Our partner

Is it possible for an Alter(s) to show up in your dreams?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Is it possible for an Alter(s) to show up in your dreams?

Postby Ponyta » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:33 am

My question is:
Is it possible or not for an alter or alters to show up in your dreams

Because I keep having strange dreams. Sometimes the same person or people will show up in them as well and they aren't people I know in real-life. I had one of the most horrible dreams last night. I'd call it a nightmare. I posted it below.

Trigger warning
"Nightmare"

Tons of scary creatures were after me. I managed to get away from them and ended up in my grandpa's house (upstairs). I saw my dog walk over. I said, "Hey at least you're my friend". It bent down against the floor unnaturally and began changing into something else. I said, "Oh you're NOT my dog. Bye!" I ran downstairs in a panic and slammed the staircase door shut.

I realized at that time that I was dreaming. I knew (from another dream) that someone named "Wolverine" was looking for me. So I thought he was doing it. I hollered for him and asked him why he was doing this. A male voice sounded like it came from the basement. He laughed and said, "As much as I enjoy seeing you like this. It's not me. This time anyway."

For some reason, I asked him for help. He laughed and said, "Why would I help you? I hate you, remember? If anyone, I'd help the one terrifying you." I noticed my grandpa and uncle sitting in front of the TV, holding my "real" dog. I asked my grandpa who was doing this to me. He told me that it was "Freedom". He said that she was doing this to me. The terrifying creature that the dog upstairs turned into now charged at me. I ran outside as fast as I could and struggled to climb up to the roof. I hid up there.

I hollered for Freedom. I asked her if we could talk.A female voice hollered, "NO!" I asked her why she was doing this to me. She told me that it was hilarious and that she hated me. I asked her why. She wouldn't give a reason. She just said that I know why. I told her that I was sorry for whatever I did to her. I asked again if we could talk.

She hesitated for a long time. Then she replied, "I see what you're doing. The only reason you're sorry is because you are horrified. You're not fooling me. You don't really want to talk, you never did. You just want rid of me. SHE'S ON THE ROOF!" I said, "Wait, What!? That's not true at all. I really do want to talk and I'm truly sorry for whatever I did." She hollered, "Lies, all lies! I only have one thing to say. KILL HER MY PRETTIES!" She laughed hysterically, like a witch.

The creatures climbed up to the roof. I luckily managed to force myself awake before they attacked.

End Trigger
Ponyta
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is it possible for an Alter(s) to show up in your dreams?

Postby DozensOfDenizens » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:52 am

From my experience and the experience of many others in our system, the short answer to your question is yes, and it has happened with us. Interestingly enough, a lot of people in our dreamland (or unconsciousness, whatever you want to call it) also have held some sort of grudge against us and tried to hurt us. Most of our dreams also ended with us nearly dying. They'd been tormenting a lot of us for many years, but most of us are on good terms with those from our dreamland since we've started discovering everybody and mapping our system out. Whether or not those nightmares are from members of your system, we all hope your nightmares get better and if they are dreams from members of your system that you can connect with them and your relationship with them gets better! :D

-Elder
Our Journey
Our Intros (outdated)

16+ subsystems, 224+ denizens.

We are separate so we may better function as one.
DozensOfDenizens
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby BJs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:27 pm

On the other side of the coin, quite a while ago I had a dream about myself and 3 other people. The dream itself was undramatic & had not much of a story that is all that interesting to anyone but me, so I wont bother relating the whole dream.

However after waking, I realised I recognised these people as Parts. Yet awake I had not yet met anyone inside beyond small random snipets.

This dream is still dear to me. As although they were not angels by any means – the dream showed me pieces of ourself that I have not yet been able to meet properly for real yet. Are they the real dudes? I don’t know. I dont usually dream at all, And they felt ... real, they made sense and, regardless, the dream showed me what it could be like.

I am sorry your dream is so scary, and I hope they resolve for you in to something constructive with time. But I think it is possible for them to be in dreams.
BJs
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:12 am

Postby ItsJustUs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:38 pm

What terrifying dream! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

And yes, there are 6 of us total. The last one to show up, I learned about her from a dream. I told my husband about the dream, and about the person inside me (in the dream) who said "You can call me Val." Then my husband sighed and said, "Yeah, I met Val last week." That dream was a nightmare. It didn't have scary creatures but it was still very upsetting to me and to Britney.

Then last night, I had another dream about Val, this one was much less dramatic.

I think that maybe, dreams can be our subconscious showing us things we can't yet see when we are awake. Perhaps, while awake you can try to communicate with Freedom. My Britney hated and resented me for a very long time. It's only been within the last few months that she's started trying to work as a cooperative within our system rather than just fighting against me and hating me (and the others).

Britney's issue (and I'm not saying this is true for Freedom, but it may be), is that Britney resented that she was not the only one here, nor was she the "born one" as she called it. She wanted her own life, her own friends, her own career... she wanted to be a "whole person" all on her own or at the very least to be the one in control all of the time. That's where her anger, hate, resentment and just general "I hate everything" attitude came from.

I've also heard of some other parts (not in my system) hate the "core" because the alt thinks the core person is weak, or blames them for some abuse in the past.

Do you have a T you can talk to?

Kitten
Kitten 39F-Core, Delilah (age unknown)F- Protector/System Manager/Care Taker, Britney 17F- Former persecutor turned protector, Lilly 5.5F, Little Wolf (young, but age unknown) "job" unknown, Val- age unknown, Female entity, we think she is a protector
ItsJustUs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Postby raptureblues » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I've had two dreams that I remember about alters. One was about creating a foyer inside with an audio system so we could all contact each other, then a switch happened in the dream and an alter used the body's voice to talk to me while I replied internally. I took that dream as a sign on how to improve communication and I've used that foyer and audio system out of the dream a few times now and it's worked well.

I had another dream where an alter - Lain - wrote lots of words in the journal and a drawing of themself, it seemed like they were scared or unhappy. I recently learned from another alter that Lain has been somewhat forced to become a sort of "computer" internally to monitor what information we all know, so now I'm wondering if that dream was Lain expressing their distress to me.
Dx: BPD / OCD / MDD / seeking formal DID/OSDD diagnosis

journey thread
raptureblues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Postby Ponyta » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:45 am

DozensOfDenizens wrote:From my experience and the experience of many others in our system, the short answer to your question is yes, and it has happened with us. Interestingly enough, a lot of people in our dreamland (or unconsciousness, whatever you want to call it) also have held some sort of grudge against us and tried to hurt us. Most of our dreams also ended with us nearly dying. They'd been tormenting a lot of us for many years, but most of us are on good terms with those from our dreamland since we've started discovering everybody and mapping our system out. Whether or not those nightmares are from members of your system, we all hope your nightmares get better and if they are dreams from members of your system that you can connect with them and your relationship with them gets better! :D

-Elder

Thank you!

I hope the dreams get better too. I've been having a lot of scary ones. I just don't know how to reason with them. A lot of times I know I'm dreaming and ask why they're attacking me- BUT they don't answer- Just Laugh. They seem to enjoy seeing me in pain. I really want to talk to them, but they won't let me. I wonder if the problem will ever be resolved since they never tell me why they hate me so much. The ones that do talk claim that I already know the reason why, BUT yet I don't. I don't understand.

-- Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:47 pm --

BJs wrote:I am sorry your dream is so scary, and I hope they resolve for you in to something constructive with time. But I think it is possible for them to be in dreams.

Thank you! I hope so too.

-- Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 pm --

ItsJustUs wrote:What terrifying dream! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Do you have a T you can talk to?

Kitten

Thank you!

I DON'T currently have a therapist, but I'm trying to get a new one. The last one apparently didn't specialize in DID and it didn't go so well. I kept leaving there feeling much worse than when I went. I'm trying to find one that specifically specializes in it now.
Ponyta
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Ponyta » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:55 am

raptureblues wrote:I've had two dreams that I remember about alters. One was about creating a foyer inside with an audio system so we could all contact each other, then a switch happened in the dream and an alter used the body's voice to talk to me while I replied internally. I took that dream as a sign on how to improve communication and I've used that foyer and audio system out of the dream a few times now and it's worked well.

I had another dream where an alter - Lain - wrote lots of words in the journal and a drawing of themself, it seemed like they were scared or unhappy. I recently learned from another alter that Lain has been somewhat forced to become a sort of "computer" internally to monitor what information we all know, so now I'm wondering if that dream was Lain expressing their distress to me.

Thank you for the info.
Ponyta
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby KawaiiKitty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 am

Definitely!!!!! I experience a lot of dreams and nightmares where my alters feature in them - even before I was aware of them
Currently knowns: J(host/original)
Infant/Toddler: Moirai (wont post obviously)
Caretaker: Summer
Gatekeeper: Cam
Protector: MusicaMorganaNadia
ISH: Jo
Littles: MayJoySammyHopeAlliyah
Teens: KayEmmaHansZed
Adults:JaretteJessicaElizabethPuddingAphrodite
KawaiiKitty
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:12 am

Postby Sarandipity » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 am

I agree with the above but I also like to look at dreams on a standard psychological level.

Going down stairs: to subconscious

Wolverine in basement: symbolic of "early man" and animus (male aspect of female psyche)

Freedom: symbolic of the "bad mother" (every psyche has a good and bad mother) or perhaps a suppressed good mother, I don't know, her name makes me think not bad?

Being chased: typical of children's dreams to do with development

The monsters chasing you: possible shadow self?

The dog: Dogs are usually guides or guardians

I don't know how you got on with your grandparents, if they were positive parental figures but I'm going to guess they are.

The house (representing your subconscious), the dog the guide or guardian and the demon dogs has to be passed (initiation process) for you to reach integrating your anima (which is a development process) and overcoming the "bad mother"

That's my attempt at your dream analysis but it's better to analyse them yourself. I always find standard dream analysis very useful so I recommend it especially when your having "great dreams" (that's a thing in dream analysis) like this.
Sarandipity
Beth KarenPatrickPeterthe twinsMandyRose
Sarandipity
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Ponyta » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Sarandipity wrote:I agree with the above but I also like to look at dreams on a standard psychological level.

Going down stairs: to subconscious

Wolverine in basement: symbolic of "early man" and animus (male aspect of female psyche)

Freedom: symbolic of the "bad mother" (every psyche has a good and bad mother) or perhaps a suppressed good mother, I don't know, her name makes me think not bad?

I don't know how you got on with your grandparents, if they were positive parental figures but I'm going to guess they are.

The house (representing your subconscious), the dog the guide or guardian and the demon dogs has to be passed (initiation process) for you to reach integrating your anima (which is a development process) and overcoming the "bad mother"

Thank you for your response! I was very close to my Grandma, before she passed away from cancer when I was 7. I used to visit my grandparents a lot because I loved being with her. I also love my grandpa. My grandma would play with me all the time, even when she got sick when I was 6. It was the worst time of my life when she passed away. I wanted to go too. Then the school bullying started right after that.

However- I'm not going to lie, The term "Bad Mother" triggered me because I love my mom more than anything in the world. Once I lost my grandma, I became even closer to my mom than her. My Mother has been with me ever since. I'm 27 and on disability for Asperger's (autism) and several other things. She still helps me and supports me for everything I need. She is the best Mom is the world to me.
Ponyta
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post