Our partner

Has anyone ever heard of these?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

Has anyone ever heard of these?

Postby Rive » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:22 am

Has anyone ever heard of thought insertion and thought withdrawal in DID. I can find little info on it. I know it differs from schizophrenia because they believe that thoughts are taken away by an outside person (thought withdrawal) or thoughts are beginning put in their mind by an outside person (thought insertion). I say a brief like 1 minute video on what is called these same things in DID. It sounds like what I experience but I cant find more info on the DID perspective of it.
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Has anyone ever heard of these?

Postby Parafoxical » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:02 am

No, I haven't. I'd imagine that you're already familiar with passive influence/etc. One can have both DID and schizophrenia.
Leana, female
Single personality with a multiple partner, and a long standing interest in how the heck brains work.
Parafoxical
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Postby Rive » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 am

Well I did some research on it and as long as the thoughts aren't coming from someone outside my head or being taken from someone outside my head I don't think it's schizophrenia.
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Parafoxical » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:44 am

Could someone be integrating?
I know when Mistletoe integrated into the Entropy system, the host found herself with strange, foreign thoughts that were 'Mistletoe'. Or her influence, more accurately.
Leana, female
Single personality with a multiple partner, and a long standing interest in how the heck brains work.
Parafoxical
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Postby Rive » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Not sure
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Johnny-Jack » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:35 pm

Both of these are phrases -- thought insertion and thought withdrawal" have been mentioned before on this forum but they're originally and perhaps still mostly associated with schizophrenia. I can't say I've read a lot about them but we've experienced both maybe. We continue to experience a thought or realization being wiped away, even (or especially?) during therapy. Very frustrating. It could also be described as having our focus blanked momentarily so that what we had been focusing on is just gone. If we try hard, we can sometimes get it back.

For us, thought insertion has been an alter saying something internally, which we've taken to be ourselves thinking.

Rive, there would be more replies if you'd titled this thread "thought insertion and thought withdrawal" rather than what you wrote. Many members can't read everything and go to topics that say something. My observation has been that open-ended questions that don't actually say anything aren't effective when you have a more concrete alternative.

For example, "shutting down around authority figures" is likely to get more reads and responses than "why does this happen?" when what you're wondering about how you happen to shut down around people in positions of power.

There are other good reasons for naming threads with the main thing you're writing about. If you want to flip back a few pages of thread titles, it helps to have something specific rather than something vague or generic like "I keep doing this."

That said, I think "hi, my introduction" and similar titles are fine because a lot of members want to meet and welcome newcomers.
Forum rules

Dx = DID. My Blog. My personal Periodic Table of alters.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn
Johnny-Jack
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:16 am
Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Rive » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Thank you

-- Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:11 pm --

Thank you
Rive
Consumer 6