Our partner

SCID-D assessment

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

SCID-D assessment

Postby fireheart » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:07 pm

It is a structured interview. Has anyone on here ever undergone the SCID-D assessment? What is it like?

The reason I'm wondering is because I'm afraid that it may try to trigger dissociation/switches on purpose.
fireheart
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: SCID-D assessment

Postby birdsong87 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:35 pm

sorry, we can't help. We have always been diagnosed based on switching and interaction with the T, not using formal assessment. We wish to do that with the new T if possible. It sounds better than "every T we know thinks we have it"

we have read about it and it is certainly not meant to trigger dissociation or a switch. just asking about it. and Ts trained to do the testing usually pay a lot of attention to the patient to see how they are doing.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby fireheart » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Thank you, this helps a little to try to hold on to the belief that they don't want to hurt me in order to see "what happens".
That's what I thought happened last time I was at that clinic for the intake. I hope the person who will do the assessment will be friendlier. I have a hard time trusting and sharing and talking, so it's going to be challenging anyway. Even with a nice person.

Yes, my T also says she thinks I have it - but with this testing it will be "official" (or maybe, they will determine that T was wrong). Maybe if more people think you have it it feels more real, too. But yeah, there are benefits to having formal test scores.
fireheart
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 am

fireheart wrote:But yeah, there are benefits to having formal test scores.

What are they? I'm genuinely curious, because we haven't had a formal assessment either, and I know that part of me (or parts) would like to see how we would score on something like the SCID-D. But it feels like we would just be doing it for that reason--out of curiosity. I can't imagine it would impact my treatment in any way.

So we don't want it enough to pay someone to do it, I don't think. And that's the only way it would happen unless someone is doing a research study and needs subjects.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Postby fireheart » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 am

TheGangsAllHere wrote:
fireheart wrote:But yeah, there are benefits to having formal test scores.

What are they? I'm genuinely curious, because we haven't had a formal assessment either, and I know that part of me (or parts) would like to see how we would score on something like the SCID-D. But it feels like we would just be doing it for that reason--out of curiosity. I can't imagine it would impact my treatment in any way.

So we don't want it enough to pay someone to do it, I don't think. And that's the only way it would happen unless someone is doing a research study and needs subjects.

I kind of rolled into this testing situation myself. T has been treating me for a dissociative disorder for a long time, but I wanted to complement the treatment with a group. This clinic offers that group, but before you can join they want to do their own diagnostics.

Since T only put C-PTSD on my records, and no formal testing has been conducted previously, the clinic was very sceptical towards me. They basically assumed that I was lying or making things up! Even though T wrote a letter about me and my case. So, one of the benefits of having done formal testing is that if I ever have to switch Ts (for example when she will retire), then I will not have to "convince" them that I am not lying about my struggles and treatment. Also, what if T is wrong? I've been having a lot of doubt recently: what if being believed worsened the dissociation? What if I'm misinterpreting my symptoms?
Hopefully after this I can have more of an answer to those questions.

I also didn't think about getting formally tested by myself. I didn't see how it mattered if I was getting the proper treatment... But being "confronted" about it in the clinic made me feel very vulnerable. Maybe you could ask your T to conduct the SCID-D with you? The assessment in the clinic also uses several other questionnaires. I didn't recognize two out of three, but one was the DES-II.
fireheart
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby birdsong87 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am

I wish we had a formal paper. cause docs in clinics always think we just want attention or they know nothing of DID and think we are faking because the hosts look so normal. and it would make looking for Ts easier. Like when we looked last year someone actually told us she doesn't believe in DID so we can't have it. and we know that any kind of SCID is very popular here and they believe in the title. it is valid dx when Ts or docs dx based on what they see but then we never have anything to show.

I kind of like that the clinic does all the testing. cause... we have run into so many crazy people who want to have DID cause they think it's kind of cool, or who say they created their own alters in their head without needing trauma for that, or people who are doing crazy role playing like they are a system. its totally a trend. and I despise people like that. no #######4 tolerance whatsoever. I wouldn't want to go to a group just to find out that someone there is just pretending and thinking it is fun. I also think that with many tests you get a good picture. we would also like to do the MID and one for somatoform dissociation. the bigs have been reading about different tests lately...
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ariaQuin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 am

I'm sorry, I can't be of any help re the SCID-D because I don't have DID. However, I was initially thought to have it (was also suspected of having schizoaffective disorder) until I was diagnosed with BPD and I did experience the SCID-II (for PDs).

birdsong87 wrote:...cause docs in clinics always think we just want attention or they know nothing of DID and think we are faking because the hosts look so normal. and it would make looking for Ts easier. Like when we looked last year someone actually told us she doesn't believe in DID so we can't have it...

This is terrible but sadly, also very true. x(

The role of the T plays a very important role. Personally, I felt more open to Ts who I feel are not just knowledgable but who also wont judge me prematurely. In my country, the MH system is still developing and PDs aren't that common (or researched on). I've experienced how some symptoms that I raised were ignored just to satisfy their preconceived idea on what I'm going through.

I know that what I did was wrong. But when I was younger, out of my fear of being thrown in an asylum, I would deliberately mislead and disclose wrong information to my T and Drs. when I noticed that they are not really listening to me. Fortunately, I eventually found kind and knowledgeable ones who were then able to give me the proper diagnoses and the appropriate treatment that I really need. But I still pray that more MH practitioners take the time to listen more to their clients and patients.

As someone who also often dissociates and was not taken seriously, I'm really sorry that you're being treated this way too.
ariaQuin
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Postby DerangedNormalcy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:28 pm

birdsong87 wrote:I wish we had a formal paper. cause docs in clinics always think we just want attention or they know nothing of DID and think we are faking because the hosts look so normal.

This happened to us. I work a decent high tech job doing radiation therapy. When I was on pysch, none of the people believed I had alters, let alone DID, because they simply didn't believe in it. They thought I had psychosis from major depression. I cringed every single time they referred to the "voices" as hallucinations. Yes, sure, medically, that's what they are called, but to me, they're not. They're much more than that. None of them would diagnosis me. Finally, I went to see my PCP for a follow up appt and she looked up the DSM and went through some information with me, asked me some questions and she said that I meet the criteria for it and diagnosed me. I started seeing a T not to long after this, and she more or less won't even acknowledge that I have alters. She keeps saying that it's me, and I'm just repressing things. Which in a grand scheme is TRUE but... In order for me to be successful as the host, my alters need to start communicating with the trauma and I don't have those memories. She wants to give me the MMPI, which is a waste of time, and has nothing to do with dissociation. I commented about it on another post of mine with some others, and it's just a tool to diagnose me with something else because my T doesn't believe in DID, which is becoming more and more apparent.

The SCID-D assessment, lasts about an hour and it goes over things that you remember, periods of time loss, dissociation states, etc. It should not lead to a trigger for switching.Even if it does, they are required to keep you there to make sure that you are safe before you leave. So, hopefully that eases your mind about that, should it happen, which it likely won't.
DerangedNormalcy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:23 am

Postby BeccaBee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 am

yes, I was administered the SCID-D. this is how I was diagnosed. it's a structured interview but it won't be tricky or make you dissociative. you just answer questions about your experiences and symptoms.

I highly suggest you take it.

I am a big data and science person. I wouldn't have accepted my diagnosis without the professional assessment.

it is not something to worry about. but a little anxiety is normal.

I could answer more questions or give more info but I don't think it's good to know too much before hand as you risk bias in answering the questions.

it measured 5 dimensions
amnesia
derealization
depersonalization
identity confusion
identity alteration

it's long. I think it took like two or three appointments. but it shouldn't destabilise you. my experience with disclosure, assessment, and diagnosis is in pages 4 & 5 of my journey thread linked below.
Female, 37
Dx: DID, C-PTSD, Panic Disorder

☆~I take Prazosin for nightmares/insomnia and it's a miracle!!~☆

The Team:
post2196064.html?hilit=roster#p2196064
Our Journey:
http://www.psychforums.com/dissociative ... 75383.html
We are me.
BeccaBee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:23 am

Postby fireheart » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks everyone.

I will take the assessment, in fact, it's next week. (!!!!!!!) It's supposed to take about 2.5 hours in one go.

I'm really nervous. We aren't sure which one of us would be best suited to go. After last time (invalidation), a protector wants to go. But she doesn't talk to strangers and is... well, like many protectors. Borderline rude. 8) I don't think I can handle going after last time, because I was supposed to handle it and I couldn't. I know who I WANT to go, but this part seems unreachable. Last I tried I got the sense of: "I've taken care of plenty of things for you, now it's your turn!"

But it's a relief to hear that it seems to be a questionnaire and not more. Not intentionally triggering or asking about trauma in detail.

& yes, I am happy that they do diagnostics before letting you join the group. But I wish they would hold a neutral position rather than assuming the worst (that you are intentionally faking).
fireheart
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post