Our partner

Does anyone have trouble reading?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Does anyone have trouble reading?

Postby Ponyta » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Like not sure if this has to due with DID or not.....but for years we've been having problems with reading. Not being able to remember what we read seconds after reading it....etc.

Well one of the main concerning things is that we often see a word as something entirely different all together. Like....for example... if the word is excellent. We will instead think the word says exercise or something else that starts with an E. Not even ANYWHERE close to what the word actually is. Plus it's not just for a second either.....we can reread the text over and over again and still see that word. Then it might change all of a sudden....or it's not until someone else points out that it says something entirely different....until we're able to see it. One time we had the problem where the text never changed to us....despite being told otherwise. That is very concerning. This also is traced way back to when we were in school. We hated to have to read out loud because of that. At first it only happened every once in a while. Now it has been happening at least once EVERY day. :(

Also we miss words at times. Like for example: If the sentence is do not put the bag on the table. We see it as put the bag on the table. We had this problem way back....even when we were still in school. Got a lot of test answers wrong because of that.....etc. Plus just like the above mentioned issue....we can reread the same text over and over again and still read it wrong. It's ridiculous to us.

Just wondering if anyone else has problems with that......Or is it just us?
Body:(Female-27)

Protectors: Weirdo (Male-28), Wolverine (Male-30), Blaze(Male-24), Brian (Male-28)
Mary, Blue, Melody, Maggie, Larry, Taz,Romeo, Electro, Nightcrawler, Bruiser, Punisher, Freedom, Isabelle, Andrew, David, Bowser, TJ, Jessie, James, Jack, Giovanni, Yondu, Scar, Rose, Angelica, Bandit, Mystique, Tom, Marco, Iggy, Rhino, Steve, Matt, Plus more....
Ponyta
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Does anyone have trouble reading?

Postby NyxX » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 pm

We are dyslexic so that probably has a significant impact on this answer. Below is a link for associated behaviour and traits for people with dyslexia of the 8 listed under the reading and visual section we have 7 (yay us.)

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia ... -37-signs/

So yes we experience much of what you discribe. The substitutions and omissions is a dyslexic trait and no amount of pointing out what I should be seeing will change it. It might magically fix itself it might not.

The not being able to remember what we have read we tend to put down to how dissociative we are because our memory gets worse when it does.

-- Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:56 pm --

There was a link at the bottom of the page for adults so now I feel dumb

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia ... -dyslexia/

-- Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 pm --

The adult link doesn't mention mixing up words
nyx-usual poster
Nixie, The Pixie, Big ZuZu, Z, backup-known active alters
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 am

Postby lizisace » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:15 pm

hii, I can't tell you whether this is DID related or not, but I do recognize everything you just said. I struggle with this a lot too. For me it's usually in the form of reading completely different words. and also in the way you just explained, so sometimes it will change after reading it for the second time, but other times it just stays the same, which is very confusing. And the skipping over a couple of key words in sentences is also a big struggle for me.

I also struggle a lot with not being able to read texts in general. so i will get the forgetting thing you mentioned, or it will happen by my head getting fuzzy and just being unable to focus on texts, which happens to me a lot in school. For me it helps to highlight everything i read. it does take a bit more time, and all your books etc will look a bit too colourful, but it does help to focus on all the words and to remember them a bit better.

Also, i don't have dyslexia, or at least i don't think i do. When i was younger i was always very good at reading and writing, so i never really thought about having it. the reading problems i have now only started to show up over the past couple of years, and i feel like they are still getting worse. i have looked into dyslexia but i don't want to selfdiagnose and i also don't really identify with most of the traits etc. so idk, what it is. i have a very strong gut feeling that it's something dissociative, since it tends to be so much worse when i try to read old journal entries that aren't 'mine', which would then link to denial. but idk for sure since i still very new to this and haven't figured out a lot of stuff, but this is just my experience with it..
lizisace
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:28 am

Postby NyxX » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:24 pm

If highlighting helps you to read getting a an overly or glasses would probably help you. The overly is a translucent sheet of plastic with your preferred tint. And my reading glasses have the same prescription as my outside ones but have a 50/50 blue green tint which is my preferred colour. If I remember correctly the colour you use doesn't really matter it was specifically black text on white background that causes the most visual stress. And almost everything ever is black on white.
nyx-usual poster
Nixie, The Pixie, Big ZuZu, Z, backup-known active alters
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 am

Postby VioletFlux » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:37 pm

We've experienced everything you described, Ponyta. It hasn't been to a degree that it's debilitating or whatever for us... but it's definitely caused some problems now and then. On tests, or with work stuff.
Most Active: Violet aka V2 (16); Melissa (7); Viola (17); Rebecca (∞);
L---- (14); Protectors: Charlie (6); Mike (35); Littles: Arin (6); Janet (4);
Body: 49f; Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.
Our Journey Thread - The whole Flux System
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Postby KawaiiKitty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Nyaaaa I get distracted easily n that makes it hard to read but I n we have experienced everything you said
Jo
Currently knowns: J(host/original)
Infants: Moirai
Littles: May, Joy, Sammy, Hope, Alliyah, Morgana, Callia, Adelise, Alice
Teens:Kay, Emma, Hans, Zed, Noelette
Adults:Jarette, Jessica, Elizabeth, Pudding, Aphrodite, Musica, Nadia, Cam, Summer, Jo, Adele, Ellie, Hattie
KawaiiKitty
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Postby Ponyta » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:57 am

Thank you ALL so much for your responses! We greatly appreciate them! :D

Sorry to hear all of you struggle with the same issues. :( It helps us feel better knowing we aren't alone though. So thanks again for your replies!

NyxX wrote:We are dyslexic so that probably has a significant impact on this answer. Below is a link for associated behaviour and traits for people with dyslexia of the 8 listed under the reading and visual section we have 7 (yay us.)

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia ... -37-signs/

So yes we experience much of what you discribe. The substitutions and omissions is a dyslexic trait and no amount of pointing out what I should be seeing will change it. It might magically fix itself it might not.

The not being able to remember what we have read we tend to put down to how dissociative we are because our memory gets worse when it does.

-- Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:56 pm --

There was a link at the bottom of the page for adults so now I feel dumb

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia ... -dyslexia/

-- Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 pm --

The adult link doesn't mention mixing up words

Thank you so much for the information! We greatly appreciate it! :D

Please don't feel dumb. You're NOT. Both of the links were extremely helpful to us. We never thought about being dyslexic before.....but wow......what that website said really sounds like me and a bunch of the others. I mean....myself....I have A LOT on that list (in each category even). I know Weirdo and a bunch of the others also have a lot of them.

So we probably are.......we'll have to bring it up to our therapist. We never really mentioned (in detail) about the reading issues to her yet. So we'll have to bring it up.

I wonder why no one ever mentioned about it to us before. I know we were told way back when that we had an unusual pencil grip (in school) but no one ever helped us with it then. (We had a lot of the symptoms back then.....they seem to be much worse now though.) :(

Protectors: Weirdo (Male-28), Wolverine (Male-30), Blaze(Male-24), Brian (Male-28)
Mary, Blue, Melody, Maggie, Larry, Taz,Romeo, Electro, Nightcrawler, Bruiser, Punisher, Freedom, Isabelle, Andrew, David, Bowser, TJ, Jessie, James, Jack, Giovanni, Yondu, Scar, Rose, Angelica, Bandit, Mystique, Tom, Marco, Iggy, Rhino, Steve, Matt, Plus more....
Ponyta
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby IainEtc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:30 am

Hi,

We have trouble reading but it's not always the same trouble.

When Host used to try to read books about DID he dissociated and couldn't remember them. He'd read the first chapter like about 6 times and never get to the next one because stuff fell out of his head.

I have trouble reading sometimes because I kind of have a learning disability so it's hard for me to read a whole book or anything long like that. I like writing though which I guess is weird. But what the means is when I'm out then reading a novel or something long is kind of hard.

Evan sometimes freaks because he doesn't understand what he's reading because he's only 7. He thinks he's going to get punished for failing (like the really bad stuff before) and gets upset. Then the system is messed up for a while.

Morgan reads the best but then he goes back up in the head somewhere and forgets to give us the information because he's thinking so hard about it (plus he reads really boring books).

It's different stuff.

Iain
Iain - 14, Colin - 17, Evan - 7, Cody - 16, Raven, Host - the adult out front

When they say 'be yourself',
which one do they mean?
IainEtc
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby subversiverisks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:47 pm

I'd check an unaware aware. For example,, If you all read the sentence as put the bag on the table, then it doesn't get put on the table. Personally this is what we do. Is the presence 'we' enough of a cue for the several of you's guys to watch more intently with blinks and anything else in the environment to get it done properly. The sum of my parts has good reference material for gently shifting in the mind. So we literally go a.word.doesn't.me.anything. if isn't reborn to thyselves. Right down to the prounounciation if has babies (so I've heard). It will take years usually for me it has taken several years to perfect it and now actually live it.
subversiverisks
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Ponyta » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:36 am

Thank you subversiverisks and IainEtc for your reply. I greatly appreciate it! :)

IainEtc wrote:
When Host used to try to read books about DID he dissociated and couldn't remember them. He'd read the first chapter like about 6 times and never get to the next one because stuff fell out of his head.

Iain

That sounds like me. I used to be able to read fine in my mind at first (only problems trying to read out loud)....but nowadays even reading in my mind has issues. I can read a sentence one second and forget what I read the next. Very frustrating.....especially when trying to read a book.

Also like you mentioned....there is one of us who seems to read the best (Nightcrawler).....but he often goes someplace else and isolates himself from us.....not sure what is up with that.....I guess that's just the way he is.

Ponyta
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post