Our partner

Not feeling listened to

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Johnny-Jack

Not feeling listened to

Postby raptureblues » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:30 am

My therapist, after seeing switches happen in sessions, went to a lot of effort to contact my psychiatric nurse about getting a diagnosis review and extra support sorted for me. Today, my psychiatric nurse phoned me and dismissed every single thing both my therapist and I were trying to resolve. I'm left feeling incredibly abandoned and ignored, and it's painful.

She kept insisting that an hour a week of therapy is plenty of support. She kept saying my "dissociation" is perfectly covered by my BPD diagnosis because "BPD has such a wide variety of symptoms". When I told her I wasn't coping and needed more support, she told me seeing my therapist once a week and her once a month is fine, and that my support worker should be doing more. My support worker isn't a mental health professional and,to be honest, she downright irritates me. My psychiatric nurse also isn't seeing me until September, and our last session was in June, so she's effectively left me in a 3 month gap where only my therapist is helping me.

I tried explaining to my nurse that my symptoms go well beyond BPD, and that my therapist (who has experience with both BPD and DID) and I have spent literal months working on things and narrowing things down before we came to the conclusion that these symptoms are DID-related, but she dismissed it.

I don't know what to do at this point. My therapist can't formally diagnose me, though she can pass her observations on to other people. I can't self-refer to a psychiatrist. At this point I'm going to have to ask my therapist to try my GP instead, but my GP is very stubborn about my diagnosis being reviewed.

I know I'm in the right treatment when it comes to my therapy, and I'm not intending to review meds right now, and my therapist is certain about what's going on now and is helping me, so it's not like a diagnosis review is extremely essential right now, but I still feel really dismayed about this whole situation. I just want my diagnosis to be correct. The complete lack of formal acknowledgment diagnosis-wise of my trauma-related symptoms heavily affects my ability to feel valid about my trauma and anything that ties into it. I just want these symptoms to be acknowledged by more people than just my therapist. I'm scared I'm going to lose her and no-one is going to know what I'm actually dealing with and I'll be too scared to tell them the truth.
alice (18~24, she/her), jones (14~24, he/him), lain (9~14, they/them), charles (32, he/him), bubbles (6, she/her), rose (14, she/her), peter (14, he/him)

journey thread | insiders weekly
raptureblues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Not feeling listened to

Postby NyxX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:37 am

Your in the UK right? I hate the bloody NHS. I've never been given an actual diagnosis by them and I don't think it's likely now I'm in private therapy. The last T I had was through the NHS and I think she was treating me for PTSD because she kept giving me PTSD assessments to fill out. After she started telling me I dissociate to much I found and filled the DES-II she had never heard of it.

If they might stop you seeing your current T I would advise going private if you can afford it. If not at least looking into getting a private diagnosis.
nyx-usual poster
Nixie, The Pixie, Big ZuZu, Z, backup-known active alters
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: Not feeling listened to

Postby raptureblues » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:25 pm

I am, yeah. The NHS is a goddamn nightmare right now. Luckily my therapist isn't under the NHS - she works for a local organisation that offers treatment and takes donations if you can afford to give them. So I'm not in any danger of losing my therapist, I don't need a DID diagnosis for her to keep working with me. It's more that I clearly need more support than just her, she can only see me an hour a week and she hoped my psych nurse would help me out there, and she's very aware that my diagnosis being incorrect harms me in lots of different ways, even if my therapy situation is somewhat stable.

Gonna talk this over with my therapist on Tuesday and hope we can figure something out. Thank you for replying.
alice (18~24, she/her), jones (14~24, he/him), lain (9~14, they/them), charles (32, he/him), bubbles (6, she/her), rose (14, she/her), peter (14, he/him)

journey thread | insiders weekly
raptureblues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post