Our partner

energy crash and exhaustion

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Johnny-Jack

energy crash and exhaustion

Postby BeccaBee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 am

i was wondering how other people experience energy crash and exhaustion. and how normals experience it - if they experience it at all.

managing my "spoons" is a huge part of my self care. one I don't always ace.

this last weekend I took my daughter on an overnight trip to the city and we stayed in a posh hotel. for to celebrate her birthday. I knew I was edging into a hard crash. this usually means I lay in bed and close my eyes and go into some kind of quiet, restful state that isnt exactly sleeping.

what was weird about tonight is I ran out of energy just a little too soon. after unloading groceries and taking the trash bin to the curb - it was so weird. I was in the driveway walking back in and I just started moving slower and slower and kind of slumping a bit - it was just like a wind up toy slowing to a stop. I really had to dig deep to make it in the house. wash my hands and lay down. that's never happened before. it made me a little freaked out. like I almost powered down in the driveway. is there a word for this?
Female, 39
Dx: DID, C-PTSD, TES

We are the Bees

The Rabbit Hole
BeccaBee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: energy crash and exhaustion

Postby NyxX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:56 am

It's happened to us once before years ago we were at work and suddenly felt really drained and couldn't move. Work called an ambulance the woman took my pulse and stuff and told me nothing was wrong and made me feel like an idiot for wasting her time when I didn't even call her.

I used to get really bad exhaustion after anxiety symptoms so shortness of breath, palpitations, dizziness, etc. I remember being told once that you use as much energy having a panic attack as you do running a marathon. I don't know if it's true but it has always felt true to me.

I don't get it as bad since I've been on bata blockers.
nyx-usual poster
Nixie, The Pixie, Big ZuZu, Z, backup-known active alters
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:42 am

Postby birdsong87 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 am

we have that a lot. We usually make it to the bed.
I have been wondering about it a lot. last theory is that it is an adrenalin crash
we have that every time we have T day (it includes hours of traveling)
the weighted blanket helps a little bit.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
Our blog on resources https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:42 am

Postby raptureblues » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 pm

this is a constant problem for me. nearly every day i have some amount of being burned out, it's hard to function and do what i need to do with my day. i don't always finish tasks before the burn out kicks in. i've frequently barely made it inside my flat or only managed half a shower because i didn't have enough energy to finish what i was doing.

i try and recover energy by using work-arounds and keeping my day-to-day as minimal as possible. i order takeaway food when i know i'm too burned out to cook, otherwise i wouldn't eat at all which would be bad. i only use shampoo and body wash if i know a full shower would be impossible to manage. i put comfort films on and lie down in bed all day if it's super bad. eventually i recover from the burn out, but usually i very quickly end up burned out again because as soon as i've recovered some energy, i have to deal with all the tasks that have piled up while i've been too low functioning (cleaning, washing, etc.)

it's exhausting juggling it, i hope it gets easier for you soon.
alice (18~24, she/her), jones (14~24, he/him), lain (9~14, they/them), charles (32, he/him), bubbles (6, she/her), rose (14, she/her), peter (14, he/him)

journey thread | insiders weekly
raptureblues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sarandipity » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 pm

I'm crashing at the moment.

The worst I experienced it was when I went numb down one side of my body and could barely move. I went to the doctor and he said I'd had this weird type of migraine.

I feel like I'm at nervous breakdown limits at the moment. It's the routine disruption. The work. I feel like I need a week or two off. Psychiatric hospital is starting to look really appealing right now even if it is Dr Lobster.

I've been eating ok. Sleeping reasonable. It's literally the routine change - changing my work and my work pattern. I'm praying I'll be able to ride this bit out. I'm 4weeks in to this change and it takes 6 weeks to establish new routine and behaviour change. I'm thinking it might take me slightly longer.

I'm definitely right at a really nasty peak right now. Hoping, praying, wishing that this is the peak, I get over it and relax into my life again. But I do fear I'm gonna end up in hospital.
Monte Carlo or Bust
Rose and Patrick
Batcho and Fortune (twins), Paul and Lilly,
No-one and Peter, Beth and Karen, Mandy and Mouse plus a seperate system of fragments including: rabit and others.
Sarandipity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby SOHank » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:53 pm

The only time I end up with something like that myself is if I’m sick, but think I can “power through”. Still not to the severity level described.

My wife has a few instances where she can get like you describe. 1. She forgets to eat and drink. 2. Low blood sugar. 3. Several days of sleeplessness from bad dreams. 4. She is fighting an insider for control. (We have two that are only allowed out with our T as they pose a significant threat to well being, though I am able to write with them through my wife. Both of which exhaust her.)

If she gets a combo of the above and add in July-August heat, it can be bad.
Married to SunflowerGals
SOHank
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:42 pm

Postby Lightfire » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Years ago I had the same problem. Couldn't stay up to save my life. Finally I took some ginsing then passed out. When I woke up I felt better. Without it sleep really never helped me. Hopefully it'll help you out too.
Crimson: Co-Host/Protector
Azure: Host/Sentinel
We shattered the one way mirror.
Lightfire
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby BeccaBee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:01 pm

this is all food for thought. I will definately research ginseng.

I think, too -- I am starting to connect what makes me "exhausted" and it's when I've had a lot of activities. which I always thought it was the doing stuff but I think it's actually the mental energy of managing the hyperarousal and vigilance while still acting like a normal person. that's what depletes my battery.

they are redoing the inside at work and nervous about it. we have old school grey cubes like office space.

the new fashion though is visibility and open work spaces. I'm pretty sure what we are getting will suck. bastards.

cross that bridge when I get to it. but I really don't know how I will survive.
Female, 39
Dx: DID, C-PTSD, TES

We are the Bees

The Rabbit Hole
BeccaBee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Amythyst » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm sure we've typed something for this thread before but must have deleted it instead of posting...

but yes very much so w/r/t mental energy being exhausting.

Our previous host, when she was dealing with ongoing stress in every direction, would continually be like crashing. Like she'd drive to work and just sit there in the car for 5 minutes trying to muster the energy to go into the office. And more so, driving home after work, she'd end up sitting in the car in the driveway for like 10 or 15 minutes sometimes. Just sitting there unable to muster the energy to get up and go in the house where she could properly collapse.

And it was like 90% about mental energy. Sometimes it was so low, she couldn't even like remember what she was supposed to do. Like "ok, got us home, now what." Like if she'd known we were multiple I think she'd have been waiting for someone else to get the body into the house and onto the sofa or something. Maybe she really was waiting for that to happen even if she didn't know it lol.

I hope whatever they're doing to your work space, it won't be too drastic and you'll be able to manage ok. And hopefully you can figure out some way to manage the mental energy so you don't have the crashes.

V2
Ciara(10f); Em(22f); Teg(6f); Viola(17f); et cetera
Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.(New) Journey Thread
Amythyst
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views