Our partner

Feeling discouraged

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

Feeling discouraged

Postby Rive » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Someone told me that DID doesn't just show up. My symptoms showed up 7 months ago at 43.
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Feeling discouraged

Postby SystemHarmony » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:38 pm

A lot of people with DID don't realize it for a long time and sometimes it's only after the system becomes more consciously aware of itself that the differences between the alters and symptoms related to switching and such become more obvious, since before that the alters may all be "acting" like the same one person the best they can and symptoms can be dismissed as other various ailments and so on. If you have a lot of amnesia between alters then that can also hide apparent symptoms as well as the potential causes of your DID from you because you simply don't remember them, but on the flip side some systems can also be relatively higher-functioning prior to gaining self-awareness due to having low amnesia and may have a hard time feeling valid.

No one can tell you what you do or don't experience, maybe you don't have DID, but maybe you also just don't understand your DID that well yet. It's very common to have gaps in knowledge and memory and to doubt and deny your condition especially when your awareness of it is still fairly new. I don't know anything about your personal story so I'm afraid I can't say much more than that now but I hope you find some clarity again either way!

~ Desirée ~
SystemHarmony
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Feeling discouraged

Postby Rive » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 pm

Thank you!
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6