Our partner

Psychological testing versus Neuropsychological Testing

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

Psychological testing versus Neuropsychological Testing

Postby Rive » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:07 am

I'm thinking about having someone unbiased who doesn't know me psychologically test me. To see what all I'm dealing with but I am such a doubter I don't know that it would help me in any way. What is the difference between neuropsychological testing and psychological testing? Has anyone had experience with one or the other or both? What was it like?
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychological testing versus Neuropsychological Testing

Postby Floralie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:49 pm

There is no test you can take that tells you what you have, covering all disorders and conditions there are in the world. That's simply impossible. There is no machine someone can put you in and it will give you a list of all things there's wrong in your body and then do diagnoses based on the findings. Things like that don't exist. To be diagnosed you need to be valued by someone based on your symptoms and based on your symptoms you can then do tests for disorders and other conditions. Same way based on the symptoms a doctor orders things like x-rays, ultra sound or blood tests, and there are like millions different blood tests possible to do. No one can have them all done, it doesn't work like that, it's impossible. You get tested for what's reasonable to think you can have. Even with x-ray, they only took that picture from the area where the problem can be, never whole body just in case. It's no different with mental side. There is no such tools that could scan your mind like a machine and then tell what's wrong.

This is not the way you get rid of the problem of denial either, that's just feeding it.
Floralie F main front
Sami M 16 (15-26) defender (trauma)
Lucas M 16 (19) bridge-builder, self care (trauma)
Leon M 4 (trauma?)
Ferro M 14/24 protector (trauma)
Rami M 25 inner protector/caretaker manager
Anastasia F 26 inner caretaker, female sexuality
Jules M 11 main trauma holder with DID
Floralie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:42 am

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:37 am

There is a clinical interview called the SCID-D that is designed specifically to pick up on dissociative disorders. But any psychological or neuropsych testing is based on your responses to questions. So if you're going to doubt how you responded that day, and think that you were exaggerating, or inadvertently misleading the psychologist, then you're not going to trust the results any more than you trust your current diagnosis.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:42 am

Postby Rive » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 am

Well I have already taken these tests online and scored no dissociative disorder on one and low likelihood on the other. Still I haven't been able to find any other disorder that would explain why I talk in a childlike voice in my head without provocation. I've looked everywhere.
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby birdsong87 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:35 am

try looking for a diagnostician instead of a test. Online tests are not how you get diagnosed. and the SCID-D is not offered as a test-yourself-online option.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:42 am

Postby Rive » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:56 pm

This person I have scheduled with is a diagnostician. I thought you could go in and have them test you and they will tell you what you have. So I have to tell them what I am experiencing? That's not unbiased.
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Zor » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:17 pm

There are many things you just can't test for- that are not chemical imbalances, or caused by brain electrical things or "damage" in a physical sense. Some things are more psychological in nature and there are clinical assessment tools, "tests" to help doctors diagnose and treat things... but no "do this and it will give you X answer every time" tests- not for dissociative disorders (nor for so many other psychological disorders and conditions).
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor - primary host & main poster
The rest of us: {\Pixie/}, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, Charles, Chloe, Noah, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:42 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Rive » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Thank you guys
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BeccaBee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:13 pm

neuropsychological testing screens for dementia and cognitive impairment with biological(neurologic causes). a psychological screening is included in the battery. screening for anxiety, suicidality, depression, and paranoia. but most of the testing is memory, cognition, focus, etc.

psychological testing is widely varied. the two you may be most interested in ar the SCID and the SCID-D.

nobody is going to test you without intake and assessment.

good luck!
Female, 38
Dx: DID, C-PTSD, TES

We are the Bees

The Rabbit Hole
BeccaBee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles