Our partner

How often do mental switched happen for you?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby ButterflyBrains » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Long read, ahead...

I have "Mental Switches" a lot.
I'll go from being one person to another. Believing in one thing, or another.
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else can relate.

Fashion:
I've been goth, hippie, punk, comfy sweats and leggings girl, scene kid, plain jain, dresses every day, and even went through a phase where I only wore the same sweatpants and hoodie, every day.

My music taste has gone from heavy metal to classical, pop, folk... all over the board.

Faith changes:

*Trigger warning*


I was raised Christian, with orthodox background.
I have gone from full faith, to not believing in church, back to full faith, not believing in the bible, full faith, "God, where the f*#$% are you?", not believing in the bible or church, back to full faith, "God, please kill me!", "God, please help me!", Not believing in church and believing most of the bible, and back full faith. Then one day I started to really wake up about things (imo) and I through all religion out the window, and finally that stuck.

Dietary changes:

*Trigger Warning*
I had problems with eating and hiding food as a kid. Afraid of my thighs and fat, since about 10 years old.
Since leaving home, I've gone from vegan, to only fish, to only eggs, high-carb vegan, starving myself blatantly, binging, binging and purging, back to high carb vegan, more starving, starving with cycles of binging and purging, trying to eat normal vegan, trying to eat like a normal person, but no dairy or meat, low-carb, OMAD, high-fat (keto), fruitarian, low restriction, high restriction, and idaf what I eat, as long as its healthy.
More recently, having a hard time making myself eat at all.

Bodily Switches:
I've gone from wanting to be so thin I'm on my deathbed, to wanting to look super strong and bulked, to wanting to look skinny again, to wanting to be sickly thin with tone, to wanting to be "healthy skinny", to not wanting boobs at all, to not caring about my boobs, to wanting a nose job, and back to not caring about my nose, wanting eye surgery, to wanting to change my eye colour, have one different colour eye, to lighten my eyes, darken them, I have also had every hair colour in existence, probably 2x over.

All these switches are intertwined. With one personality would come some of the things from each list.

Each time I had a switch, my whole mind changed. I was a completely different person, looked different, acted differently, my beliefs changed with each switch, my outlook on life, what I did with my time, ect.

So often, I've felt like my brain is just split up into many sections, and each personality is a different section of my brain. Have you ever watched the movie 7 Sisters? You might want to at least look up the trailer, to understand my analogy. It may be part of psychosis, but I feel like all these personalities are living in my head, because I often hear from them, and we communicate. I used to be able to choose which one will take control, depending on which situation or activity it was suitable for. Although, the switches are involuntary, for the most part.

Not until more recently have I found myself being a bit more consistent. Everything else seems to still cycle out of control, in my head, and in fact seems to be getting worse. But my choices in faith and belief, also fashion choices and things, seem to be changing less drastically. I feel I'm beginning to appear more "norma", on the outside, and keep these things hidden.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has had so many dramatic shifts in their mind.
It takes work and focus, for the consistency I have now. It's not natural, but forced, the shift still happen, I've just learned how to roll with them and talk sense back into myself. For the most part...
I still struggle a lot! I think I'm just starting to figure it out, a little more.

I'm wondering if this is normal or common for BPD. Maybe it's because mine is intertwined with a lot of psychotic features?

P.S. Sorry, for the long read...
ButterflyBrains
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:15 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby Snaga » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 pm

After reading this...

Normally we allow one forum per topic. As a moderator I try to make sure misplaced topics go where I think they'll get the most and best discussion.

In that spirit, I've moved this to Dissociative Identity Disorder.

It's not a diagnosis in my part, but your post had a very DID feel to it and you might find responses from DID members to be enlightening.

I have however left what's called a shadow over in BPD where you placed the post, so that Borderlines could follow it to here.

I have possibly BPD and OSDD (think DID Lite) traits, and from what little reading I've done, it seems as if BPD has some personality division overlap with OSDD/DID. But a whole lot less.

Also it's my understanding that DID is often first diagnosed as other disorders.

Anyway, I'm not trying to put ideas in your head, and I know in moving it that to people with a certain disorder, things tend to follow the hammer-nail analogy, but I thought a discussion here would be beneficial, and as we don't allow topic duplication across forums in a short time span, I finagled it so that your post can be followed from BPD to here.

As an aside, your post in the anxiety forums had me alternately thinking seizure or some sort of disassociation. Anyway, let's try this here and see what comes of it.
Image

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
User avatar
Snaga
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14046
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:58 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi ButterflyBrains,

I have some questions.

ButterflyBrains wrote:All these switches are intertwined. With one personality would come some of the things from each list.

Each time I had a switch, my whole mind changed. I was a completely different person, looked different, acted differently, my beliefs changed with each switch, my outlook on life, what I did with my time, ect.

So often, I've felt like my brain is just split up into many sections, and each personality is a different section of my brain.


Are you saying that each personality always has a certain religion, clothing style, diet, and body image preference, and that you've changed back and forth to these? Or has it just been one at a time and you don't go back to an old one after you've switched from it?

Do they all feel like they're still present in your brain? Have you tried talking to them?

I agree with Snaga that this sounds more along the OSDD/DID spectrum. With borderline PD, the changes are less consistent. There's identity instability, but not switching among different stable and consistent personalities.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 3298
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:15 am
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby Snaga » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Thanks for the clarification, TGAH- that's what I was thinking of- in my reading about possibly being OSDD 1b I read something to the effect that with BPD (I do think I have BPD traits to some extent) it's not as stable, discrete, etc.

Before I'd read (and approved) this thread, our OP also posted in one of my forums, GAD... here's the link to that, I think it might have bearing on this discussion as well- I was thinking one of two things when I approved it- either actual seizures, or maybe some kind of extreme disassociation? Not my thuktunthp, I'll leave that for others to judge how much bearing it has on this...

generalized-anxiety/topic215113.html
Image

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
User avatar
Snaga
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14046
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:58 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby Zor » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:49 pm

TheGangsAllHere wrote:I agree with Snaga that this sounds more along the OSDD/DID spectrum. With borderline PD, the changes are less consistent. There's identity instability, but not switching among different stable and consistent personalities.


I like always wondered what the diff was with BPD (cuz I see some ppl say "that's not a thing anymore" but others so clearly DO talk about it - like legit psych sites and stuff). Thanks for that explanation in such like an easy to understand way. :)

And, ButterflyBrains, I totally agree... it does sound more like DID-related kinda stuff. Welcome to these forums (or this little part of it anyway)! Glad to have you! :D

{\Pixie/}
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor - primary host & main poster
The rest of us: {\Pixie/}, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, Charles, Chloe, Noah, and a few rarely seen
User avatar
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 12:32 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby Dwelt » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:22 pm

I've seen BPD people with strong dissociative and/or psychotic features, and it can be really hard to make the difference with DID if you don't go into the details with the person (specially if the person knows about DID and thinks they have it, and has developed DID-like symptoms they didn't have before knowing about this disorder...), so to ButterflyBrains : if you have a T, check this option with them, but be careful and don't rush into thinking you have DID.

TheGangsAllHere wrote:With borderline PD, the changes are less consistent. There's identity instability, but not switching among different stable and consistent personalities.

That's why some specialists believe that BPD is on the dissociative spectrum, the step before OSDD.
French system

Main group : Plume, outside-manager | Daemon, inside-manager
Claude, protector | Kal, protector | Erdian, social-manager

"Little" group : Nicolas | Linda | Nathan | Ethan

Second group : Lea | Cassandra | Varegh, protector
User avatar
Dwelt
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:01 am
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby ButterflyBrains » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Snaga wrote:After reading this...

Normally we allow one forum per topic. As a moderator I try to make sure misplaced topics go where I think they'll get the most and best discussion.

In that spirit, I've moved this to Dissociative Identity Disorder.

It's not a diagnosis in my part, but your post had a very DID feel to it...

I have possibly BPD and OSDD (think DID Lite) traits, and from what little reading I've done, it seems as if BPD has some personality division overlap with OSDD/DID. But a whole lot less.

Also it's my understanding that DID is often first diagnosed as other disorders.

Anyway, I'm not trying to put ideas in your head, and I know in moving it that to people with a certain disorder, things tend to follow the hammer-nail analogy, but I thought a discussion here would be beneficial, and as we don't allow topic duplication across forums in a short time span, I finagled it so that your post can be followed from BPD to here.

As an aside, your post in the anxiety forums had me alternately thinking seizure or some sort of disassociation. Anyway, let's try this here and see what comes of it.


I believed I had SSID or DID for a very long time. This is while my diagnosis was only anxiety and depression. Some doctors mentioning schizophrenia to me, but never actually diagnosing me with it.
Then I got diagnosed with BPD, and the pdoc who did said it can sometimes feel like multiple personalities.
I am going to see a new doc soon, and hopefully a new pdoc, as right now I have neither.
In the meantime, I hope this thread can also give some insight. Thanks for putting it in the proper category!
ButterflyBrains
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:15 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby ButterflyBrains » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

TheGangsAllHere wrote:Hi ButterflyBrains,

I have some questions.

ButterflyBrains wrote:All these switches are intertwined. With one personality would come some of the things from each list.

Each time I had a switch, my whole mind changed. I was a completely different person, looked different, acted differently, my beliefs changed with each switch, my outlook on life, what I did with my time, ect.

So often, I've felt like my brain is just split up into many sections, and each personality is a different section of my brain.


Are you saying that each personality always has a certain religion, clothing style, diet, and body image preference, and that you've changed back and forth to these? Or has it just been one at a time and you don't go back to an old one after you've switched from it?

Do they all feel like they're still present in your brain? Have you tried talking to them?

I agree with Snaga that this sounds more along the OSDD/DID spectrum. With borderline PD, the changes are less consistent. There's identity instability, but not switching among different stable and consistent personalities.



The switching used to be more defined like you first mentioned, but more recently starting to muddle together, and borrow from eachother. For example, when I'm suddenly feeling more like one person, I'll still like some of the same things as I did when I was another.

I still don't know how many different people there are in my brain, but yes, some of the voices there are my own voice, talking in the tones of each personality and giving me comments and advice.

I'm confused because I know with things like DID, the person is not usually aware of the switch, or remembers the switch. I have losses of time, but not as often as switches happen.
Also, they can go from slow (weeks at a time), to switching a couple times in a single day.
Also, the personality change isn't that drastic. Its subtle, I'll just speak a little differently and act a little differently, on the outside.

Yes, I have found myself repeated old things. Like suddenly wanting green hair and obsessing about it, till I talk myself out of it.
I also recently went back to being ok with eggs, so long as there humane.
I also find my battle with wanting to die of starvation and be sick, or be physically and mentally strong and undefeatable, a constant back and forth.
I have stuck to my believe in no Gods or higher powers for a a few months now, without going back. So I hope this sticks.

I'm still on the side of BPD, right now. But considering a bit of overlapping with DID.
ButterflyBrains
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:15 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby ButterflyBrains » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:11 pm

Dwelt wrote:I've seen BPD people with strong dissociative and/or psychotic features, and it can be really hard to make the difference with DID if you don't go into the details with the person (specially if the person knows about DID and thinks they have it, and has developed DID-like symptoms they didn't have before knowing about this disorder...), so to ButterflyBrains : if you have a T, check this option with them, but be careful and don't rush into thinking you have DID.

TheGangsAllHere wrote:With borderline PD, the changes are less consistent. There's identity instability, but not switching among different stable and consistent personalities.

That's why some specialists believe that BPD is on the dissociative spectrum, the step before OSDD.


Thanks, and don't worry. I don't believe in self-diagnosing.
I'm suspicious of just having some features of DID, with BPD.
Either that, or a really intense and psychotic form of BPD. I'm mainly looking for things I can evaluate and bring up with my next Pdoc.
ButterflyBrains
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:15 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How often do mental switched happen for you?

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 pm

ButterflyBrains wrote:I'm confused because I know with things like DID, the person is not usually aware of the switch, or remembers the switch. I have losses of time, but not as often as switches happen.
Also, they can go from slow (weeks at a time), to switching a couple times in a single day.
Also, the personality change isn't that drastic. Its subtle, I'll just speak a little differently and act a little differently, on the outside.


It's a myth that switches have to not be noticed or remembered for someone to have DID. Many people have awareness of switches and can be co-conscious for them.

If you have losses of time when someone else is in charge, that's dissociative amnesia--which is not a feature of BPD. There can be a lot of depersonalization and derealization with BPD, but not actual consistent other identities with loss of time between them (that's DID right there). Also, none of the symptoms you describe are psychotic--having other identities is not psychotic. Did your last psychiatrist try to tell you that?

Here's an article someone linked to on reddit. Myth 5 has a lot of good information on the differences between BPD and DID:
https://journals.lww.com/hrpjournal/Ful ... cal.2.aspx

It is important to figure out whether or not you have DID, because the treatment for that is different than the treatment for BPD, and treatment for BPD is not effective for DID.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 3298
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:15 am
Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Allcoulors, birdsong87, MSN [Bot], TheRoseSystem and 63 guests