Our partner

Thought snatching

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

Thought snatching

Postby Rive » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:47 pm

I have noticed that sometimes my thoughts stop. I don't purposely stop them that I am aware of. Like for example if I am thinking I want a glass of milk. Sometimes in my thinking process it will be like I want a glass..... So my therapist said I am not actually stopping my thoughts if I know what they are going to say. She said to just say was there something you wanted to tell Me? Is there a name for this?
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Thought snatching

Postby Floralie » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:23 pm

I don't think there is. And I don't actually agree with your T about them not stopping. Before you (or anyone) start to think the thing you're thinking about with words, there's an urge or desire etc. That's more reflect like, I'm sorry I' not able to explain this properly with right words, because it's in foreign language.. but maybe you understand. There's an urge first, and after that there's a though that's worded. So your reactions/urges, or how ever they should be called, are the place where you get the information it is about milk, and because they're your thoughts, of course you know what you are about to say in your mind before you think it with words. Your thoughts, when they're genuinely your own, don't have surprising ending, like you wouldn't know what you want before your thoughts are in that point you word your want. You can't word it at all, if you don't know what are you gonna "say".

So I get what you mean, I've never heard about it tho, so I don't know what's it about, or if it is DID related thing.

I may have something similar, but that can be also totally different thing. Totally different cause. Sometimes when I read - and it's only happened in here, never when reading a book or anything else - I start reading with stopping words. I mean words in my mind are with pauses between them. It feel like, if the sentence would be I want a glass of milk, I'd be reading it like: I.(pause)Want.(pause)A glass.(pause)Of.(pause)Milk.

Both my reading and thoughts (worded thoughts) feel like they're very.. clumsy in a way.

I don't know what's it about, so maybe this isn't helpful. I don't have a name for it either, but I experience something similar kind every now and then.
Floralie F main front
Sami M 16 (15-26) defender (trauma)
Lucas M 16 (19) bridge-builder, self care (trauma)
Leon M 4 (trauma?)
Ferro M 14/24 protector (trauma)
Rami M 25 inner protector/caretaker manager
Anastasia F 26 inner caretaker, female sexuality
Jules M 11 main trauma holder with DID
Floralie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Postby Rive » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Thank you. I don't think I explained well. Let me try again. It's usually when something foreign pops in my head. Like for instance if I go to think Stop touching me. (Sometimes that happens in my head when there is no one touching me) In my head I will say Stop...(because I know this random thought is coming about somebody touching me when no one is. It's kind of like I panic because I know that's a weird thought when no one is near me but I don't intentionally do it) So I'm like Stop... but I know the rest of the sentence is going to be touching me. It isn't only with repetive things. It can be just if I have something I feel is a way weird thought popping up. Almost always I intuitively know what the rest of the sentence will be.
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby myce » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 am

Rive,
I hope my explanation will not be confusing. Understand that I am trying to describe what I have observed but don't have words for it. So I use the metaphor like the mind is a computer running different processing threads. I think everyone has lots of different processing threads working consciously and unconsciously. But with a dissociative disorder they don't work the same way as normal people. They're more isolated from each other. Some verbal processes can get stuck in repetitive loops always saying the same things. I don't know why, except the verbal loops can cover the feelings you don't want to feel.

Sometimes I have noticed there are two threads to a thought. I noticed it even when I was a child. I assume it's true even in normal people but it's not always noticeable or conscious. It's like what Floralie said about there is the urge and then the words. I understand and it reminded me.

The first is fast and nonverbal and you know in an instant what the thought is. The second thread follows and it's slower, it turns the thought into words. The nonverbal process is very fast, but airy and could easily dissipate or be lost in the unconscious. The verbal process is slow and awkward compared to the nonverbal process, but it feels more solid. It makes things seem more “real.” I think it could get glitchy under some circumstances because it's harder to process.

It seems that you're experiencing a nonverbal thread that seems weird and foreign. The process starts to turn the thought into words. There is another fast nonverbal thread, maybe a feeling thread, that observes the first and that caused panic. It's normal in a dissociative system for some parts to be phobic of other parts because of the disorder. The thought process was triggering so it was stopped before finishing the sentence. It could happen that way because feelings and instincts are faster than verbal thoughts.

I like the idea of asking “was there something you wanted to tell Me?”
OSDD, 43 f.
known forum participants:
day-child, Front, Front0, Front1, Reboot
night-child, Shield/Sentinel, Wolf Corpse and the Howlers
Nebulous
myce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:11 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Rive » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:12 am

Thank you and I understand. I do alot of reading. *******Trigger Warning mention of doubt of DID*****
I had always assumed that was what they called mind pop in schizophrenia where random things that dont make sense are repeated. Or intrusive thoughts. What you are saying makes sense too. Yeah, she actually had some very helpful advice this time. I made it cleaaar I didnt want to intergrate so she said I should get to know my alters better then. We are going to play next session so that should be fun.
Rive
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post