:05 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Putting stuff on the back burner

Postby myce » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:13 am

I don't know very much about IFS therapy, but I think the different parts it describes are analogous to roles that exist within DID systems, such as hosts, protectors and trauma holders. I forget things from moment to moment, like forgetting that I just ate. I think it's dissociation and anxiety can trigger it.
known forum participants:
day-child, Front, Front0, Front1, Reboot
night-child, Shield/Sentinel, Wolf Corpse and the Howlers
Nebulous
myce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:05 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Putting stuff on the back burner

Postby Sarandipity » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Rive wrote:My T said today that maybe we should just not focus so much on whether I am DID or not. Maybe do some IFS work. She said it's much more concrete. Still check in like say hey I'm feeling xyz 3 or 4 times a day and ask what they are feeling. Write it down if it's significant. She said maybe my "bad" alter Thorne could be part of a theory called object relation theory. Where things get messed up by how we perceive things from our parents and that's what Thorne is about. Then later in session I asked her about something and she said that could be an alter or anxiety. I asked her about when I had one dollar to get an orange juice but I was entertaining the thought that I would also get a pop tart even though I couldn't. She said could be an alter could be anxiety. We also talked about right after I eat sometimes I forget for a split second that I've eaten. She said thats probably anxiety. What do you guys think about her approach?

Read about it quickly. It seems like it makes sense when I relate it to my system. I think alot of DID people would disagree with the central self but for me there has always been, as far as I know, a central calm figure who came external last crisis. She called herself Obsidian. Her internal castle is circular and nobody went in there, I visited in a dream once and that's how I knew it was there in the middle of a forest. I didn't know the rest of the internal world was beyond the forest and her castle was closed to parts of myself at that point.

This IFS sounds ok to me. It's saying parts make up a whole, have roles and there's a central self. The central self part is the only bit I think DID people would dispute. Seeing as you have trouble with DID as a diagnosis it does sound like a good approach because this theory seems to be saying all people have parts but they are not highly distinct.

It's better to read about it yourself though.
Main IW:
Obsidian
Beth KarenPatrickPeterRose
No-one Paul and Lilly
Terra Magicka: The Twins (Batcho and Fortune)Sue the secutary. Jane, a general memory bank.
(Silent Lake : The Overlord/Mr BrightsideThe Whisperers (whisper whats outside), The Lightbringers (shine on parts to front), Martin and Janet (children with tails and wings)).
Sarandipity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:05 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post