Our partner

New to the forum, hello all

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

New to the forum, hello all

Postby sleepingwolf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Just saying hello, new to the forum and wanted to do a post.

I'm Yanni, an 'alter', one of around 30+ in the Albion System. There are around 10 males, 10 females, a great bunch of littles and a few others too.

It's weird to be doing a post myself, as myself (Yanni). We've been 'being one person' for our whole lives, and this is the first time really we are being our 'alter' selves in public.

I don't like the word 'alter', but I don't have a better word as yet...so it will do.

Anyways, that's me. We'll be trying to post and comment on this forum when we can, hopefully weekly.
The Albion System - 75 Tribal members
12 Co-Hosts
A bunch of Littles
A few pure Warriors
A load of amazing guys...
sleepingwolf
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: New to the forum, hello all

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Welcome, Yanni!

This forum is a great place--we love that we can all be ourselves and it's helped our system communicate a lot better, since we can see what different parts are writing and get a better idea of how we're each thinking and feeling in a different way than when we write in the journal. I don't like the word alter at all--I don't use it. I end up saying parts or people, neither of which feel exactly right, but I haven't been able to come up with something better.

the Gang
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:50 am

Postby myce » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Hello, welcome. I have some hangups around the terms we use too, like "alter" and "host." It's due to misunderstandings that are a result of DID being described from the perspective of the clinician more than the patient. We experience things that are abnormal and confusing so there is not adequate vocabulary to describe them. But the words are understood by everyone so they're useful enough even if they're annoying.

We distinguish "alters" and "fragments," with the alter being a complete persona and the fragment just a piece of a person. But when you're immersed in a "fragment," it is your entire world. The experience between an "alter" and "fragment" is not really different. I think of them as "alternate states of consciousness", sometimes, but not all alters/fragments are distinct states of consciousness. They could be different mental operations (or fragments?) that together create a persona who can change depending on which operations are active. Or alters could operate unconsciously, or seem like living programs or structures without a will of their own. I use the word "parts" to describe anything that could be an alter, fragment, program, structure, etc.
OSDD self-dx
42f
myce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:50 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby VioletFlux » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi Yanni!

We don't use the word 'alter' if we can avoid it. We use 'parts' cos we're all parts in our system. We don't like the word 'host' either but we couldn't think of anything better that was just as short and easy. "usual frontperson' is better but its a mouthful lol. We like the word emcee instead of host, but people might think we're rappers or something lol.

Anyways welcome aboard!

V2
Most Active: Violet aka V2 (16); Melissa (7); Viola (17); Rebecca (∞);
L---- (14); Protectors: Charlie (6); Mike (35); Littles: Arin (6); Janet (4);
Body: 49f; Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.
Our Journey Thread - The whole Flux System
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:50 am

Postby DozensOfDenizens » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:15 am

Some of us use the word "alter," some of us use the word "personality," or "people," but one phrase that an online friend used in casual conversation was that we are all the "denizens of [our] mind" and it kind of stuck for a lot of us. Hence our username:D In a way, it's our system's name for us as individuals~

-Elder

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum!
Our Journey
Our Intros (outdated)

16+ subsystems, 224+ denizens.

We are separate so we may better function as one.
DozensOfDenizens
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:50 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby NyxX » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:40 am

We use alters or parts on here fairly interchangeably because it's more important to clearly express ourselves then to use the terminology we identify with. We likewise use other common terminology.

When talking to each other or to Ozalces we use our names or refer to ourselves as the other me's most frequently.

The forum is useful in providing a venue in which all you your parts can be openly themselves while still minimising exposure and subsequent vulnerability.

Z
nyx-usual poster
Nixie, The Pixie, Big ZuZu, Z, backup-known active alters
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby raptureblues » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:14 am

I used to use "other me(s)" when I was younger before I knew what DID was and never knew anyone else used it, so seeing your comment made me smile, NyxX!

I tend to use "alters" / "parts" / "the others" / "people" pretty interchangeably depending on who I'm talking to. I don't have much of a preference.
Dx: BPD / OCD / MDD / seeking formal DID/OSDD diagnosis

alice (23, f) / jones (23, m) / lain (??, nb) / bubbles (little, f) / werne (little, m)

journey thread + insiders weekly
raptureblues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 am

Postby MakersDozn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:23 am

Ugh. Our first attempt to reply here vanished into cyberspace. :?

Welcome, Yanni. We hope you like it here.

We use terms like "inside people," "inside family," "system members," "headmates," and "others." We strongly dislike the term "alter" and never use it; we also dislike the term "parts," though not as much.

As a Baby Boomer, we're old enough to remember when "alter" meant "someone less real." This perspective is ingrained in us even though other/younger multiples may see it differently. We tolerate "parts" because we know that individual system members are indeed parts of a collective whole, but we prefer to think of ourselves, first and foremost, as individual persons sharing a body and a life.

We've often said that the mainstream world needs to expand its definition of the word "person." "Person" does not equal "body." In matters of law, yes. But in existential matters, no.

MDs
Multiple. Self-dxed 1996. Body 56f, no host or original. System of 47: 42 females, five males; 17 littles (7+under), nine middles (8-11), 14 teens (12-17+), five bigs (18+older), + a formless yin/yang duo. Oldest member is 25.

Frequent: Charity (25), Mary (23), Laura (17.5), Allegra (17), Cass (17)
Blog | Our Story | Journey
MakersDozn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:50 am

Postby DozensOfDenizens » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:42 am

MakersDozn wrote:Ugh. Our first attempt to reply here vanished into cyberspace. :?

Bit of a tangent, but I noticed that if we hit "Preview" instead of "Submit" before sending a message, it usually keeps the message material because it's submitted for future use. I'm not 100% sure if this is the case still because we haven't had any of our posts vanish in a bit, but it's just a little tip:3

-Elder
Our Journey
Our Intros (outdated)

16+ subsystems, 224+ denizens.

We are separate so we may better function as one.
DozensOfDenizens
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:50 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Sarandipity » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Yanni, I don't like the word alter either. I prefer modes of being or ways of being or different parts. Alter sounds like opposite of self to me which I don't feel is the case. I think everyone has different ways of being in different situations and that with DID it's just more pronounced. The darker parts if given light are what psychologists call the shadow self where all the hidden desires and repressed stuff is so with DID those parts might find outlets in some peoples cases or not if managed. The reallly nice parts might get walked on and protectors step in. There's no one person dealing with everything like with single people, there's a team so it sort of shares the load I find. The only issue is in relationships it's harder and takes more management in my experience.
Sarandipity
Beth KarenPatrickPeterthe twinsMandyRose
Sarandipity
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (2)

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views