Our partner

Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Re: Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Postby KitMcDaydream » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Hello

Welcome to the forum. Can I just ask is your ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder or do you mean Anti Social (personality) Disorder?
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Postby oldsoulvocalist » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm

KitMcDaydream wrote:Hello

Welcome to the forum. Can I just ask is your ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder or do you mean Anti Social (personality) Disorder?


I mean ASD as in autism. I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS around 2 years old, but I know that the terminology has changed. I also appreciate you wanting to distinguish from ASPD and asking for clarification! So far, DID (or a related disorder of dissociative identity) is the only diagnosis that I have yet to receive that I currently identify with, and I haven't been diagnosed with ASPD or any other personality disorders.
Official dx: C-PTSD, ASD, several others that I don't identify with
Suspected dx: DDNOS

Body and/or Host - Tyler (?) (20)
Protectors - Tyson, Alex, Elizabeth, others
Littles - Jason (~5), Elleht (~3), others
Multiple subsystems (10a, The Internet)
Many alters, subsystems unnamed or host-named until identified
oldsoulvocalist
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:38 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Postby KitMcDaydream » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:40 am

oldsoulvocalist wrote:
KitMcDaydream wrote:Hello

Welcome to the forum. Can I just ask is your ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder or do you mean Anti Social (personality) Disorder?


I mean ASD as in autism. I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS around 2 years old, but I know that the terminology has changed. I also appreciate you wanting to distinguish from ASPD and asking for clarification! So far, DID (or a related disorder of dissociative identity) is the only diagnosis that I have yet to receive that I currently identify with, and I haven't been diagnosed with ASPD or any other personality disorders.


I was just curious as I also have Autism and when I first came on here someone else confused the term ASD for anti social personality, so I thought it must mean something different on here! When I was diagnosed years ago you either got the diagnosis Autism or Asperger's. I realise they've changed the terminology to just include them on one spectrum now.

I haven't met anyone else with both Autism and DID, but would just like to say that your Autism will impact how your DID presents too and so you might not fit any typical description (of DID) completely, I know I don't!

The closest mine mimics is OSDD1b and you can also present as different versions of yourself in that too (It's rarer I think in the general DID population but for someone autistic whose focus is usually mostly on themselves more, it's actually probably more likely)

I have had 'personas' as I used to call them (never knowing DID existed and the correct terminology until recently) from childhood. When very young they switched more often, once I hit my teens one stayed 'up front' dealing with daily demands of life for the next 15yrs. We never knew I had DID just thought I'd finally grown out of imaginery friends.

In my mid 30's another took over for about another 15yrs. Then others started coming out more causing confusion for me for a long while as mine all had very different levels of ability.

Another new one has emerged as I enter my 50's ready to deal with the next part of my life, but it's causing alot of conflict with people who 'knew me' as my past persona, to them I've had a complete personality change twice in the years they've known me now and my current persona/alter has no interest in maintaining relationships with them. They know I have Autism but don't know about DID. I don't feel its something I feel comfortable telling anyone, my neighbours here don't even know I have Autism.

I 'mask' (hide) my mental health issues with physical conditions instead which seem to be more readily accepted by the community. Chronic fatigue and high pain levels seem more a more acceptable reason for them that I often can't take part. Been deaf as is more acceptable than having some mental illness/learning disability that means you can't tolerate many sounds and struggle to make sense of what people are saying to join in conversations easily. This is the only 'alter' the outside world see's.
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Postby sleepingwolf » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here, I'm sure you'll find it a great place!

:D :D :D

Good luck with your journey!

Zelda - One in the Albion System
The Albion System - 76 Tribal members
11 Co-Hosts
A bunch of Littles
A few pure Warriors
A load of amazing guys...
User avatar
sleepingwolf
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Postby oldsoulvocalist » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:33 pm

KitMcDaydream wrote:
I was just curious as I also have Autism and when I first came on here someone else confused the term ASD for anti social personality, so I thought it must mean something different on here! When I was diagnosed years ago you either got the diagnosis Autism or Asperger's. I realise they've changed the terminology to just include them on one spectrum now.

I haven't met anyone else with both Autism and DID, but would just like to say that your Autism will impact how your DID presents too and so you might not fit any typical description (of DID) completely, I know I don't!

The closest mine mimics is OSDD1b and you can also present as different versions of yourself in that too (It's rarer I think in the general DID population but for someone autistic whose focus is usually mostly on themselves more, it's actually probably more likely)

I have had 'personas' as I used to call them (never knowing DID existed and the correct terminology until recently) from childhood. When very young they switched more often, once I hit my teens one stayed 'up front' dealing with daily demands of life for the next 15yrs. We never knew I had DID just thought I'd finally grown out of imaginery friends.

In my mid 30's another took over for about another 15yrs. Then others started coming out more causing confusion for me for a long while as mine all had very different levels of ability.

Another new one has emerged as I enter my 50's ready to deal with the next part of my life, but it's causing alot of conflict with people who 'knew me' as my past persona, to them I've had a complete personality change twice in the years they've known me now and my current persona/alter has no interest in maintaining relationships with them. They know I have Autism but don't know about DID. I don't feel its something I feel comfortable telling anyone, my neighbours here don't even know I have Autism.

I 'mask' (hide) my mental health issues with physical conditions instead which seem to be more readily accepted by the community. Chronic fatigue and high pain levels seem more a more acceptable reason for them that I often can't take part. Been deaf as is more acceptable than having some mental illness/learning disability that means you can't tolerate many sounds and struggle to make sense of what people are saying to join in conversations easily. This is the only 'alter' the outside world see's.


I didn't realize that connecting with both past versions of yourself AND having distinct, non-body "self" alters was characteristic of autism, but I absolutely experience both. I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced the difficulty that you have, and I'm fortunate to people like you for helping the rest of us navigate our lives a little more easily. My body's currently 20, and so I have a good amount of time to sort out what's left of the work I've been doing for myself, but I definitely share in plenty of these sentiments, and I'm glad that you can identify in someone like me, and that I can be of service to you in that way. I appreciate you reaching out!
Official dx: C-PTSD, ASD, several others that I don't identify with
Suspected dx: DDNOS

Body and/or Host - Tyler (?) (20)
Protectors - Tyson, Alex, Elizabeth, others
Littles - Jason (~5), Elleht (~3), others
Multiple subsystems (10a, The Internet)
Many alters, subsystems unnamed or host-named until identified
oldsoulvocalist
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:38 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hello! From A Newly Discovered System

Postby KitMcDaydream » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 am

oldsoulvocalist wrote:
KitMcDaydream wrote:

I didn't realize that connecting with both past versions of yourself AND having distinct, non-body "self" alters was characteristic of autism, but I absolutely experience both. I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced the difficulty that you have, and I'm fortunate to people like you for helping the rest of us navigate our lives a little more easily. My body's currently 20, and so I have a good amount of time to sort out what's left of the work I've been doing for myself, but I definitely share in plenty of these sentiments, and I'm glad that you can identify in someone like me, and that I can be of service to you in that way. I appreciate you reaching out!


I'm not sure that part is the autism on its own strictly speaking but it's hard to know as most of the other autistic people I had met or worked with had severe learning disabilities and/or were non verbal and unable to explain anything like this.

Have you read Donna Williams's early autobiographies?..'Nobody Nowhere' and Somebody Somewhere'? She explains her system well in her autiobiographies. She has also explained how DID impacts her Autism on her website.. Sadly she passed away, but her site is still up to read her blogs. It may also help you understand more.

This is really interesting one where Donna Williams interviews another lady called Jennifer (who also has both) and they discuss the different ways that it impacts them.

https://blog.donnawilliams.net/2012/06/ ... versation/
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 pm
Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KawaiiKitty, littleDaria, Majestic-12 [Bot], MakersDozn, NyxX and 49 guests