Our partner

Parts mirroring or influenced by people in real-life?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Parts mirroring or influenced by people in real-life?

Postby Exploring » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:32 pm

Do you have parts 'modelled' after people you knew in real-life? Or do any of you have characteristics, names etc. that can be traced back to details of your life growing up?

There is this woman whose presence I've felt since my childhood. I don't know if she is a part or something else. She looks kind of like an amalgamation of several women I knew growing up, as well as a character in a movie I saw growing up. I never thought about a name until other names popped up and I started wondering if she may have one, but nothing fit quite right, I think. A few days ago as I was getting ready for bed there she was again. (She's been more 'active' again lately in general, probably because I've been so jumpy and stressed and her presence seems to be linked to being scared.) I felt her very strongly, got very terrified (as I do when this happens). I usually talk to her in as casual a manner as I can muster to calm myself down, things like "nice to see you, but I'm actually busy right now" or whatever. That night I was going to go with "good evening / hey there" and instead found myself thinking "good evening, [name]" in this casual, nothing-new, slightly amused way and I was like "wait what". And this terror washed over me because it felt like she was very much there and the name I used is the name of one of the women I mentioned earlier, who is also someone who frightened and hurt me when I was very little (as did the others).
Exploring
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Parts mirroring or influenced by people in real-life?

Postby Jolly jo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:21 pm

IDC is a child of indeterminable age. She has said she would like to be called Laura, after Little house on the prairie, which is perhaps the other way round from what you are asking. She is idealising the life Laura had on the programme as a way of having it for herself. Bit sad really.
Diagnosed DID with a few other states.
Jolly jo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Postby Floralie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:28 am

I've always had my sister in my inner world, or in the inner world of the parts I can see, but not enter as me. She is there, and the reason why, is probably because I grew up without having identity, I copied my sisters opinions and attitudes etc. It's not like that anymore, but she is still there, and my T said it's very important thing that I have her in there. In a way she is the most important part, only the things she witnesses there feel important and "true enough". Those are the things I rewind over and over again. But I don't think she is an actual part, I don't count her as one of the parts. She is something else. She is probably me, representing me from the times I was no one. My sister of the inner world is kind of like a picture of my sister, not like she really is now. Inner sister is based on my sister, or on my view of her and representing my non-existing identity from when the inner world was created. It was created around her.
Floralie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Postby Johnny-Jack » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:45 am

Exploring wrote:Do you have parts 'modelled' after people you knew in real-life? Or do any of you have characteristics, names etc. that can be traced back to details of your life growing up?

Yes to all of those. Personality traits, names, a language dialect, accents, attitudes (both positives and negative), behaviors, skills. We have alters named after childhood friends, nearby towns, politicians, ancestors, TV or movie characters, literary or storybook figures. All of this makes sense to me. None of us happens to be a copy or a clone of an outside person but it's pretty common for that to happen.
Dx=DID John, Johnny, Ryder hosts. Sphinx. Ulric, Gwendolyn 50s. Marc-Dominic, Aaron, Gaul 40s. Jonathan 33. Neville 20. Quato 19. Kyle 16. Calvin, Daniel 15. Faolán 14. Mick/Mxyzptlk, Gordon, Pehr, Hoyt, Flynn, Cam, Cully, Tuck, Abel, Eberly, Will 13. Nigel 12. Orval, Jack 11. Abraham, Zane, Ty, Randy 10. Brody 9. Sky, Yanni, Vince, Luke, Hank, Xavi 8. Chase, Matt, Cole 7. Andre, Godwin, Greg, Carter, Estes, Seamus 6. Michael, Caleb, Inky, Kent 5. Bartholomew, Raisin Annie, Scott, Casper, Hansel & Johann, Wats 4. Pip, Max, Little John 3. Erik, Sheldon, Alvin, Ashár, Henry 2. Edward, Clark, Zeb 1. Adam <1
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:21 am
Blog: View Blog (40)

Postby SOHank » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:09 am

SF has one known as "the man". We know very little about him. Until recently he presented as an amalgamation of anyone that has hurt SF in the past. However, after a confrontation in session with her T, that shattered into the individuals it was composed of. Later we found out that what shattered was the mask(s) "the man" was using. Current sessions have frequently been working through internally talking to each one to come to a point of resolution.

Besides that, AJ borrowed her name from a couple strong teachers she saw growing up.
Married to SunflowerGals
SOHank
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 am

Postby subversiverisks » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:59 pm

"Amalgamation of several women"

I think this is a good thoughts to process here, this is some of the communication probably has helped you will co con, during discovery might need more, this is called increasing co con .....Talk to your therapist might not happen for a while yet if in first phase.

I think just a convo to thank them for not getting so angry if you do use the 'names' is what you should reiterate with ongoin negotiate and wellness ideas.

Personally, thought I just expose them whenever I need to reintroduce you are being this and that . Then I take them when ready to each of my homes and tel them you probably done this or that in our environment over the years protected by such and such for what ever reason.
subversiverisks
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 am

Postby Exploring » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies!

SOHank wrote:SF has one known as "the man". We know very little about him. Until recently he presented as an amalgamation of anyone that has hurt SF in the past. However, after a confrontation in session with her T, that shattered into the individuals it was composed of. Later we found out that what shattered was the mask(s) "the man" was using.

That is really interesting! Thank you for sharing!
Exploring
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:21 am

Postby BDC66 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:31 pm

i have one modeled after a classmate from grade, middle and junior high school. The last time i saw him was eighth grade. My alter is still 14.
BDC66
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 am

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post