Our partner

CSA group support with D.I.D.

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Violarules, Johnny-Jack

CSA group support with D.I.D.

Postby hbodhi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:50 am

My T and I talk a lot about us finding extra supports as things are starting to surface and we could use it. I wasn't sure it would be a good thing for us or not. I became willing to call them and just see what they would say.

They have to call our T because we are diagnosed with D.I.D. and it may not be a good fit for a CSA group (???). I had told them T looked over the guidelines and such with us and thought we may be ready in most the areas (like four of the six they request) and we are currently working on the others. I would like to say I get it, but it seems a little discriminating honestly.

It starts tomorrow night and nobody even reached out to T yet. Not sure it is good to go somewhere where they worried about the D.I.D. Then again think it is good they acknowledge it. It could really help with some of the CPTSD symptoms I think.

Have any of you all did group therapy before? Did it help?
hbodhi
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: CSA group support with D.I.D.

Postby birdsong87 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am

is that a self-help group or a therapy group?

we have some group therapy experiences wiht a group specifically for CSA survivors and the thing was, all of them had some level of structural dissociation going on. the group therapy program even included teaching about dissociated parts. the problems are the same for cPTSD. it just didn't cover more than basic communication for dissociative disorders.

we've seen truly terrible attempts at group treatment, with 15 people in the room, zero trust and interactional approaches.

the thing is, you need to learn more about how the group is doing things to understand if that might or might not be good. so far it seems like you mostly know what they demand of you but not how they even work.
in a good group you would practice mindfulness/imagery/relaxation together and talk through typical cPTSD difficulties like setting boundaries, emotional regulation, assertiveness, managing flashbacks or difficult days... it would never be about traumatic experiences. a PTSD group rarely profits from sharing highly triggering stories with other people who are probably dissociative too.
who is leading that group? if it is a therapy group there should be 2 Ts present.
let us know more about this and how the first meeting turns out
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Postby Una+ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Sounds like they are being cautious, and properly so. Screening is a requirement for a CSA group to be healthy and safe for both established members and newcomers. You should expect that they screen everyone. Do not attend until they have told you that you are welcome to attend. Expect them to talk with you beforehand about your introduction to the group.

And if you are meeting only 4 of the 6 criteria for entry to the group, then you are not ready to join it.

What kind of group is it? Meaning, what kind of work does it focus on? Is it psychoeducational? Skills of daily living? Boundaries? Resource utilization? Interpersonal dynamics? Process? Safety and stabilization?

If it is all about unloading stories of their trauma, each one worse than the one before, that's a sick vicarious trauma group and you should stay far, far away.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Postby hbodhi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Thank you L and Una+ for your replies.

I spoke more yesterday with an intake intern. She apologized for not being as transparent the first time I spoke with her.

It is a trauma informed therapist led group of 6 - 8 individuals which runs primarily as a peer support group. They are basically there just to facilitate. Due to having a D.I.D. diagnosis they said I cannot join - not anyone who has D.I.D. They explained it was because if a Little came out it could re-traumatize them. Especially since my Littles have not started talking through their own trauma - if they hold any. Although the group is focused on building basic emotional regulation, boundaries, safety, and grounding work, a lot of times there are members who feel empowered to tell their stories.

I now understand that this is them being cautious and that really helped to hear. I think it felt discouraging because extra support would really help right now. We have our partner and T but that is the extent right now - actually we have here too which is huge. It is really hard for me to connect to other people with the D.I.D. dx being so recent. With us just moving away from all friends when we left the abusers a year ago because they all knew them and we needed to just disappear, we lost those supports. Yet, walking away from all that has made it so we are safe enough to heal with D.I.D.

I guess, I am wondering is it better to be further along with our T with co-consciousness first? My hardest thing is with stabilization is my emotional regulation is something I really struggle with. Yet, I am aware more support is better.
hbodhi
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby birdsong87 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 pm

I think it is nice when people feel empowered to share, but is everyone in the group empowered to listen?
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Postby Una+ » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Therapy groups are not all created equal, and inappropriate groups can do you far more harm than good.

Ask around! There may be another group that would be suitable for you at this time. And there may be other resources available that are suitable for you now, other than groups.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Postby hbodhi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Birdsong you made me laugh out loud. It was exactly what I said to the lady I spoke to.

Thanks Una+ my T is looking into some other resources for us. She hasn't shared what they may be with us yet as she wanted to make sure it was a better experience.

I do think not getting into the group was a good thing as I would like to have a better grasp on emotional regulation first. I do see the need for extra support too, but it will come eventually. The forums help us not feel alone and besides T that has been our biggest help.
hbodhi
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post