Our partner

Could it be the effects of Menopause on my Autism/DID?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Could it be the effects of Menopause on my Autism/DID?

Postby KitMcDaydream » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi

I'm back after trying a group for adults with PDA (Pathological Demand Avoidance - a subtype of Autism), for further research, thinking my 'alters' were a result of trying to avoid responsibilities in life but no one else there has 'alters' or has spent their life being different alters to cope with stuff they had to do ie go to work. Most were adults with kids with PDA and the kids had violent tantrums when confronted with demands (ie to get dressed/go to school) etc

I know I definitely wasn't like that as a child. I was very passive, shy couldn't speak in public and struggled to do things when people were watching unless I was doing it 'in character'.

I had extreme sound sensitivities to the point of having to become a deaf persona to cope with life, college, work. No-one else knew anyone who had to live like this to this extreme to cope with life. So I'm confused as to where I/we fit in?

Whether I (Kit) am controlling Maddie, Thea, Sioux or 'the system' is just working out what I need at this point and is giving me what I need (more time to function as Kit in order to work out who I am)?

I read about how the menopause causes anxiety in regular (ie non autistic) women and create a 'mid-life crisis' in them , so could my recent confusion and issues over this last year be a result of the stress caused by menopause on top of the chronic anxiety I have from the autism and trying to deal with the world be the cause?

(I am having other menopause symptoms too such as the night sweats and periods starting to go irregular, I'll be 50 next year)

I felt I was moving forwards with my new persona/alter to who I wanted to be after 50 and was in control of it but maybe 'the system' is just giving me what it feels I need to get through this? (..instructing the other alters to go dormant for a while until I figure it out?)

So just wondering any other older females having problems, confusion etc and found that going through the menopause was causing some of it? (eg the severe mood swings causing conflict between alters etc or feeling you're not sure who you are anymore etc?)

Thanks

Kit
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Could it be the effects of Menopause on my Autism/DID?

Postby ItsJustUs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm

We're not in menopause yet. But it makes sense that it could definitely be causing issues for you, or making certain issues worse. Menopause is a shifting of hormones. And for our system, hormone shifts definitely affect things.

Examlple: When the body is ovulating, Val tends to get anxious, unsettled and a bit irritable. Everyone else is fine. But, when we're pre-menstural, Britney goes ... well, crazy. She's picking fights, she gets insecure and depressed.

So, knowing that our system is strongly affected by hormone shifts, it makes sense that menopause would definitely be a trigger for chaos in a system.

K
Kitten 39F-Core, Delilah (age unknown)F- Protector/System Manager/Care Taker, Britney 17F- Former persecutor turned protector, Lilly 5.5F, Little Wolf (young, but age unknown) "job" unknown, Val- age unknown, Female entity, we think she is a protector
ItsJustUs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 pm

Postby myce » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:01 pm

I have some symptoms of menopause like night sweats, but haven't noticed a difference in my moods. However, normal cycles can sometimes highlight or exaggerate feelings of depression/irritability for me.
Last edited by myce on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OSDD self-dx
42f
myce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MakersDozn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:02 pm

We can't speak to the ASD part of it, but we've been through menopause, and it's horrible. Hormones a'flyin', terrible, terrible mood swings, hot flashes....and this stuff doesn't stop when your cycle does and menopause is supposedly "finished." We had our last period in February 2015 and have gone through horrible hormone and mood swings during the latter part of this year.

Sorry to be a downer, but yes, the effect of menopause on other conditions is clear.

MDs
Multiple. Self-dxed 1996. Body 56f, no host or original. System of 47: 42 females, five males; 17 littles (7+under), nine middles (8-11), 14 teens (12-17+), five bigs (18+older), + a formless yin/yang duo. Oldest member is 25.

Frequent: Charity (25), Mary (23), Laura (17.5), Allegra (17), Cass (17)
Blog | Our Story | Journey
MakersDozn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:00 am

Postby KitMcDaydream » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:19 pm

Thanks for your answers.

TBH it never occurred to me until I watched a program about the Menopause on BBC2 last week and they mentioned the severe anxiety it could cause in 'normal circumstances'.

Then I found an article on the 'mid life crisis' that could be also triggered by Menopause symptoms and signs of that, which also mentioned the intensity of searching for who you are and I thought if it can cause such severe symptoms for people considered on the 'normal spectrum' what kind of effect would these things have on someone who already has severe anxiety over just normal everyday things and other mental health issues?

So it could be possible for it to intensify mood swings, anxieties to the point it appeared to cause a regression/relapse of a condition/state of mind that had been stable for a number of years up to that point?

The menopause sounds awful from your description MD! How many years has it gone on for, for you in total?
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby MakersDozn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:25 pm

It probably took a couple of years before our cycle stopped when we were 53. But we started getting migraines in our mid-40s, and we still have mood swings and hot flashes now at 56. So it's not like everything happened in a specific time frame.

Being a hormone-free robot sounds appealing right now. :?

MDs
Multiple. Self-dxed 1996. Body 56f, no host or original. System of 47: 42 females, five males; 17 littles (7+under), nine middles (8-11), 14 teens (12-17+), five bigs (18+older), + a formless yin/yang duo. Oldest member is 25.

Frequent: Charity (25), Mary (23), Laura (17.5), Allegra (17), Cass (17)
Blog | Our Story | Journey
MakersDozn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:00 am

Postby KitMcDaydream » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 pm

MakersDozn wrote:It probably took a couple of years before our cycle stopped when we were 53. But we started getting migraines in our mid-40s, and we still have mood swings and hot flashes now at 56. So it's not like everything happened in a specific time frame.

Being a hormone-free robot sounds appealing right now. :?

MDs

Looks like I've got a good few years of it yet then! :shock: :oops: lol! I always wanted to be a Vulcan! :D (The original Kit is a bit of a Trekkie!)

I have also had severe migraines and neuralgia pains (usually down one side) never thought about Menopause was thinking my thyroid levels maybe too low as the fatigue is usually crippling around the same time and it makes my Tinnitus on that side really bad and louder than usual.

Looking back my symptoms started a couple of years back more mildly and infrequently but this last year I have been having a really hard time with my emotions/mood swings in particular and my monthly cycle being more erratic skipping some months then 2 in 1 month sometimes.

Also previous strategies to cope with my 'sensory sensitivities' (ie having to go out in crowds and certain sounds due to the autism) haven't been working as well so don't go out anymore other than to walk the dog at quietest times of day when no-one else is about (I live rurally so its like a ghost town once everyone's gone to school/work or very early at weekends/bank hols)

To add insult to injury just as we've been making real physical progress over the summer, the arthritis symptoms are now flaring up with the damp wet and freezing weather! ..back to swollen fingers, stiff back and dodgy knees! ..till at least next March I reckon! :(

I'll just keep telling myself 'at least I know what it is now'
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post