Our partner

Alters out without "triggers"

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Alters out without "triggers"

Postby Zor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Something someone said has me curious... Basically their statement was they believed an alter can only come out from a trigger causing them to.

We don't see to work that way- we seem to have people, a handful of us, come and go more or less at will. Is this REALLY that unusual?
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor - primary host & main poster
The rest of us: {\Pixie/}, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, Charles, Chloe, Noah, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Alters out without "triggers"

Postby VioletFlux » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Yeah our system definitely doesn't work that way. I mean, sometimes a trigger will bring someone out.

But we do lots of switching without any specific trigger. Especially up front, the 'host' job. Me and Arin and V2 swap that on a sorta schedule.

Viola
Outside Team: Arin (22f); Viola (17f); V2 (16f);
Inside Team: Charlie(6m); Claire(0f); Ewan(4m); Guardian(28m); Janet(4f); L----(∞f); Melissa(7f); Mike(35m); Nyssa(10f); Rebecca(∞f); Tegan(5f); Trina(25f); V1(22f); Waste(?); et al.
Body: 49f • Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.Journey ThreadTeam Flux
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby exul » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Not unusual at all, at least for us. Some of us can't even come out when a (positive or negative) trigger is out sometimes, because they simply aren't there, or they don't manage to fully take the front.
Body: 19, f
Posters:
Host (12/14, non-binary), Guardian (40ish, m), Nico (35, m), Nathan (25ish, m), Xavier (15, m).

Others:
Benedict (42, m), JR (27, m), Leo (19, m), Rebecca (14/16, f), Miles (8, m), Little Girl (7, f), Viola (5, f), Hades (m), (...)
exul
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:03 am
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Zor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 pm

exul wrote:Not unusual at all, at least for us. Some of us can't even come out when a (positive or negative) trigger is out sometimes, because they simply aren't there, or they don't manage to fully take the front.

This could be a naive or ignorant question... but aside from the obvious "negative" being something that recalls or resembles painful moments... what IS a positive trigger? and how is it different from a negative one?
(Body - Male, 39)
The rest of us: {\Pixie/}, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, Charles, Chloe, Noah, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby VioletFlux » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:54 pm

Sorry for the 'meme' but this is a kind of positive trigger in our system:

Literally we see a rabbit and Melissa is there yelling "BUNNY" out loud! :lol:

Viola
Outside Team: Arin (22f); Viola (17f); V2 (16f);
Inside Team: Charlie(6m); Claire(0f); Ewan(4m); Guardian(28m); Janet(4f); L----(∞f); Melissa(7f); Mike(35m); Nyssa(10f); Rebecca(∞f); Tegan(5f); Trina(25f); V1(22f); Waste(?); et al.
Body: 49f • Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.Journey ThreadTeam Flux
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Postby exul » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 pm

LOL, I totally quote Viola on that!

A positive trigger is exactly that, something not trauma-related that will help or directly trigger one specific alter to come out. It's usually something the alter likes very much or that is a huge part of their identity. For us could be songs, specific video-games, specific clothes even, or books.
Body: 19, f
Posters:
Host (12/14, non-binary), Guardian (40ish, m), Nico (35, m), Nathan (25ish, m), Xavier (15, m).

Others:
Benedict (42, m), JR (27, m), Leo (19, m), Rebecca (14/16, f), Miles (8, m), Little Girl (7, f), Viola (5, f), Hades (m), (...)
exul
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby KitMcDaydream » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:46 pm

That meme made us laugh! A family member took us shopping last week, its years since we'd been in that particular shopping centre and as we went past a card shop there was 'Tatty teddy' standing there, before we (me and Sioux were fronting) knew it we were in front of Tatty Teddy shaking hands with a rather amused person dressed in a teddy suit! :D

We had to quickly remember we were in a grown up body with the family member looking back (they'd carried on walking not realising we'd stopped) looking rather bemused! :oops: :D
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:03 am

Postby fireheart » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Hahah. that's funny Viola!
it's the same for us. not everything is connected to trauma.
fireheart
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SOHank » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Positive triggers in SF's system would be gummy bears and me getting home from work. :D

I don't know if trigger is really the right word though, but I don't have a better one. SF has gotten to where several pay attention to whats going on, but most of the time it's boring day to day stuff. Then something that is interesting to one or a few happens and the most interested takes or shares control.

There are also several who will come out because they want to talk, want my help to do something, or just want to spend time with me. Then there are others that really don't come out unless someone invites them.
Married to SunflowerGals
SOHank
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Zor » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:22 pm

exul wrote:LOL, I totally quote Viola on that!

A positive trigger is exactly that, something not trauma-related that will help or directly trigger one specific alter to come out. It's usually something the alter likes very much or that is a huge part of their identity. For us could be songs, specific video-games, specific clothes even, or books.

Oh ok. That makes a lot of sense. I kind of assumed that, but you know how dangerous assumptions can be in general, much less with something sensitive and atypical as this. :) Figured it was better to ask and _actually know_ than to guess and assume. :) Thanks. :)
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post