Our partner

Alters and Emotions

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Alters and Emotions

Postby donna1995 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:53 am

Is there any possibility for an alter to represent a specific emotion?
donna1995
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Alters and Emotions

Postby VioletFlux » Mon May 13, 2019 10:34 am

Hello Donna,

Yes I believe it's very possible. Perhaps even 'situation normal'?

In our system, Anger is both the emotion and an alter unto itself. In the past when any of us should have been angered, the emotion was quickly absorbed by Anger, so we never got angry, never felt angered. Then it would all come back out again later (at home, in private), in a loud destructive rage.

Much more subtlely, we've found that different alters seem to hold certain emotions, or those alters appearances can be predicted by the emotions we are suddenly overwhelmed with. Unlike Anger though, these other parts aren't just the pure emotion and nothing else; they are more developed or even fully formed, but with a specific emotion at their centre.

For instance, depression, fear, loneliness, abandonment, etc, are or were all divided up among different alters. So, if host was suddenly taken with overwhelming fear for no reason, that was a sure sign that one specific alter was active or nearby.

We believe for our system at least, things came about this way because it was dangerous to have / display certain emotions. So they were pushed away, packaged up and handed off to other alters, so that the host at the time was oblivious to them and therefore not at risk from displaying them.

Arin
Outside Team: Arin (22f); Viola (17f); Violet aka V2 (16f);
Inside Team: Charlie(6m); Claire(0f); Ewan(4m); Janet(4f); L----(∞f); Melissa(7f); Mike(35m); Nyssa(10f); Rebecca(∞f); Trina(25f); V1(22f); et al.
Body: 49f • Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.Journey ThreadTeam Flux
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Postby Zor » Mon May 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Yeah, and there's an entire "category" of alters that are like just emotion holding sometimes, too... called "emotional parts".

But beyond that, totally. We've read about and seen ppl talking about how this or that part is like one that is mostly just angry, or scared, or the "joy" in their system. When any of them or the system as a whole needs that, that part is like there for it- either coming out or coming "close" to the others to provide that.

I'd be like totally lying to be all "I so know how this works", cuz I don't- we don't have a specific one of us in that kinda manner, but we DO have two parts that are generally known for being "little rays of sunshine" in our system- Katya, whose nickname is "Sunflower" cuz she's "pretty as a flower" and "a little ray of sunshine" (sunshine + flower = sunflower), and Chloe, whose just all giggles, smiles, and loves coloring and cartoons... (11'ish)- she's also a bit of the "childhood innocence" of us, first came after the later monster hurt us, me, and I think maybe she was a "but I'm a kid" kinda desperate to feel safe and innocent still kinda like creation/need.

We're still like trying to figure ourselves and each other out now that we're unifying the outside and inside worlds and lives. It's a very slow and long process. But that's so off-topic, so...

{\Pixie/}
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor - primary host & main poster
The rest of us: {\Pixie/}, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, Charles, Chloe, Noah, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 10:58 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby exul » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 am

Indeed like Zor said, I think you're referring to Emotional Parts which are basically alters who are a more 2D version of a personality, only taking in a restrict role and having a restricting range of emotions and behaviours.

For us we just have one (maybe two?) EP. She's called Calm, and it's exactly like her name suggests, so she takes in all the possible relaxing and calming feelings and possibly "stores" them for later. I imagine that's why we can never rest. We just don't have the possibility to feel calm, because she's the one that holds the mood.

That was just an example but yes, it is very common and possible to have those kind of alters!
Posters:
host (19, f, non-binary), Guardian (40ish, m), Nico (35, m), Xavier (15, m).

Others:
Benedict (42, m), JR (27, m), Nathan (25ish, m), Leo (19, m), Rebecca (14/16, f), Miles (8, m), Little Girl (7, f), Viola (5, f), (...)
exul
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 5:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Zor » Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 pm

exul wrote:Indeed like Zor said, I think you're referring to Emotional Parts which are basically alters who are a more 2D version of a personality, only taking in a restrict role and having a restricting range of emotions and behaviours.

For us we just have one (maybe two?) EP. She's called Calm, and it's exactly like her name suggests, so she takes in all the possible relaxing and calming feelings and possibly "stores" them for later. I imagine that's why we can never rest. We just don't have the possibility to feel calm, because she's the one that holds the mood.

That was just an example but yes, it is very common and possible to have those kind of alters!

Actually it was Pixie that said that, but we're kinda connected, right? ;) I think she summed up most of what I would have said anyway...
(Body - Male, 39)
The rest of us: {\Pixie/}, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, Charles, Chloe, Noah, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Skaya » Tue May 14, 2019 8:04 pm

Yep, we get that too - fragment or 2D parts that are a single emotional state. We don't have many that recur frequently but we have a sad, an angry and a happy part that happen occasionally. Totally normal in our experience, but I can't speak more generally.
Em (25, f, host), Jen (19, f) Echo (4, f) Angel (9, f), Vivian (36, f), Jacob (13, m), Xavier (?, m), Oliver (?, m) SO Lex (f) may be mentioned.
Skaya
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Postby SOHank » Tue May 14, 2019 8:24 pm

“Situation normal.” :)

Sunflower has several like this. One even went by The Angry One for a while. There is also one for fear, pain, and crying as well. Some have developed more than just the emotion. Others have not.
Married to SunflowerGals
SOHank
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby exul » Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Zor wrote:Actually it was Pixie that said that, but we're kinda connected, right? ;) I think she summed up most of what I would have said anyway...

Ohhhhh, I'm so sorry!! I usually just go with the username, just to refer to the whole system and not just the single alter writing, but I really didn't notice this time!
Sorry again, I'm pretty embarassed right now.
Posters:
host (19, f, non-binary), Guardian (40ish, m), Nico (35, m), Xavier (15, m).

Others:
Benedict (42, m), JR (27, m), Nathan (25ish, m), Leo (19, m), Rebecca (14/16, f), Miles (8, m), Little Girl (7, f), Viola (5, f), (...)
exul
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 5:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Zor » Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 pm

exul wrote:
Zor wrote:Actually it was Pixie that said that, but we're kinda connected, right? ;) I think she summed up most of what I would have said anyway...

Ohhhhh, I'm so sorry!! I usually just go with the username, just to refer to the whole system and not just the single alter writing, but I really didn't notice this time!
Sorry again, I'm pretty embarassed right now.

No worries... I'm kind ok with being mixed up with her, even if she's some crazy girl. ;)
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post