Our partner

How to stop treating emotions like threats

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

How to stop treating emotions like threats

Postby WeAreOne420 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:55 pm

After a few tough years of figuring out I have DID.... I treat strong negative emotions like theyre threats and id like to slow down or just eventually stop doing that.

How do you do that? I'm tired of being hyper vigilant and anxious and over reacting to the slightest upset.
WeAreOne420
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How to stop treating emotions like threats

Postby SphinxMoth » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:12 am

One of the biggest things is to first remind yourself that you are safe. If I feel my heart starting to run I take a few deep breathes and if I feel myself starting to dissociate then I rub my knees, or I snap my fingers. The others also try to help me look at any potential thing and we try to council each other on if something actually is a threat or not.

Another good thing to do is to ask, “What will be the outcome?”

I have a horrible startle reflex and hate it when people come up behind me. Most of the time I take care to avoid giving a chance for someone to come up behind me, but, as an example, what could happen in a restaurant if someone came up behind me?

Is it possible to get hurt? Yes, BUT it’s unlikely.
It is more likely for the waiter to come take my order, or for another customer to pass behind me. A chair might make a noise behind me. None of these things are threatening.

It takes practice not to go to the worst possible thing first, but it helps a lot to start doing that.

-- Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:16 pm --

Or do you mean the emotions themselves? Do you have an alter who is actively trying to freeze them out?
Dx: DID, CPTSD, depression.
Three known alters remain.
SphinxMoth
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby BeccaBee » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:29 am

self care is the best start. sleep, hydration, nutrition, stress management

then you build your grounding skills toolbox.

then you practice having feelings. feelings pass. I know that's only 7 words but it is really, really hard.

emotions are really hard to have and they hurt really bad but if you just keep breathing it passes. and the more you practice having emotions the better you get at managing them. then it's not so scary.

sphinxmoth is right about safe. that was then and this is now. now is safe. and if now isn't safe for you that's #1 priority.

if you get good at all the other stuff you work on tolerance thresholds.

and go easy on yourself. it only takes a minute to say but years and years to learn.
Female, 37
Dx: DID, C-PTSD, Panic Disorder

☆~I take Prazosin for nightmares/insomnia and it's a miracle!! ~☆

The Team:
http://www.psychforums.com/post1907318.html#p1907318
Our Journey:
http://www.psychforums.com/dissociative ... 75383.html
We are me.
BeccaBee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Johnny-Jack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:20 am

WeAreOne420 wrote:I treat strong negative emotions like theyre threats and id like to slow down or just eventually stop doing that.

How do you do that?

Here's how we've gone about this.

I would start by acknowledging that they once were threats in some way. Maybe they were punished severely or caused a loss of support? It's likely this belief is held by one or more alters, young ones, and it probably wasn't wrong at that point in time. It was probably really accurate and protective.

The holders of this knowledge may deserve credit, praise, thanks. Maybe then they'll be more open to an awareness that circumstances are different now.
Dx=DID John, Johnny, Ryder hosts. Sphinx. Ulric, Gwendolyn 50s. Marc-Dominic, Aaron, Gaul 40s. Jonathan 33. Neville 20. Quato 19. Kyle 16. Calvin, Daniel 15. Faolán 14. Mick/Mxyzptlk, Gordon, Pehr, Hoyt, Flynn, Cam, Cully, Tuck, Abel, Eberly, Will 13. Nigel 12. Orval, Jack 11. Abraham, Zane, Ty, Randy 10. Brody 9. Sky, Yanni, Vince, Luke, Hank, Xavi 8. Chase, Matt, Cole 7. Andre, Godwin, Greg, Carter, Estes, Seamus 6. Michael, Caleb, Inky, Kent 5. Bartholomew, Raisin Annie, Scott, Casper, Hansel & Johann, Wats 4. Pip, Max, Little John 3. Ashár, Henry 2. Edward, Clark, Zeb 1. Adam <1
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:09 am
Blog: View Blog (40)

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post