Our partner

Handwriting

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Handwriting

Postby Exploring » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:05 pm

So I've heard that people with DID may have different handwriting depending on who it is that is writing. Personally, I have very consistent handwriting. That said, sometimes it feels 'unnatural' to write in it or to hold the pencil / pen the way I normally would and that's when the handwriting changes. Sometimes it coincides with foreign thoughts, but I don't think this is always the case. It's also not necessarily consistent in terms of what is being said. Sometimes it's a short paragraph or a few sentences, but most of the time it's just a few words that stand out. I'm still the one holding the pen and I can generally force myself to write in my usual style. It just feel wrong. So I was wondering: is this a general people thing or a dissociative thing? I always thought if it were linked to dissociation there would be a more obvious 'pattern'.
Exploring
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Handwriting

Postby Sarandipity » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 pm

I have different handwriting styles. That's one of the reasons I don't write in a book or journal anymore. The first reason was it lead to drawn out disagreements between alters who would write messages to eachother.

The second is that because the writing was visually different it made it seem even more like an argument between two different people.

The third is that when you read back something you know "you've" written and all the handwriting looks different it's distressing.

And lastly I didn't find it helpful to attempt to get everyone working as a unit and accept "we're all one person" with visually different handwriting never mind opinions.

So I found this disruptive, encouraging of splitting and also Peter can't read or write and he doesn't want to.

Typing is much more monotone so less offensive and no visual stimulation that highlights differences.

Could it be only one persona for you writes? Or that you have forced them all to write the same for hiding purposes?
Sarandipity
Beth KarenPatrickPeterthe twinsMandyRose
Sarandipity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby birdsong87 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 pm

generally, people who don't have DID typically show changes in their hand-writing that are connected to emotional state and stress levels. It is even called switching in hand writing analyses. that doesn't mean all these people have DID.
We do have different hand writing and the changes are bigger than the normal differences. Letters are written differently, comfortable size of letters is different, space between letters in the word, sharpness vs rounded, they are leaning in different directions etc.
that said, when I write with a passive influence from Asti it usually still comes out as my hand writing, even when the content is clearly influenced by Astis views.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Postby spinningtops » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:40 pm

my handwriting sometimes changes, but usually doesn't. but what does happen like someone said above is other alters in me i think start complaining that the handwriting looks 'wrong,' such that i am now uncomfortable at times seeing my own writing, and keep it to a minimum.

same with looking in a mirror, very different experiences. between recognition, to no recognition, to liking my looks to not.
spinningtops
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:06 am

Postby Floralie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:26 am

I was sure about creating new self after my signature changed.

Fourteen has his own handwriting. His leans to left, mine is pretty straight or a bit more to right side. About others I don't know, they've only typed. My writing changes into Fourteens handwriting when I feel it's me writing about him, so it's co-fronting without me noticing it, or passive influence. It's not completely different, but there are several differences. His letters tend to be long, writing is not high or with big letters, but because of the leaning they take a lot more space than when I normally write the same word. Also the space between words is longer than mine. Overall style is still somehow same kind. Maybe because he doesn't do it alone.

When I write (we are both right handed), my hand stays in one place, and then I move it to another place on the paper. "His hand" moves evenly all the time. He also places his hand upper to where he is writing, and I place mine lower. I think those two things makes the differences, although letters in a way are same looking. But he has never fronted fully that I know of, so I don't know how his writing looks without my influence. Now it's like my handwriting with his way of moving the body.
Floralie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Postby raptureblues » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 am

we all have different handwriting. i write in cursive, small letters, i try and write neatly. jones writes much bigger letters, less cursive, messy. bubbles writes in not joined up letters, bigger letters than mine, but smaller than jones. lain writes in all caps on paper, small letters, very neat. i can't remember how werne writes, for some reason.

we also type differently. jones and i both type all in lowercase with little to no punctuation, but jones is a lot more casual in how he types, and he swears more. lain and charles both type "properly" (i.e. capital letters, correct punctuation) and rarely ever swear, but charles is more formal than lain is.
alice (23, she/her), jones (23, he/him), lain (9-14, they/them), charles (late 20s/early 30s, he/him), bubbles (<9, she/her), werne (???, he/him)

journey thread | insiders weekly
raptureblues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby VioletFlux » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:20 am

We have different handwriting. Some more different / distinctive than others.

V2, V1, and Melissa all have similar writing but V1 wrote small and maybe a bit neater, V2 writes bigger, like she can't stay inside the lines, and her letters are more rounded. Melissa writes double-sized, like uses two lines and uses the lines to guide the upper/lower case letters, like in school? And I just write really messily lol. The others say my writing is like using a pen to scratch the paper.

We've been keeping a handwritten journal for over a year now. It was upsetting at first, mostly for V1, when she first started seeing entries in there that she couldn't remember writing, in handwriting that wasn't hers. I think we're all mostly used to it now though?

Sometimes when we're not sure who's fronting, we'll make a note so we can check the handwriting and see if that gives any clues, like when we're not getting a strong feel for who's here, the writing can give it away. Which seems a bit wierd now I think about it?

Viola
Most Active: Violet aka V2 (16); Melissa (7); Viola (17); Rebecca (∞);
L---- (14); Protectors: Charlie (6); Mike (35); Littles: Arin (6); Janet (4);
Body: 49f; Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.
Our Journey Thread - The whole Flux System
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 am

Postby Everybodies » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Our hand writing is slightly different.
Jon usually writes cursive.
FIFTEEN usually writes n caps.
The others are a mixture of my (Tc) writing in big and small lettering.
When we journal we use different colors...to me writing is sometimes shocking because they may write negative thoughts or argue.
Where do go once you've been through hell?
Dx : d.i.d. , insomnia , bulimia , ptsdI
TC (grown up Host) **Celvin ( 8yr co Host)I
**Also posting**
Jonathan / Ricardo (20)
Celvin (The Watcher)
FIFTEEN (15) and twin Nobody (rarely around)
*** Others Inside are closer than they appear ***
Everybodies
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 am

Postby ItsJustUs » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:33 pm

We each have different handwriting. It used to bother me, but now I'm used to it. I can look through my different college notebooks and tell who was fronting on any given date in a class just by looking at the writing.

K
Kitten 39F-Core, Delilah (age unknown)F- Protector/System Manager/Care Taker, Britney 17F- Former persecutor turned protector, Lilly 5.5F, Little Wolf (young, but age unknown) "job" unknown, Val- age unknown, Female entity, we think she is a protector
ItsJustUs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 am

Postby Muninn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:12 pm

We have a very inconsistent handwriting. Ugly and chaotic, as even our schoolteachers pointed out. There is no specific handwritings that really could be assigned to only one part. It looks a bit like no one really developed a handwriting on their own.

But we have very different drawing/painting styles. When I look at all the art that has accumulated over our life it looks like quite different persons had made them.
Muninn
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post