Our partner

Criteria for checking in to a hospital

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Criteria for checking in to a hospital

Postby walden » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 am

Hi All,
Here's whats been going on: It's been really bad lately, and the dissociation and identity alteration experiences are CONSTANT. Losing time at work is a major concern (again), and so is the days lost feeling like a passenger. "I" am behind another, somewhere deep inside and listening to music. People seem to feel a change in my vibe and have made comments. I Recently have started seeing a psychologist again because of this. My head is full of Voices, and it seems like there are Shapes inside that are talking with one another, and it's very distracting and seem to contribute to the identity alteration issues (Recently posted about these). The identity alteration confusion seems to change at the flip of a coin and "I" will go from behaving one way to a completely different way many times during a conversation with someone. In the past I didn't seem to notice this (but people have made comments), but now it is abundantly clear. Today I went out for lunch with someone, and when I came home, I felt inside my head as described above- whomever was in front seemed to feel completely lost walking to my door, and "I" Couldn't remember anything that happened at all during the day! Ugh! A new and very protective part was recently revealed while discussing with the new psychologist, not sure if this guy was the one in front or not yet.

So for the third time, I have been diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder. But this time things feel different- I am much more aware of what's going on inside and much less lost in murky waters of derealization. This may be due to finally confronting some very terrible memories. Another story.

I want to knock this out of the park and finally fix it!

I was recently made aware of a local hospital that specializes in DID (Thank you @thegangsallhere). Seriously considering an inpatient approach.

Should I do this? What is the criteria for checking oneself in? Has anyone here done this? What was the outcome?

Thank you all!
walden
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Criteria for checking in to a hospital

Postby Sarandipity » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:21 pm

What you're saying sounds really sensible to me. I haven't done it so I don't know how you do it.

The first time I was admitted to hospital was because an ambulance came because I didn't know who I was at all, my name address, nothing. They took me. That was 20 years ago. Since then if we've needed hospital we've "let the twins out" who are basically delusional for the first 3-5 days of being thrown outside and we get treated for psychosis. Except when we had a really good doctor who refereed us to therapy and let us rest for a week in hospital.

I have had similar problems to what you're describing recently. I had a rest over Christmas and feel alot better. I have also in the past took myself to a hotel for the weekend and just rested, gone for walks and had a facial - that kind of thing. Self care really. But i have no interest in integrating which is what I think they'd aim at and so I work out life aspects on my own. It's quality of life for me rather than cure the problem.

But i wanted to reply to be supportive of your decision. That if that's what you feel is a good idea for you and what you want then it sounds like a great idea to go to a hospital and ask for help.

Much luck and blessings. May you find what you're seeking.
[/coloru]Sarandipity
[color=#BF40FF]Beth
KarenPatrickPeterthe twinsMandyRose
No-one
Sarandipity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Una+ » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:28 pm

The hospital may have a day patient program in addition to inpatient. A day patient would go there for the day, during work hours, and return home each evening.

Whether you go inpatient or day patient, expect to schedule the treatment and to have at least a preliminary written treatment plan in place beforehand. Your current psychologist can help you to develop this. The treatment plan will include your specific goals for the work. Stabilization? Working through trauma memories? Grief work? Behavioral therapy? Substance abuse recovery or other behavioral health issues? Uncovering parts? Do you want fusions, or not?

The first step is to call the hospital and talk with the intake manager about starting this planning process.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.

Is your dx DID (or MPD/DDNOS/OSDD)? Join the 2017 survey: Time to diagnosis?
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby birdsong87 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:07 pm

where we live there is a big difference between checking in to hospital for an emerecny situation, where they don't offer any therapy, just safety. Or planning for a stay in a therapy clinic.
we plan to be inpatient every other year. we chose the clinic well. we do what Una said, prepare, write down goals, talk to them about treatment blocks that would be helpful. and we limit the time. depending on the goals.
twice in our life we kind of stumbled into a random therapy clinic and it did more harm than good. that is where we collected additional trauma.
we have our best therapy with the specialized clinic. it does help that they do all the cooking and cleaning for us, so that we can invest our limited resources into therapy work.
Day patient can be great because you can return to an environment that feels safe to you. but if you are running low on energy and you have to do clinic AND home that can be overwhelming. so whatever you do, it always depends on your situation and your goals.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Postby Floralie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:00 pm

Oh, I would love to go to hospital for a therapeutic reason, with goal written down and everything, to get treatment. Where I live, that is only for underage kids. They have another "choice" to stay in too of course, because of emergency, but for grown ups it's almost only for emergency reasons. There are two kind of emergencies, the kind you need to sign in right away, but if you can survive at home while waiting a place, because hospitals are many times full and you may need to wait, then you wait at home. Then you can have support at home (right to phone calls and someone comes to visit you as planned in each case) until there's room for you in the hospital.

There are some other reasons too, for example if you are treated with electric shocks (is that what they are called?) for example, then you stay in as a part of your treatment. But other than that or something similar, there is no such thing as staying in hospital and have treatment in there. They want you out as fast as possible. It is a place to stay, you have food and a bed and first and maybe the second day nurses will come and talk with you. After that they won't anymore. They have always wanted to send us back home after 3-5 days, regardless how we are doing. Some times we have been feeling OK and spend time with other people in there, sometimes just stayed in bed. We never eat at the hospital. (It's an inner goal of someone's to lose weight as much as possible while in.) Our official reason for staying in has been either depression or insomnia. Especially with depression you will be sent back home as soon as you agree not to act suicidal.

We've been hospitalized several times, I don't know how many. All but one cases have been after overdosing medication, and we've been first in "physical side" of the hospital and after that psychiatric ward. We have overdosed to get to the hospital, not because we would've wanted to die. We don't know how to ask for help, so that was what we did to get it. It was either Fourteen or certain other teen in the system who really hopes to get help but can not say it out loud. I am not sure are they different parts, or if they are the same thing, if that "other teen" IS Fourteen. There is so many similarities, I've start to believe it has been him.

One time we have been in because I told to my T back then I wanted to take certain meds to experience hallucinations. She thought it was self destructive and asked if I wanted to go to a hospital. I said I do, and there was no room, so we waited for some time, maybe a week or two, I really don't remember. Someone came to visit us at home, but for us it was not support but a stress to have someone visiting. However it was meant for support.

Back to what was this thread about: I don't know anything about DID-hospital, but staying in in your situation doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I'm very keen to know what kind of treatment there are, what do they do in DID-hospital, so share if you will go.
Floralie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Postby Una+ » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:53 pm

The Sidran Institute maintains a list of trauma and dissociation treatment programs in the United States. It appears the list has not been updated since 2013 but much of the information should still be relevant.

Be aware: Listing is not an endorsement by the Sidran Institute, which merely compiles the list as a resource.

Sidran.org: Trauma Treatment Programs (PDF)
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.

Is your dx DID (or MPD/DDNOS/OSDD)? Join the 2017 survey: Time to diagnosis?
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Windsoar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:12 am

Asked this question too. Talked to a few *graduates*. Asked what they thought was a down side, several mentioned not being accustomed to being with other DIDs. Upside was being around staff who understood & the feeling among alters that they were safe to come out & work. Of course, also not having to stick to one hour sessions.
Windsoar
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 am

Postby walden » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:14 am

Sarandipity wrote:I have had similar problems to what you're describing recently. I had a rest over Christmas and feel a lot better. I have also in the past took myself to a hotel for the weekend and just rested, gone for walks and had a facial - that kind of thing. Self care really. But i have no interest in integrating which is what I think they'd aim at and so I work out life aspects on my own. It's quality of life for me rather than cure the problem.

But i wanted to reply to be supportive of your decision. That if that's what you feel is a good idea for you and what you want then it sounds like a great idea to go to a hospital and ask for help.

Thanks for the support, very appreciated. Self care hotel retreat is a great suggestion- I've briefly thought about it, I think I should give it a shot. It's great news it helped you!

I'm not sure how I feel about fusion as well. Not sure why, I think it may have something to do with a little guy being scared of disappearing.

Una+ wrote:Whether you go inpatient or day patient, expect to schedule the treatment and to have at least a preliminary written treatment plan in place beforehand. Your current psychologist can help you to develop this. The treatment plan will include your specific goals for the work. Stabilization? Working through trauma memories? Grief work? Behavioral therapy? Substance abuse recovery or other behavioral health issues? Uncovering parts? Do you want fusions, or not?

The first step is to call the hospital and talk with the intake manager about starting this planning process.

Thank you for your thoughts. I've been inpatient before for depression, I'm leaning towards this, but those lose of freedoms is a downside.

But hey maybe it'll help to know that good people are looking out.

A written treatment plan sounds very helpful. Even just for working with a therapist. Once a week doesn't cut it, there is so much going on. I'm not sure about fusions, but I do want to stabilize and develop an understanding of the dissociation and what the functions of the parts are. So much anger about the sick people that did those terrible things. I would love to vent it all to someone and find peace with it. Again, not enough time in one session per week to tackle this.

birdsong87 wrote:Day patient can be great because you can return to an environment that feels safe to you. but if you are running low on energy and you have to do clinic AND home that can be overwhelming. so whatever you do, it always depends on your situation and your goals.

Thank you for sharing. Seems like a specialized clinic was helpful for you all. I think my stay at a mental facility when I was young was helpful because it got me away from the home. Nowadays, I have my own place. I don't have any suicidal thoughts, but I have had dissociated experiences with self harm in the past, and this is something I am a little unsure of.

Floralie wrote: Our official reason for staying in has been either depression or insomnia. Especially with depression you will be sent back home as soon as you agree not to act suicidal.

We've been hospitalized several times, I don't know how many. All but one cases have been after overdosing medication, and we've been first in "physical side" of the hospital and after that psychiatric ward. We have overdosed to get to the hospital, not because we would've wanted to die. We don't know how to ask for help, so that was what we did to get it. It was either Fourteen or certain other teen in the system who really hopes to get help but can not say it out loud. I am not sure are they different parts, or if they are the same thing, if that "other teen" IS Fourteen. There is so many similarities, I've start to believe it has been him.

I recently read how common insomnia is with DID. I hope you can help Fourteen (and you) and feel better.

Floralie wrote:Back to what was this thread about: I don't know anything about DID-hospital, but staying in in your situation doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I'm very keen to know what kind of treatment there are, what do they do in DID-hospital, so share if you will go.

So I'm considering the McLean Hospital. It's right next to Boston, Mass., which is commutable from my location. I definitely would not ever check in to a regular hospital, especially since I know what the issue is.

Una+ wrote:The Sidran Institute maintains a list of trauma and dissociation treatment programs in the United States. It appears the list has not been updated since 2013 but much of the information should still be relevant.

Be aware: Listing is not an endorsement by the Sidran Institute, which merely compiles the list as a resource.

Sidran.org: Trauma Treatment Programs (PDF)

Thank you, Una+. Good to see the hospital I found is on their list.
walden
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby walden » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:28 am

Windsoar wrote:Asked this question too. Talked to a few *graduates*. Asked what they thought was a down side, several mentioned not being accustomed to being with other DIDs. Upside was being around staff who understood & the feeling among alters that they were safe to come out & work. Of course, also not having to stick to one hour sessions.

Thank you for sharing! Not having to stick to one hour sessions would be a huge help. This stuff is happening more or less constantly, and always when in public. One session per week just touches the surface so far, I really think it would be helpful to spend all day working on it as it is happening.

Also, It would be helpful to be under supervision. I have dissociative experiences at work, and have been told of major things that happened that I have no memory of.

Clearly a major problem!
walden
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post