Our partner

Not identifying as the race of the body?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

Not identifying as the race of the body?

Postby ThorneInMySide » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Argh. So...I'm kind of conflicted because I don't know whether this is normal or if it's some internalised racism thing I should deal with, but most of my alters don't share the race of the body. I'm always startled when people direct racism towards me or imply that I should know something that people would expect of someone who looks like me...

We grew up the child of immigrants in a city that's become increasingly more multicultural and to me, a shared sense of cultural identity means more than the simple colour of your skin (though of course some people make an identity around their shared skin colour). And so to me it's my nationality that's important, not my skin colour. I know I definitely felt out of place in my parents' home countries and people could tell just by the way I acted that I didn't belong even if superficially I might appear like them at first glance. And so since I grew up more around white people due to my parents neglecting me, it might simply be that my alters reflect my environment rather than my own appearance?

I'm not sure though. Is this something I should be worried about, some sort of self-denial and internalised racism going on here? One of the alters doesn't even identify with our birth nationality since they came into being after we moved to a different country and it's been tripping me up.

I'm just really confused.
-Matilda
'Aki' | 'Bad' | 'Captain' | Danny | 'Feral' | 'Grim' | Linden | Lullaby | Matilda | 'MH' | Momo | 'Numb' | 'Perfectionist' | 'R' | 'Raven' | Teagan
ThorneInMySide
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Not identifying as the race of the body?

Postby Parafoxical » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:46 pm

Never fear! This is 100% totally normal.
Because at its core DID is a kid saying 'this can't be happening to me,' most of the time alters/those who hold the trauma are the opposite of the body/"original" personality.
For example, an Asian girl who is assaulted will likely form a... White male, or just something that is not her.
Hope this helps!
Leana, female
Single personality with a multiple partner, and a long standing interest in how the heck brains work.
Parafoxical
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:48 pm

Postby ThorneInMySide » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:33 am

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. That's really reassuring to hear. Thank you.
'Aki' | 'Bad' | 'Captain' | Danny | 'Feral' | 'Grim' | Linden | Lullaby | Matilda | 'MH' | Momo | 'Numb' | 'Perfectionist' | 'R' | 'Raven' | Teagan
ThorneInMySide
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Postby ZodiacDragon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:14 pm

I agree with Parafoxical. It seems normal to us. It's very common for alters to be something other than the host body.
For example most of us aren't human, and the two that are differ from the body. Kuroneko is half cat-demon, and half human (specifically Japanese, which our body isn't) and while I'm the closest aligned to our body in age and race, I'm male (our body is female).
-Alex

It seems normal to me. I'm Japanese not due to racism but the opposite. After observing me and what we can tell went into me it's clear that our love of Japanese culture and society is why I am Japanese. When I formed our parents were being very hateful towards our liking of any culture other than our own, so it makes sense that our love of other cultures went into me.
- Kuroneko
Depression, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Gender Dysphoria, DID

Alex - Host, Human, 21, FtM, Pan
Sarabi - Opossum, 21, F, Pan
Akane - Anthro wolfdog, 21, M, Pan
Saggita - (Currently reforming)
Anime - Dragon, 2100+, Agender, Demi
Neko - Human-nekomata mix, 945, M, Gay
Flair - Pegasus-dragon mix, 2000+, MtF, Pan
ZodiacDragon
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:48 pm

Postby Amythyst » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Parafoxical wrote:most of the time alters/those who hold the trauma are the opposite of the body

I dunno about 'most of the time', or if it even happens in 'most systems', but its definitely a thing that can happen, so I wouldn't take it as being like wierd or unusual ThorneInMySide.

FWIW we only have one in our system who's a different race than the body, and afaik he doesn't hold trauma. Otoh he's a protector who works close with the troubled ones, so I dunno. :shrug:

And we have 3 nonhumans... Ewan's a cat, like straight-up silver tabby. Me & Kate are 'cat girls', like mostly human but with cat ears and tails.

Viola
Arin(22f); Charlie(6m); Claire(0f); Ewan(4m); Guardian(28m); Janet(4f); Kate(17/22f); L(∞f); Melissa(7f); Mike(35m); Nyssa(10f); Rebecca(∞f); Tegan(5f); Viola(17f); V1(22f); V2(16f); Waste(?); et al.
Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.(New) Journey Thread
Amythyst
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MakersDozn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:14 am

All of us are the same race as the body (Caucasian). Many have a hair color that's different from the body, and about 11 percent of us are male even though the body is female. We have two non-corporeals, but nobody of a different race or species.

It is what it is. We wouldn't read anything into it if it doesn't impede our healing.

MDs
Multiple. Self-dxed 1996. Body 57f, no host or original. System of 47: 42 females, five males; 17 littles (7+under), nine middles (8-11), 14 teens (12-17+), five bigs (18+older), + a formless yin/yang duo. Oldest member is 25.

Notable: Charity (25), Mary (23), Laura (17.5), Allegra (17), Cass (17)
Blog | Our Story | Journey
MakersDozn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Zor » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:40 am

To give more support in this- yeah, normal.

For example, we've got male body, Caucasian..
Inside we've got one "Russian" family (born in the US though)
Two ethnically Jewish (One Sephardi and one Ashkenazi)
One of Irish/Scottish descent.
One directly from Irish nobility (waaaay back in family tree).
A handful of the rest are different mostly in location of origin and residence internally...

All of them from various socio-economic backgrounds as well... some meshing well with the outer world reality the body and external family lived in and came from, many FAR FROM IT.

And of the 12 of us we know (myself included) of... Five of us are male, Seven are female.

So. Yeah, different race/ethnicity, backgrounds, genders, and/or appearances... ENTIRELY NORMAL.
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor - primary host & main poster
The rest of us: {\Pixie/}, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, Charles, Chloe, Noah, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MakersDozn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:55 pm

The body is Ashkenazi. Internally, we don't identify with any ethnic group.

MDs
Multiple. Self-dxed 1996. Body 57f, no host or original. System of 47: 42 females, five males; 17 littles (7+under), nine middles (8-11), 14 teens (12-17+), five bigs (18+older), + a formless yin/yang duo. Oldest member is 25.

Notable: Charity (25), Mary (23), Laura (17.5), Allegra (17), Cass (17)
Blog | Our Story | Journey
MakersDozn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SystemHarmony » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:56 pm

I also want to say that this is totally normal. Our body is Caucasian and so are a lot of our alters, but a lot of us also aren't and I personally have an Asian inner identity. I'm an introject of someone who had a significant influence on us who is Asian so it makes sense. I don't let the race aspect of it bother me, it has nothing to do with the race of the physical body we all share, it's just the body our brain chose for me to use internally, and I don't mind associating with it.

I don't think there's anything to worry about! Not that I'd want to speak for someone else, only you can know your own mind. But I do think this is normal. :)

~ Desirée ~
SystemHarmony
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post