Our partner

Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Postby oldsoulvocalist » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to all of this, so I'm still going to be using language that's pretty singular in nature, as I'm still navigating having a system, comfortably presenting myself as such, and the like.

Anyway, I've struggled a great deal with mental health throughout my life, I've been diagnosed with about a dozen mental illnesses (pretty much none of them were accurate or helpful, especially not in conjunction with each other). After many years of questioning what I've heard from external sources, I spent a solid year invested in research, introspection, and self-discovery. I spent a big part of my time looking through the lens of C-PTSD in relation to my mental health, as that seemed closest to my experience. Recently (as in the past few months), I've spent time investigating the "fragmented sense of self" associated with it. I looked into my past very intently, as well as observing my behavior and actions throughout this year or so, and I found a lot of things I couldn't explain with the knowledge that I had. I had lapses in memory, clear times when I'd dissociated into amnesic states and come back into consciousness to find things changed in ways that I thought I could never change them. The more I looked into my past, the more I found that I didn't have an explanation for that resonated with me, but it made me more curious.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I started really getting interested in DID and learning about it, as an ex of mine in the past had it. I got into researching it, and as soon as I looked into the different types of alters, I realized that I could connect many of those archetypes to different experiences I'd had (on account of other people, or after switching back as a host). There were tons of symptoms that were previously explained by other diagnoses I had that never felt quite right before. But it all made sense, and I started crying. Of course, I wasn't in contact with alters at this point, past the recollection of these distinct times and memories I had of immediately before or immediately after not being present (or of accounts of others of those times that I had in my memory).

But I found something that made sense to me! And so I kept digging, researching. I found some resources on contacting suspected alters or interacting with potential systems. I utilized some of them, and since, I've had some very clear accounts of meeting several alters of mine. The first is a little (that funnily enough was known by my family for 2 years when I was younger, because I called myself by his name when I was around 4-6 years old). Then, there was a night where about 10 more wrote notes to me and told me about my system, gave me a look into a part of my inner world (not all of it, which I assume is because there are things that my system wants to wait to let me know). But they made it VERY clear that I wasn't imagining all of this and that it's all real.

Anyway, I don't know a lot of things about my system yet, like for example, what type of system I am (DID, OSDD1b, etc.), what my system wants to be called, how I want to go about pronouns, specific things about alters, etc.. Eventually I'd like to seek a diagnosis, but for the time being, I'm spending my time being with what I know and holding space so that more will be revealed (and for my alters to feel safe presenting themselves).

I just wanted to check in, but for now, signing off.
- Tyler (Host) (with input from Tyson (Protector), and an unidentified alter)
Official dx: C-PTSD, ASD, several others that I don't identify with
Suspected dx: DDNOS

Body and/or Host - Tyler (?) (20)
Protectors - Tyson, Alex, Elizabeth, others
Littles - Jason (~5), Elleht (~3), others
Multiple subsystems (10a, The Internet)
Many alters, subsystems unnamed or host-named until identified
oldsoulvocalist
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Postby ItsJustUs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi. Welcome.

It's a crazy roller coaster when you first realize what's going on, that's for sure. This place is great to share experiences, ask questions, and learn how others deal with certain things.

I wouldn't stress about labels too much right now. Just know that you are who/what you are and that's ok.

I must say, you seem pretty calm like "Okay, it is what it is," about all of this. So kuddos for that. It's a step that takes some people a long time to get to.

K
Kitten 39F-Core, Delilah (age unknown)F- Protector/System Manager/Care Taker, Britney 17F- Former persecutor turned protector, Lilly 5.5F, Little Wolf (young, but age unknown) "job" unknown, Val- age unknown, Female entity, we think she is a protector
ItsJustUs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Postby IainEtc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. It's really safe here.

Iain
Iain - 14, Colin - 17, Evan - 7, Cody - 16, Raven, Host - the adult out front

When they say 'be yourself',
which one do they mean?
IainEtc
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby KawaiiKitty » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:40 am

Welcome!!!

J
Currently knowns: J(host/original)
Infants: Moirai
Littles: May, Joy, Sammy, Hope, Alliyah, Morgana, Callia, Adelise, Alice
Teens:Kay, Emma, Hans, Zed, Noelette
Adults:Jarette, Jessica, Elizabeth, Pudding, Aphrodite, Musica, Nadia, Cam, Summer, Jo, Adele, Ellie, Hattie
KawaiiKitty
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:12 am

Postby oldsoulvocalist » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:04 am

ItsJustUs wrote:
I must say, you seem pretty calm like "Okay, it is what it is," about all of this. So kuddos for that. It's a step that takes some people a long time to get to.

K[/color]

I've been in the process of understanding myself and coming to terms with my existence through the lens of mental health for a long time, and it's been a strenuous process (especially with the grocery list of misdiagnoses I've had), but doing this work as much as I already have in terms of working with trauma and understanding myself has made adjusting and accepting this as a part of myself and my life much easier. Of course, it's a series of big adjustments to make to learn to accept dissociative identity as a part of my life, but it's much easier at this point in my process to understand and be willing to accept it all, and so far it's been really positive. Being exposed to the communities of people with DID online (and also having an ex and an old friend with DID) really helped me, as well.

------

Also, thank you to all of you who have commented (and will likely comment in the future) for the support and kindness. It feels wonderful to feel so welcome and understood. I'll probably be off of the internet in the near future, so I may not be able to respond to all of you soon. With that being said, I want to thank you all.
Official dx: C-PTSD, ASD, several others that I don't identify with
Suspected dx: DDNOS

Body and/or Host - Tyler (?) (20)
Protectors - Tyson, Alex, Elizabeth, others
Littles - Jason (~5), Elleht (~3), others
Multiple subsystems (10a, The Internet)
Many alters, subsystems unnamed or host-named until identified
oldsoulvocalist
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby theparrotflock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:43 am

Hi Tyler, Tyson, et al.!

Don't worry about switching (so to speak) between singular and plural ways of speaking. If someone here is confused about who's talking, we'll just ask. You just talk about yourselves in whatever way feels most natural and comfortable.

I think it's alright to adjust to the idea of DID in whatever way you find most constructive. When I was first coming to terms with the idea that I was "multiple" (labeling it DID was still a few years in the future), I meditated on a song that went "How could I come to the end of me / and somehow still I have all I need?"

Keep doing what you're doing now in terms of doing research and seeking support! You're great!

- Kat
theparrotflock
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Postby AThousandLetters » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 am

Yooo, nice to meet you and welcome! I'm new here as well, and it's nice to see other new systems posting here. :D
I can see you in my head again.

DID/PTSD, autism.
Body is in late 20s. 22 confirmed alters of all ages.
AThousandLetters
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Ponyta » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:11 am

Welcome to the forum! :)
Body:(Female-27)

Protectors: Weirdo (Male-28), Wolverine (Male-30), Blaze(Male-24), Brian (Male-28)
Mary, Blue, Melody, Maggie, Larry, Taz,Romeo, Electro, Nightcrawler, Bruiser, Punisher, Freedom, Isabelle, Andrew, David, Bowser, TJ, Jessie, James, Jack, Giovanni, Yondu, Scar, Rose, Angelica, Bandit, Mystique, Tom, Marco, Iggy, Rhino, Steve, Matt, Plus more....
Ponyta
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Postby Floralie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi and welcome!

The difference between DID and OSDD 1b -system is amnesia. In DID there is amnesia between parts and in OSDD 1b host is always aware of what happens and what the body does. There is also OSDD 1a, which is rarely mentioned for some reason, it's when you do have amnesia between parts, but parts are not fully separate persons from you, but different versions of you (sad you, angry you, little you etc.). In DID and in OSDD 1b parts, or some of the parts, are clearly different from the host or from the body. For example I'm a female on my 40s, (at least my body is..) but I have several parts that are teen boys and interested in things I am not, and it tells it can't be OSDD 1a in my case. You have amnesia, so it can't be OSDD 1b in your case, it's either DID or OSDD 1a depending on how the other parts are like.

In reality diagnosis does not matter, and officially you can't diagnose yourself anyway, so it's not important to know the exact name, although it can be interesting and it may feel important. It's understandable to want to have a name for your condition. All of them (OSDDs and DID) are pretty much the same thing, caused by early childhood trauma and treatment is the same, and that is why it doesn't matter to have a name for it. What matters is to have right kind of treatment.
Last edited by Floralie on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floralie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:12 am

Postby VioletFlux » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum!
Most Active: Violet aka V2 (16); Melissa (7); Viola (17); Rebecca (∞);
L---- (14); Protectors: Charlie (6); Mike (35); Littles: Arin (6); Janet (4);
Body: 49f; Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.
Our Journey Thread - The whole Flux System
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post