Our partner

Self-censoring?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Self-censoring?

Postby VioletFlux » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else does this a lot? Is it common?

What I mean is, eg. on this forum, the profile thingy says we've posted over 600 times... but for every one of those posts there's probably another one we typed out then instead of hitting submit, we've cancelled it.

Just this morning I've typed up at least 5 posts and I think 3 of them got dropped rather than submitted.

It's like, we type out a long detailed thing, then we always preview it, reread it, check for typos and try to make sure we're making our point clearly and whatever.

Then after the 2nd or 3rd preview/revision, suddenly we're like "Nope, this is dumb." or "Wait this is off topic." or "Noone cares about this, it's irrelevant." and we click out back to the topic page (or just close the browser entirely) and whatever we typed is lost.

Sometimes we've typed pretty much the same post 2 or 3 times. Like there's a few topics on page 1 of this forum that we've typed out replies to, several times, and then while we're reviewing it, we suddenly decide it's wrong for whatever reason and just let it drop.

It's not just here either, we do this everywhere. In emails. On other forums. Not just me, V1 does this too. Even previous host was like this. I think she may have been even worse about it.

Is this normal? Or just us?

V2
Most Active: Violet aka V2 (16); Melissa (7); Viola (17); Rebecca (∞);
Protectors: Charlie (6/12/24); Mike (35); Littles: Arin (6); Janet (4);
Others: L---- (14); Violet-1 (22); Claire (0/20); S2 (32); et al
Body: 48f; Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.
Our Journey Thread
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Self-censoring?

Postby LadySlippers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm

We don’t do that but we have a part inside who “ washes” words . She has a huge industrial strength dishwasher spray hose and all the words are cleaned ( censored) before they come out
LadySlippers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:11 am

Postby kittenspuppies » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Yes, I re-read and edit all the time. It never seems quite right. So now I am going to send this and not use the edit button. See if I can do it :D
kittenspuppies
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:11 am

Postby PlanetIcarus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm

We do that. Sometimes we just decide to send, and not think about it any further. Sometimes we send and apologize, but we try to avoid that. Rather no explains, it is what it is. Sometimes we send without check-up, and end up using very strange language. But we do it so we wouldn't remove it.

So yeah, we do that, and we do things to prevent ourselves doing that.

Sometimes if we disagree we write it but never send. Because it is hard for some of us to have an opinion. It depends who is near I ques. And it feels like we got to say what we wanted, even when no one could see it.
PlanetIcarus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Postby NyxX » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:10 pm

I don't do it much and when I do it's about being consistent for us. We had an argument shortly after joining this forum which resulted in me telling Z we are allowed to be inconsistent here no one will care and we haven't felt the need to censor any posts since
nyx-usual poster
Nixie, The Pixie, Big ZuZu, Z, backup-known active alters
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Postby BeccaBee » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:16 pm

sounds like an insider censoring.......

Roger censors us for privacy sometimes. and yes, we do this too. not to that extreme though.
Female, 37
Dx: DID, C-PTSD, Panic Disorder

☆~I take Prazosin for nightmares/insomnia and it's a miracle!! ~☆

The Team:
http://www.psychforums.com/post1907318.html#p1907318
Our Journey:
http://www.psychforums.com/dissociative ... 75383.html
We are me.
BeccaBee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby WeAreOne420 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 pm

My life is censoring so k do it all of the time. Hell im doing it right now. Lol

I have to censor damn near my entirw system because they can get a little Kray Kray and say something pretty mean or absolutely random stuff that causesl sheer chaos and pain. Wish I didnt have to do much but I do. Lots of guilt and shame and hurt I suffer because of and it.
WeAreOne420
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BJs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:07 am

LOL I constantly do this. I look quiet on this forum - but I actually reply a LOT.... and then delete it. Not just here but pretty much everywhere. In group conversation I often go to join in but by the time I/we analyse our reply, sensor it & double check it - the conversation has moved on and it is no longer relevant. Lots of us doubt our self worth and competence, so its easy to decide what I have to say is stupid or of no value and that it is a better protection to not speak/type at all or else be ridiculed. Well I think that's what its about anyway.
BJs
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 pm

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum