Our partner

Did spiritual beliefs help?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Did spiritual beliefs help?

Postby kittenspuppies » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:49 am

I was briefly exposed to religion as a child. It was enough for me to form a concept of God. My belief in God helped me greatly to deal with a difficult childhood.

I would lay in my bed and imagine that my hand was touching the God's hand. I could feel it. I felt cared for and that I would be protected.

This played an essential role in my psychological well-being.
kittenspuppies
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Did spiritual beliefs help?

Postby birdsong87 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 am

we had a spiritual encounter at age 8 and 13 that saved our life. it has helped ever since.
sometimes organized religion has gotten into the way though.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host); Mike (caregiver); Asti (co-host, achiever); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Thamara (child); Danielle; and others
our blog on resources: www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Postby kittenspuppies » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 am

birdsong87 - if it is not too personal, would you mind sharing more about your spiritual encounters?
kittenspuppies
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby birdsong87 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:21 am

risking to sound insane...
you guys know we are all kinds of things, but not hyper-emotional or prone to fantasies...

***trigger warning***
When we were 8 and recovering from severe torture that almost killed us we saw an angel who told us that we won't die from the injuries. We lost all fear and had peace while our body struggled to survive.
When we were 13 life had become so unbearable that we chose suicide. It was a cool headed choice, not an impuls. we knew we could not keep living like that. During the preparations we had a vision of Jesus offering us to help us. We were unimpressed and gave him a time limit of 3 months to change something in our life or we would go for suicide anyway. something changed that made things a little easier.

yes, it might have been hallucinations of extreme stress, wishful thinking, or us going crazy. but this has never stopped helping us.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host); Mike (caregiver); Asti (co-host, achiever); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Thamara (child); Danielle; and others
our blog on resources: www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NyxX » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am

For us no we learnt about how much harder it was if we allowed ourselves to believe things had changed.

Our abuser 'found god when we were about 8/9 it didn't last long for him and even less time for us. We were all to eager to accept the idea of God answering our pirates and that he would make things better. And for a time they were his obsession switched from me to god. Once the novelty wore off things went back to gow they had always been and I remember feeling so betrayed by that. That things were supposed to be better this wasn't supposed to happen now.

I (well the then me) had started being the host and we had other bodied friends and started acting like a child. And so when the abuse started again I had no idea how to deal with it and its the only time the memories of abuse feel like mine.

It was after that experience that we began to be live we can only rely on ourselves that we have to be able to do everything ourselves without help from anyone or anything.
nyx-usual poster
Nixie, The Pixie, Big ZuZu, Z, backup-known active alters
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Lightfire » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Belief in something doesn't mean it's gonna work. We got closer when host gave it up and decided to to handle things himself. He was doing that anyway even as a Christian. So when he gave it up he was like "Sh1t, I was doing it myself anyway. What the fuk I need you for"? Then he began pushing himself even harder than he did. For us belief only made us feel like someone was watching over us and acting like things would be better cause he was with us. But he wasn't. Belief in religion only made him stagnant in a way. We don't wanna go back to that life.
Crimson: Co-Host/Protector
Azure: Host/Sentinel
We shattered the one way mirror.
Lightfire
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 am

Postby kittenspuppies » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks Birdsong87 - I had a spiritual experience when I was 10. A voice identified herself as a Messenger and said that she spoke for others and that she had come to help me.

The Messenger wasn't going to protect me from a difficult life. Rather, the Messenger helped give me the psychological tools to deal with the way my life would unfold. When I asked the Messenger if I was going to be OK, she replied that they didn't know, that that would depend upon me.

When I was a child, I didn't ask God to make things better. I didn't realize anything was wrong. My father was abusing me but it didn't occur to me that a family should not be this way. I did not question it. So God was someone who cared. God was someone who gave me strength.

-- Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 pm --

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is so interesting to me.

-- Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:32 pm --

Isn't it wonderful Birdsong87, how these encounters so long ago continue to help. I referred to my childhood experience for decades to help me deal with life - invaluable.
kittenspuppies
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Zor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:56 pm

My beliefs have always helped me… my lifestyle is governed greatly by them. The "experiences" like described above have always been positive for me. I know that's not the case for all people, and I understand many so-called religious people are often monsters and abusers (a tragic betrayal of what they claim to live for and believe, imho).

I think a question like this, "did spiritual beliefs help?", is very, very subjective. For some of us, they have been, and continue to be, key to our lives and how we cope with things. For others, they are less important (if they matter or exist at all). For some, they have been a source of pain and torment.

Personally, for me, they've been a huge help in my life - especially in these last several weeks realizing how much of my life for the past 10-25 years (still trying to figure it all out) has been under the effect of these dissociative incidents and this condition. Coming to terms with the reality of other people, entire and independent people, in my mind… It's a big thing. Knowing that God is there and having the time of prayer and prayerful meditation has been immensely calming, reassuring, and beneficial for me.
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor - primary host & main poster
The rest of us: Pixie, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am

Postby kittenspuppies » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 am

I was no longer confident there was a God when I reached adulthood. To this day, I am no longer sure.

But it didn't matter in terms of that experience with the Messenger when I was 10. It helped me during my adult years whether I believed in God or not. It is still something very, very special to me.
kittenspuppies
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Johnny-Jack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:44 am

When we confirmed the DID a few years back and began communicating, some of us mentioned "the voice" (The Voice) or similar, who had given us/them reassuring comments or advice from time to time throughout life. Simple messages were sometimes critical: this will pass, it is not your fault, leave here now, you are good not bad, stay calm - you are safe, the mother is not right (meaning not correct).

It brought back memories of a childhood belief in or awareness of our own personal guardian angel, which was suggested by some adults, always in a religious context. One of my mother's nice alters sang a song about (everyone?) having a guardian angel, maybe a hymn.

As we soon learned, this was real. Though it felt -- and feels -- spiritual, in our case, the voice and guardian angel was our alter Sphinx. The fact that this calm wisdom or presence actually came from within, from us, made it no less spiritual.

During hypnosis, in cultures around the world, an "objective observer" commonly shows up in non-multiples and will report on the person in the third person in a broadly benevolent way. We've read that in cases of a system integrating, this type of alter often doesn't integrate and we seem to know that would be true for us.

We sense, Sphinx senses, that he is not like the rest of us. He's more like an aspect of the mind or brain, a recording and reporting structure. But still, a very spiritual one.
Dx=DID John, Johnny, Ryder hosts. Sphinx. Ulric, Gwendolyn 50s. Marc-Dominic, Aaron, Gaul 40s. Jonathan 33. Neville 20. Quato 19. Kyle 16. Calvin, Daniel 15. Faolán 14. Mick/Mxyzptlk, Gordon, Pehr, Hoyt, Flynn, Cam, Cully, Tuck, Abel, Eberly, Will 13. Nigel 12. Orval, Jack 11. Abraham, Zane, Ty, Randy 10. Brody 9. Sky, Yanni, Vince, Luke, Hank, Xavi 8. Chase, Matt, Cole 7. Andre, Godwin, Greg, Carter, Estes, Seamus 6. Michael, Caleb, Inky, Kent 5. Bartholomew, Raisin Annie, Casper, Scott, Hansel & Johann, Wats 4. Pip, Max, Little John 3. Ashár, Henry 2. Edward, Clark, Zeb 1. Adam <1
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:33 am
Blog: View Blog (38)

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post