Our partner

Assessment coming up

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Assessment coming up

Postby Baldanders » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 pm

I have an assessment scheduled for next Wednesday with a psychologist who I was told has knowledge and experience with DID and dissociative disorders.
Most of the time I get an “assessment,” it goes like this: they ask me why I’m there and I try to explain, but I keep dissociating and they don’t give me enough time, don’t listen to me, and take up time talking about themselves.
I am afraid that this assessment will be the same.
May I have some reassurance? What has helped you all?
Official dx: DDNOS, BPD
Suspected dx: C-PTSD
Baldanders
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Assessment coming up

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 pm

What helps me is writing everything down that I want to say, and bringing it with me. Then you can ask the psychologist to read it and ask you questions based on that.

It’s odd that you’ve had Ts not listen and take up time talking about themselves, unless they were trying to give you information about them so you could decide if you wanted to work with them.

Still, listening is a key skill. I wouldn’t return to someone if I felt like they weren’t committed to listening and trying to understand me.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 am

Re: Assessment coming up

Postby fireheart » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 am

The first sessions are mainly to get to know each other. You don't have to be able to perfectly tell your story. Maybe it would help if you could write down some key-points?
It depends on the T, but in my experience they are OK with reading something you wrote.
You can also "take a step back" and talk about your difficulties with talking about something, for example saying something like: "I tend to struggle with dissociation a lot when I try to talk about what I struggle with." or: "Talking is very difficult for me, so I will need you to be extra patient with me."

Good luck!
fireheart
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post